Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bats in my attic. Need some information

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Well done. Three bans in.

I'm actually amazed another person was bright enough to make that type of comment...

Anyway, sure would be handy if the eat mice but even so if they just eat insects that should cut down on flys etc around the house/garden I guess.

I'm curious to what type of problems these guys can cause though for somebody living in the house their in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I think peoples main problem with bats in the attic is their droppings, which if there's a lot of them, can build up quite fast, not something you want covering whatever you're storing up there, etc - Even though bat droppings are pretty harmless :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I think peoples main problem with bats in the attic is their droppings, which if there's a lot of them, can build up quite fast, not something you want covering whatever you're storing up there, etc - Even though bat droppings are pretty harmless :)

Yep, droppings would be the main problem, they might be harmless, but a lot of them stink!

A bit of Googling turned up this document which has a few links/contacts that are probably a better bet than the ISPCA. The returned search page I linked to has some relevant looking links as well.

The breeding season is about now, so I doubt there's anything you can do at the moment. Whether they hibernate over the winter is another matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Pa the Blah

I remember a friend having the same prob, they told me how bad there urine can be! below is some text i copied from a bat site!
    The biggest bat problem is bat urine and guano. The nasty odor can easily infiltrate your home. Bat guano can contain potentially dangerous microorganisms. Bat guano must be collected, disinfected, and disposed of, including any fecal matter that may have fallen into hidden attic space. This cleanup requires wearing protective gear.

poo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I remember a friend having the same prob, they told me how bad there urine can be! below is some text i copied from a bat site!
    The biggest bat problem is bat urine and guano. The nasty odor can easily infiltrate your home. Bat guano can contain potentially dangerous microorganisms. Bat guano must be collected, disinfected, and disposed of, including any fecal matter that may have fallen into hidden attic space. This cleanup requires wearing protective gear.

poo!

Holy batcrap!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Holy batcrap!

Its a plane!
    Its a bird!

Oh wait, no, its a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

If it wasn't for the poo I would have said leave them be. They're lovely little animals. Ignore the stupid comments and ask the ISPCA for advice on cleaning up and rehoming them rather than making sure they don't come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Was cooperating with Bat Conservation Society for almost 4 years.
    Bats and its guano isn't life threatening. But certain safety should be applied.

The biggest problem you may face is guano spread across all the attic. Biggest concentration is just below their hiding spaces. Notice them. These are the points you'll be working on early winter.

Late July - early Sept is the mating season. There's little can be done right now. If guano spread was the problem - we were mounting plywood 'catchers' - a piece of plywood right below their hiding cathing guano and urine.

Few ot the people I've met that time were using small concentrations of guano:water solution to feed their plants in the garden with very good effect. But if you make it too concentrated - it'll be the chemical weapon against your plants.

Good thing of having bats at home is you will not be having mosquitos of any kind flying around. One bat is equal to 3000 mosquitos being eaten each night.
    Some cultures say it's lucky to have a bat at home, it represents happiness...

When you still want to keep them away next year
    Early winter when they're gone start sealing all the likely holes they used to get in. Guano be your guide.

It sometimes happens that baby-bats fall out of hiding and land on the attic floor - leave it. When parents get back they'll take care of it.

Hope I could be of any help.
    Bart

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

beazee, a helpful post at last
    very informative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Thanks beazee, There was a lot of messing about and stupid things said on this thread about how to cope with these bats.

I agree with cabaal on this one.:D

Fair dues on the helpful post

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think this topic has run its course. If the OP has any further questions, he can send me a PM and I will re-open it.

Topic Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement