Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cats and milk

• 25-07-2008 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I know the recognised thinking is not to give milk to cats, but my pair love it. They will jump up on the table when you're eating cereal and try to get their head into the bowl. I have yet to see any notable ill effects from their milk drinking. Does anyone else allow their cats milk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 neegie

cats are supposedly lactose intolorent.. which a lot of people dont know.. so although you dont see any notable effects its upsetting there stomach which is why they might become a bit antsy after they've had some.. that whiskas milk is ok though... or if you really cant resist giving them the treat watered down cows mild doesnt seem as bad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Robot1

Thanks neegie, I kinda thought that any upset would present itself in their poo, (which I have a very close relationship with). But, of course, they could be experiencing upset that I can't see. I'll try them on the cat milk...might have to use it on my cornflakes though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I thought it was that many, but not all, cats are lactose intolerant. One of ours is the same .. she'll sit under the fridge door crying for a little bit of milk every time I go to get some for my tea/coffee. I'll occasionally give in, and I've not noticed any runs or diarrhoea.

See here http://www.buzzle.com/articles/should-cats-drink-milk.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You could try goats milk but cats do need plain water you can get cat plug in fountains which keeps the water tasting fresh I believe, cats seem to love it.

Whiskas cat milk is a good alternative you don't need to give it every day though. Cats do love their milk, some will drink cows milk till they balloon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

meh, I wouldn't get too worried about it, as long as it's not their main drink then I'm sure it won't kill them. Just an occasional drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭reality

cats generally only develop lactose intolerance if they haven't been given milk regularly since kittenhood, as it is natural for the body to stop making the enzymes that digest lactose once they have been weaned as they are no longer required - that is unless they are being given milk regularly in which case the enzymes continue to be produced to some extent. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I have three cats and occasionally I give them a small drop of milk just as a treat. A vet once told me not to give them milk but if I did to water it down.
    A little drop now and again should be no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Yup - if they haven't had it regularly since they were little it can upset them a fair bit, but if they're used to it then a little now and then won't make much difference. Our spoiled brat gets a small bit of cat milk (whiskas) with breakfast and supper and fresh water the rest of the day. Seems a good balance for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I find that my lot won't take soya, lactose free milk and not to happy with goats or whiskers have you read the ingredients on it ? but I was using sma LF (lactose free) with a five week kitten to build him up and he's thriving on it and all the others couldn't wait to finish the left over drop so I make up a bowl once a day for them all to drink now, one scoop to every 4-5 ounces of water and it's full of vitamins and minerals so it is of benefit to them not just something they like but once a day is fine as it's meant to replace the fat a baby would naturally get from it's mother(don't want over wieght cats). Only kittens with out mammy should get it three to four times a day for a while (formula from vet only for hand reared kittens) this is good as it also contains a vitamin that is really only found in turkey and essential to your cats heart (taurine) but not a replacement for fresh water or food can give an extra bowl to one if they've been sick to help him build himself up again. My cat gizz has an enlarged heart from lack of this vitamin with a vitamin tablet, lots of turkey and some sma he is doing great but went blind before I figured out what was happening I hope this will stop him going into liver failure, so many people are not aware how much this vitamin is needed and the complications from problems with the heart. (people give your cats fresh turkey every day as a treat!!!! ) Ask your vet about this vitamin and I guarantee he'll tell you it's a very important vitamin. I always used human foods to help recovering animals long before things were available for animals and haven't lost one yet (touch wood) you just have to think human big animal small and reduce the amount to suit the animal. Don't get dragged in to all this commercial stuff !!!Whiskers milk my a** full of sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Had a cat, now deceased, who used to knock over the milk and jump on it like a trampoline until the milk leaked out of the cap; she milked the milk. Clever kitten. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

You're supposed to mix it with water, which is what I do.

It's as weird as lettuce being bad for rabbits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Too much lettuce IS bad for rabbits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

boomerang wrote: »
    Too much lettuce IS bad for rabbits!

Was this post directed at me? Because I'm not getting it.

Advertisement