Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Running-in' the engine on a new car?

Options
  • 25-07-2008 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

A colleague of mine got his new Nissan Qashqai (automatic box) yesterday and told me that the manual states that for the first 1000 miles he should be careful with how he runs the car to fully benefit the engine.

The rules apparently are:
    Don't drive at a constant high speed for a prolonged period of time
    Don't drive at a constant low speed for a prolonged period of time
    Don't employ fast starts (starting the engine and taking off at high revs)
    something else (can't remember).

Don't hold me to those, I may have forgotten some or misinterpreted some of what he said.

So my question is, is this common to all new cars? I'm expecting delivery of a new A3 in September, will I be constrained by this too? Newbie question but this will be the first new car I've owned...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Haven't had the opportunity personally, but this is very interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Make sure he abides strictly by the service manual and takes the car back to the main dealer for its first oil and filter change which should be due not long after the car is run in. Small minute particles of metal will be suspended in the oil during the run in period which can be also seen when you take out the oil filter. Failure to carry out this important first service can void your warrenty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Make sure he abides strictly by the service manual and takes the car back to the main dealer for its first oil and filter change which should be due not long after the car is run in. Small minute particles of metal will be suspended in the oil during the run in period which can be also seen when you take out the oil filter. Failure to carry out this important first service can void your warrenty.

There's no low mileage short service these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Thers is if it's a new M3 or 911... but a Qashqai or A3, nope.

Run to the hills has got to have his tongue in his cheek with that reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I had to bring my Forester back for a 1500km service, and it was made quite clear to me that it was important. The car is filled with running-in oil at the factory, and this is not suitable for high mileages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Depends on what you are driving. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Anan1 wrote: »
    I had to bring my Forester back for a 1500km service, and it was made quite clear to me that it was important. The car is filled with running-in oil at the factory, and this is not suitable for high mileages.

+1. Must be a Subaru thing. I thought it was just because mines a diesel.

That link Captain Slow posted is VERY interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Last time I had a new car a few years ago I had to bring it back at 1500 miles for a basic check, change of oil and some small adjustments. Was told this was the norm at the time. Don't know what the story is these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Modern cars are already "run in" before we get them, thus there's no need to go easy on them.

I think car manufacturers like us to be nice to new cars, because they're well...new.

I've also heard that link before, a couple of mechanics all say you should floor a new car because they always offer much better performance in the end.
    Using the manufacturers' method makes them slower in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

E92 wrote: »
    I've also heard that link before, a couple of mechanics all say you should floor a new car because they always offer much better performance in the end.
    Using the manufacturers' method makes them slower in the long run.

This is very true - small Fiat petrols don't perform at top power until they've had an "italian tuneup" of sorts for one.

(yes I know this refers to running it hard for a short time to clean throttle bodies, etc... - but basically they need the bollox driven off them for a few hundred miles)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Subaru apart (wierdos :D) and as E92 rightly says engines are test bed run.

The "go gently" for the first 500 or so miles refers to the need to "bed in" brakes, tyres, and suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

E92 wrote: »
    Modern cars are already "run in" before we get them, thus there's no need to go easy on them.
    Most cars are run in but not all. Of those that aren't run in, the majority seem to be Japanese cars. But I think Volvo and a few others have a 1000 - 1500km check over - the oil is not changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

crosstownk wrote: »
    Most cars are run in but not all. Of those that aren't run in, the majority seem to be Japanese cars. But I think Volvo and a few others have a 1000 - 1500km check over - the oil is not changed.

Dad's new Volvo had a 1500km service FYI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭woody27

Dad's new Volvo had a 1500km service FYI

so does my new nissan van and my 06 opel had also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

My Volvo didn't have one when i got it 3 years ago !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

If the filing effect of the honing on the rings is true, and 20 miles is the run in then an oil change would be a must. The filter only goes down to 6 microns, 2 micron particles can do damage. Thats why the old 1500 mile oil change came in. If your going to do a hard run in I would suggest a filter magnet and an immediate oil change. You might get a good gas seal on the rings but the metal filings will prematurely wear out journals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

stratos wrote: »
    ....... I would suggest a filter magnet and an immediate oil change. ........

Quite a few manufacturers now use magnetic sump bungs which catch a lot of filings. You'd be surprised at how much metal they attract between services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

woody27 wrote: »
    so does my new nissan van and my 06 opel had also

All new opels are 30,000km/1 year service intervals. What 06 did you buy? Did the dealer insist on the 1500km service?

Advertisement