Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

lying b*****ds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

from the article:
    He said: "We will not be looking to shoot fish in a barrel.

"If we wanted, we could put detectors on areas like the M50 or the main roads to the North, the West and the South and check the speed of thousands of cars.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong ...but the R136 is hardly the M50 ..so be a bit careful who you call a liar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bop1977 wrote: »
    what Assistant Commissioner Eddie Rock, head of the Traffic Corps said,

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20080316/ai_n24936945

what his boys in blue did:

luncan to naas rd (R136) just past the penny hill pub friday 25 07 08 5pm

notice how they tuck in behind the bus shelter

Where should they park it? In the bus lane?

"shooting fish in a barrell" doesnt really wash with me. The law is clearly set outand if people choose not to obey it then its tough if they are caught. Can drug dealers complain about Garda sting operations because the Gards didnt ring ahead and warn them?

If seen some absolutely appaling driving behaviour on that stretch of road so anything that cops people on a bit is ok with me. Might not stop people undertaking in the bus lane or cutting in having used them but at least it might make them act up at a slower pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

Stekelly wrote: »
    Where should they park it? In the bus lane?/QUOTE]

how about where drivers can see them, im thinking maybe the penny hill side of the bus stop.

if there is really bad driving behaviour, then the gaurds should be highly visable on the road to deter people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

bop1977 wrote: »
    if there is really bad driving behaviour, then the gaurds should be highly visable on the road to deter people.
    It would be very expensive to have a visible Garda presence everywhere. Keeping people guessing about where they might be caught is more cost effective. The fact that people behave differently when they think they might be caught, proves the point that discipline and not education is the problem to be addressed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Why not sent the pictures to AC Eddie Rock and see what he says . They do the same just after the DPT on the way into Town . Pure money making , Nothing to do with road safety . Lazy B's if you ask me !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Doesn’t matter where you are obeying or exceeding the speed limit that is entrapment.

This country is gone to the dogs, catching people doing a few miles an hour over the speed limit is completely OTT. As for the do-gooders, don't get me started.

Why doesn’t that van go up to Donegal on the road between Letterkenny and Moville where at least 10 people have lost their lives over the last 2 years.

Most in this forum would agree that majority of the fatalities in this country are occurring on the backroads but the guards won't police these roads because of health & safety issues.

Let the debate being !!!!!!!!!!!

buzzard wrote: »
    Let the debate being !!!!!!!!!!!

Begin, you mean?

Yawn ...this has been done a gazillion times before

Doesn’t matter where you are obeying or exceeding the speed limit that is entrapment.
    Have you done any research into the legal meaning of entrapment? I'm sure you'll find that it usually involves an illegal act by the police which encouraged an otherwise law-abiding citizen to break the law.

Now, if my definition is correct, what illegal act has been committed by the Gardai, that supports your describing, what appears to me to be no more than a 'detection' as being an 'entrapment'?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Doesn’t matter where you are obeying or exceeding the speed limit that is entrapment
    Is the speed limit posted on the road? If it is, it is hardly entrapment! It not as if the motorist has to guess the limit.
    sharkman wrote:
    Pure money making
    What is the problem with it being "money making"? To donate to this particular fund is totally voluntary. Those who obey the regulations don't need to part with any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

This country is gone to the dogs, catching people doing a few miles an hour over the speed limit is completely OTT. As for the do-gooders, don't get me started.
    It's probably (but I'm not sure) calibrated to be a few km/h above the posted limit.
    Why doesn’t that van go up to Donegal on the road between Letterkenny and Moville where at least 10 people have lost their lives over the last 2 years.

Because there's nowhere to park it maybe!

• Advertisement

Peasant,

Yes, this has being debated before but people are getting tired on this type of law enforcement. I would be the first to put my hands up if I was in the wrong, but a Gatos van stuck behind a bus shelter is a bit much. Getting points for going over a speed limit by a few miles mph is allot different by excessive speed. Reality has to prevail.

Cyclopath2001,

If I parked up on a footpath causing an obstruction would I get a fine? What about a someone walking down that path with a pram or someone with a guide dog. I have seen this type of enforcement completely blocking a footbath but what is done about that ?

The purpose about this is that it is sneaky and it changes people attitude about the Garda.

If I parked up on a footpath causing an obstruction would I get a fine? What about a someone walking down that path with a pram or someone with a guide dog. I have seen this type of enforcement completely blocking a footbath but what is done about that ?

It's causing no more obstruction than the bus shelter.

people are getting tired on this type of law enforcement
    What people? Those who wish to break the law but won't take responsibility for their actions?
    buzzard wrote:
    Getting points for going over a speed limit by a few miles mph is allot different by excessive speed. Reality has to prevail.
    The vast majority of those caught for exceeding the speed limit are exceeding the posted limit by more than 50%.

If you obey the regulations you won't have to worry where any speed detectors are located. It's really quite simple.

It's a no win situation here is it !!!!

But at least the bus shelter has planning permission

It's a no win situation here is it !!!!

But at least the bus shelter has planning permission

Since when do vans need planning permission?

If I parked up on a footpath causing an obstruction would I get a fine? What about a someone walking down that path with a pram or someone with a guide dog. I have seen this type of enforcement completely blocking a footbath but what is done about that?
    Look at the pics again - the van is parked on the footpath but it is not blocking it.

Presumably you are a private citizen and therefore prohibited from parking on a footpath. The gardai are exempt from such restrictions and therefore the issue of you being fined is irrelevant.

I think you'll find that the Gardai can override some road traffic rules for operational reasons. No doubt, they consider the safety/inconvenience aspects when they do. If you feel strongly about it, you can complain. Personally, I think the ombudsman would probably tell you to get a grip.

But, as to entrapment, I can't see how carefully parking on the path while detecting law-breaking speeders could be actually be the cause of the speeding. That's what you would have to argue if you wanted to convince a judge that entrapment had occurred. Now, if the Gatso van was to be obscuring a speed limit sign....that would be a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

It would be very expensive to have a visible Garda presence everywhere. Keeping people guessing about where they might be caught is more cost effective. The fact that people behave differently when they think they might be caught, proves the point that discipline and not education is the problem to be addressed.

Yes, Education is NOT the answer! Catch people breaking the limit by 2kph though and send them a letter 3 weeks later. That'll save lives!:rolleyes:

At the risk of a ban.

You

Are

A
    Clown

(Just saying what most people on here think. Your like a fly to a light with speeding threads.)

astraboy wrote: »
    At the risk of a ban.

Well ..if you know that you shouldn't ...why do you keep doing it?

Final warning ...put cyclopath on ignore if you must ,but stop insulting him or you will take a break from this forum

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

+1!
    This type of thread always brings out strong opposing views and there is no point in trying to convert the other side! However,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,438 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

To anyone unfamiliar with that road, it is the outer ring road (ORR). It connects the N4 via the N7 to the N81. It is the outer orbital ring road outside the inner orbital ring road (the M50) and it was designed to take some pressure off the M50

When it was just a local road, the speed limit was 50MPH there for years. Then they redesigned the road, making it a lot safer (from single carriageway to single carriageway plus unused buslanes, lanes in opposite directions being physically separated, dedicated pedestrian crossings with traffic lights, cycle lanes, footpaths, etc.) and wait for it, they reduced the speed limit to a ridiculously low new level.

Go stand behind that bus shelter and try and find a single car driving below the current speed limit. You'll be there a while.

Shooting fish in a barrel? Yes.

astraboy wrote: »
    Yes, Education is NOT the answer! Catch people breaking the limit by 2kph though and send them a letter 3 weeks later. That'll save lives!:rolleyes:

I'll bet you no one has evidence of being fined for being 2kmph over the limit.

unkel wrote: »
    To anyone unfamiliar with that road, it is the outer ring road (ORR). It connects the N4 via the N7 to the N81. It is the outer orbital ring road outside the inner orbital ring road (the M50) and it was designed to take some pressure off the M50

When it was just a local road, the speed limit was 50MPH there for years. Then they redesigned the road, making it a lot safer (from single carriageway to single carriageway plus unused buslanes, lanes in opposite directions being physically separated, dedicated pedestrian crossings with traffic lights, cycle lanes, footpaths, etc.) and wait for it, they reduced the speed limit to a ridiculously low new level.

Go stand behind that bus shelter and try and find a single car driving below the current speed limit. You'll be there a while.

None of the reasons change the fact that there is a posted speed limit. Theres nothing forcing people over that limit only their own decision to do so. The section around there also has houses and estates bordering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

unkel wrote: »

So its a road where habitual offenders constantly break the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,438 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stekelly wrote: »
    the fact that there is a posted speed limit

Yes there is a posted speed limit. Yes everyone that breaks the speed limit, breaks the law. If caught they will face a fixed fine and points on their license.

Phew, glad I got that out of the way. No need to discuss that element of speed checks here again. Now let's go to what matters - the morality of speed checks, especially given the promise from the Assistant Commissioner, not to shoot fish in barrels.

I truly believe the current posted speed limit there is wrong (remember, previously it was the equivalent of 80km/h when the road was a lot less safe). It is too low for that road. It is not unsafe to break the speed limit on that road by some limit under some circumstances imho. Penalising people for doing so fits exactly what is meant by shooting fish in barrels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Won't someone think of the fish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

The guards haha sure they dont have much power...just about enough to do you for speeding and tax:Dmore interested in doing you for these instead of getting s*um off the streets!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

:mad::mad::mad:Christ lads, the Garda bashing that comes from some people on boards is headwrecking. I'm starting in templemore next week and i'm extremely proud of the fact.
    besides that, the only contact that 95% of the population has with the guards is when they are behind the wheel of their car and then it's normally when they've done something wrong(speed/tax/NCT,etc.)

Most of you should be happy about that 'cos it means you aren't in the other 5% who are either the criminals that need to be stopped or else the victims of their crimes who need assistance.

Most of those who enjoy garda bashing need to thank their lucky stars that the worst dealing they've had with the guards is a speeding ticket that they wouldn't have gotten if thay hadn't been speeding.

Rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

:mad::mad::mad:Christ lads, the Garda bashing that comes from some people on boards is headwrecking. I'm starting in templemore next week and i'm extremely proud of the fact.
    besides that, the only contact that 95% of the population has with the guards is when they are behind the wheel of their car and then it's normally when they've done something wrong(speed/tax/NCT,etc.)

Most of you should be happy about that 'cos it means you aren't in the other 5% who are either the criminals that need to be stopped or else the victims of their crimes who need assistance.

Most of those who enjoy garda bashing need to thank their lucky stars that the worst dealing they've had with the guards is a speeding ticket that they wouldn't have gotten if thay hadn't been speeding.

Rant over
    the guards give themselves a bad name!like lets be honest what powers do they have????????they would rather do a tax car check rather than go down the road and get the real criminals:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

dubman25 wrote: »
    the guards give themselves a bad name!like lets be honest what powers do they have????????they would rather do a tax car check rather than go down the road and get the real criminals:cool:

I'm not gonna deny there are some lazy ones, the same as in all jobs.
    But tarring them all with same brush is over the top.
    That's like saying ALL postmen lose your post or ALL Lifeguards are 6'2 and have a 6 pack. We all know thats not true so why do some people believe that all Guards are lazy [EMAIL="b@5s"]b@5s[/EMAIL]tards????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

This it totally OT, but imho the gardaí are only effective in rural environments, recovering stolen livestock and such like.

They're lost in urban environments and I think the fueding in Limerick city is proof of that. I've my own personal experiences that suggest that the gardaí in and around Dublin are more talk than action when it actually comes to crime against ordinary citizens.

Advertisement