Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Eircom pocket and wi-fi modems have difference in speed / performance ?

Options
  • 25-07-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

does choice of modem have any effect on connection speeds / ping times ?

for example is there any difference in performance / speed between the netopia pocket modem eircom offer on some packages to the netopia wi-fi router they offer with other packages (other than the wi-fi capability) ?

is the eircom wi-fi modem faster ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Superhands wrote: »
    does choice of modem have any effect on connection speeds / ping times ?

for example is there any difference in performance / speed between the netopia pocket modem eircom offer on some packages to the netopia wi-fi router they offer with other packages (other than the wi-fi capability) ?

is the eircom wi-fi modem faster ?
    Have a look at the massive upgrade thread.

Short answer: yes

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Have a look at the massive upgrade thread.

Short answer: yes

thanks for the reply

i am finding that thread prett daunting, i'm not very tech savvy

i'll only be getting 2-3 mbs on my line

should I go for the wifi modem then ? will it be a bit faster ?

i will never be using wifi, all i'm interested in is speed

another question - eircom tell me I can only use one of their modems ie the pockey or wi-fi modem

is this bull ? can I buy a different modem and use it ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

thanks for the reply

i am finding that thread prett daunting, i'm not very tech savvy
    Ok. Here is the post i was talking about.
    i'll only be getting 2-3 mbs on my line
    should I go for the wifi modem then ? will it be a bit faster ?
    If you are only getting 2-3 Mbps, there will be no noticeable difference.
    i will never be using wifi, all i'm interested in is speed
    Just get the wifi one.. Its handier. You never know when you will need wifi - wii, ps3, itouch, wifi phone, laptop etc.
    another question - eircom tell me I can only use one of their modems ie the pockey or wi-fi modem
    is this bull ? can I buy a different modem and use it ?
    Total Bull****
    They even provide settings to use other routers on their website.

thanks, I appreciate your help but still can't figure this out

my understanding (which could be wrong) having talked to eircom is :

the wifi modem eircom now provide is the netopia 2247w

the pocket modem (non-wifi) is the netopia 3342

the 3347 is an older wifi modem which they no longer provide

the post you linked is comparing the "Netopia 2247 (silver model)" with the "Netopia 3347NWG (my line, older all black eircom router)"

so is compareing the new wifi modem with the old wifi modem, not the current wifi modem with the current non wifi modem (which is what I really want to know)

the older 3347 according to that post is actually faster than the newer model the 2247 can that be right ?

so getting back to my original question is there any reason to believe the 2247 (the wifi modem) would be faster than the 3342 (pocket modem) ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

One modem is not going to be faster than another as they are dependent on the speed that you are going to get from Eircom.

However some modems are better than others at dealing with dodgy lines and if your line is dodgy a particular modem may give you less interruptions than another brand.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    One modem is not going to be faster than another as they are dependent on the speed that you are going to get from Eircom.

However some modems are better than others at dealing with dodgy lines and if your line is dodgy a particular modem may give you less interruptions than another brand.

that's what I thought until I read this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56673376&postcount=1489
    just looking at a neighbours network there, they live right next door to me so in theory the stats should be similar. kinda shows the difference between the two routers, we both have the routers hooked up to the master socket
    [B]Netopia 3347NWG[/B] (my line, older all black eircom router)

Downstream 	Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 	   3072 	     384
    [B]SN Margin (dB) 	                   31.00 	   10.00[/B]
    Line Attenuation (dB) 	           24.00 	   12.00

[B]Netopia 2247[/B] (silver model)

Downstream 	Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 	    2048 	            256
    [B]SN Margin (dB) 	                    18.50 	          14.00[/B]
    Line Attenuation (dB) 	            20.50 	          11.00
    CRC Errors 	                            2195 	            18

if i plug my router into his line, i get stats close enough to the ones i get at home. My SNR margin is actually better than his and i've a meg faster.

Just an example on how your router can mess up your SNR.

any ideas which modem would be better for me ? the 2247 wifi or 3342 non wifi ?

that's what I thought until I read this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56673376&postcount=1489

any ideas which modem would be better for me ? the 2247 wifi or 3342 non wifi ?
    I linked you that post. I then went on to say that there would be no noticeable difference. The speed you will get is the speed you pay eircom for.

Advertisement