Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bats in my attic. Need some information

• 25-07-2008 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Have bats in my attic, i know they are protected by law but does anyone here know anyone in the waterford area who can give me advice on how i can stop them returning next year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

take any pics of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Why don't you try ringing the RSPCA or a vet they may know of someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

ISCPA is your best bet

on the bright side you could get UB40 to record a charity single to rehome them...........a follow up to "there's a rat in my kitchen"*

*god thats woefull think its sungods bedtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Hang some rat traps from the ceiling on string and if anyone asks questions, say you were storing them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

SUNGOD wrote: »
    ISCPA is your best bet

on the bright side you could get UB40 to record a charity single to rehome them...........a follow up to "there's a rat in my kitchen"*

That was awful. Your standards are slipping Sungod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

ring batman !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

You're are not allowed to prevent them from returning again.
    You cant interfere with them in any way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

angry_fox wrote: »
    Have bats in my attic, i know they are protected by law but does anyone here know anyone in the waterford area who can give me advice on how i can stop them returning next year.

Shotgun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

SUNGOD wrote: »
    ISCPA is your best bet

on the bright side you could get UB40 to record a charity single to rehome them...........a follow up to "there's a rat in my kitchen"

That's brilliant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Hang some rat traps from the ceiling on string and if anyone asks questions, say you were storing them?
    Shotgun.
    Have a bit of cop on lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

You'll have to ring the ISPCA, because bats are an endangered species and it's illegal by state law to kill said creature. Ring them and they will advice you further.

Lads bats are an endangered species and it is illegal by state law to kill a bat.Remove the bat using something like a fishing net but don't hurt the little thing. Or if this is a persistant problem ring the ISPCA and they'll give you further advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

stick-dan wrote: »
    Lads bats are an endangered species and it is illegal by state law to kill a bat.Remove the bat using something like a fishing net but don't hurt the little thing. Or if this is a persistant problem ring the ISPCA and they'll give you further advice.

or don't tell anyone and kill them with rat poison or something. Just because they're endangered dosen't mean you should have to put up with the nuisance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

or don't tell anyone and kill them with rat poison or something. Just because they're endangered dosen't mean you should have to put up with the nuisance.

lmao !!!!!
    thats funny !!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sorry folks, but discussing anything illegal like that will get you removed from the forum.

Last warning.

Ah here now, it is not going to cost you anything to get them removed by the ISPCA in most cases unless it is a flock which i doubt it is.

Why oh why would you kill them, what harm have they done. I'm not an animal activist but christ killing an animal just for getting in somewhere it shouldn't is stupid.

It's such small minded thinking that leads to us having ENDANGERED species.

but christ killing an animal just for getting in somewhere it shouldn't is stupid.

I agree. I like to share my house with rats and mice. You'd be stupid not too... they make great friends.

I agree. I like to share my house with rats and mice. You'd be stupid not too... they make great friends.

Sarcasm doesn't suit you.

Agreed with stick-dan, good point. I think there is a tad bit of a difference between bats and rats/mice.

Anyway, since we have gone off topic lets swing back on topic. If anyone has any legitimate and LEGAL suggestions - post away. Otherwise, don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Call Ozzy Osbourne.

Congrats to martinr5232, the first person to get himself banned for going off topic and not posting anything useful.

Grow up will ye?

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, when the OP looks in his attic, what does he see?

batman-gettowork.jpg

or

338_Bats_in_attic_Oct08_0910PM.JPG

|.Murderer.|; Congrats - you earned yourself an even longer ban. Grow the **** up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Nothing you can do this year, before next season you might be able to prepare somewhere for them to go, bat boxes or the like.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

crazy amount of muppets posting in this thread,

ISPCA is really your best bet, will likely have to put up with them for awhile but you'll get it sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

OP, why do you want to remove them? Do you use the attic space or is it just crawl space? My aunt has had pipistrel (sp?) bats in her attic since the house was built in the 70s. The only year they weren't there was when a bunch of wasps moved in - trust me the bats were better. The only time they were a problem was in the evenings if she didnt turn the lights on in the living room at dusk they'd come down through the know holes in the wooden ceiling. (so many evenings spent catching bats in tea-towels ^_^) Once she blocked those holes up they were (and are) never a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

a lil off topic but do bats eat mice?

magick wrote: »
    a lil off topic but do bats eat mice?

Apparently so, its their favourite type of food.

Afaik, only the larger breeds, most of the Irish ones just go for insects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

A tennis racket beats ISPCA hands down!:D

• Advertisement

Well done. Three bans in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement