Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SCIENTOLOGY ENLIGHTENMENT

• 25-07-2008 7:24pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone explain what Scientology is?
    Reason for asking is that I haven't the foggiest what it is all about. A belief? A guide?
    Now I'm more than aware of the negative publicity regarding it and no I'm not interested in joining.
    I'm just very curious as to what lies at the core of this...thingy.
    So can someone enlighten me?
    (I have tried asking a Scientologist but my brain hurt after 3minutes.)

I'm not even sure if this is the correct forum so feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Have you had an argument with google too?
    I never feel lucky. Ever.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Have you had an argument with google too?
    I never feel lucky. Ever.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology
    That is a fair point. However I was more interested to find out people's general understanding before I delved into a wikiwonderland. Kinda want to juxtapose both and would rather start with a (hopefully) broad general public knowledge first.
    When I've used wiki before, on subjects I didn't know about, my interest stopped there.
    Also as it's scientology I don't know how much the extent is of their control over its own publicity. Or for that matter the anti-scientology brigade.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

humberklog wrote: »
    That is a fair point. However I was more interested to find out people's general understanding before I delved into a wikiwonderland. Kinda want to juxtapose both and would rather start with a (hopefully) broad general public knowledge first.
    When I've used wiki before, on subjects I didn't know about, my interest stopped there.
    Also as it's scientology I don't know how much the extent is of their control over its own publicity. Or for that matter the anti-scientology brigade.

The wiki page on scientology is an excellent read. I would recommend it, even as someone who doesn't believe in xenu.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Fair point.
    To be honest, and I am not joking, southpark do a fine line in educating about the origins of scientology too in one particular episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My basic understanding of Scientology is that it through the teachings of their deceased leader L R Hubbard , it believes that we are all imperfect humans (you would never guess would you ) and repressed or oppressed like ,so in order to live to our full potential we must get rid of all negitive thoughts and reject a lot of what's gone before in our lives ( to detailed to go into ) and you have to pay these people a lot of money to help remove all the **** ( preconcieved ideas ) that's being in your head for most of your life .One method they use for doing this is an e metor which consists of a two wires hanging from a tin can like ........thing .I know, i know, but i did say basic ;).

How do i know this ? i was once inside their office in amsterdam for a day many years ago ( like you just curious ) and to cut a long story short ,i couldent get away from them fast enough .

all proceeds of this post willl go to the society for prevention of cruelty to lolcats :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

humberklog wrote: »
    I'm not even sure if this is the correct forum so feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum.
    I'm not sure there is a right forum, but here a link to some threads we've had that should give you an idea of people's impressions of them.

Scientology
    The Cult of Scientology
    Are scientologists really only taking the piss?
    Scientology in Cork
    What scientology can do for you

I'll close this thread, as there should be plenty for you to chew on there, and as you can see we've been down this road before. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement