Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naughty fish

Options
  • 25-07-2008 8:38pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've a Jewel 180 litre tank in the living room with a selection of cold water fish in it (Koi and miscellaneous gold fish of varying age, colours and markings). They get on very well together- the goldfish have taught the koi to dig in the gravel and they enjoy shoaling among the vast elodea forest together.

It probably wasn't the brightest of ideas keeping them in the living room- but they are very pleasant and enjoyable companions. The problem I have is they crave attention. If you try to sit down and do some work or watch telly- and don't play with them- they start to get annoyed and first of all will come down to the end of the tank you're sitting at- and then start splashing water out from the tank. They will keep splashing until you put your face up to the glass and play with them or feed them. Lots of water all over the place- not a great idea with a laptop power supply nearby- or the airpump plugged into the wall beside them- I am quite worried about getting electrocuted.......

It is a strange one. I know I'm probably going to be advised to move them somewhere on their own and ignore them? They are adoreable though- but really quite impossible........

Does anyone else have disobedient fish- and how do you take proper charge (from a behavioural viewpoint) of them?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ps- the fish are perfectly healthy and water quality is fine- their antics are based around the presence of people in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

cover the tank!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

It is covered though! The water gets through the lid. I think that our fish are very clever, they would know the difference between the two of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

lol fish don't get enough credit.

Is it possible to get a lid for the tank or a sheet of glass of some sort.

When we had a goldfish and walked over to the tank he would come over straight away or go to a certain corner when he wanted food. More brains than some people I know lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just to clarify- there is a regular cover on the top of the tank (with flaps etc for feeding). The fish splash sufficient water to get it over the lip of the side of the tank so it overflows and goes onto the floor (normally by the course of least resistance- which involves the cable for the overhead lights, airpump, filtration system etc). If you're particularly unlucky (depending on where they splash)- they may get computer equipment or tv cable etc (depending on the quantity they splash)........

They are friendly though- and love to nibble your fingers.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Just an idea, would what is called 'condensation covers' work for you ?
    They are clear plastic covers which fit on the top of the tank, between the water line and the lights.
    It might help catching some of the water before it hits the lid.
    I'm surprised to hear that they move enough water for it to gush through. They must be rather large ! :-)
    Regards,
    ValerieR

Edit : PS - As far as changing the behaviour of the fish ... I don't think you can do much there! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I must of posted around the same time as cathy scuse me repeating what she said lol.

Cheeky fish any photos of them up to mischief?

Do you have a garden, maybe they are on a campaign and want a pond lol.

Sealing the corners with cling film might work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You've trained them!

Now you have to train them that it's more advantageous to go to the bottom of the tank when you're there.

Move your power supply while you're doing this.

Have some fishy treats - whatever you can afford to give them without overfeeding them.

Go and sit where you normally sit when they come and splash. Let them splash, and don't do anything.

But as soon as they *stop* splashing and go down to the bottom, turn around and drop in a tiny treat.

Repeat ad lib until they get the idea, then fade the treats so that it's a gamble - sinking to the bottom will *sometimes* get them a treat. Or attention and play, if that's what they love most.

This 'variable schedule of reinforcement' is a powerful tool.

Never play and give attention when they're up and splashing, only when they're down from the surface.

(Unless you want to assign a particular action to splashiness: in Japan, everyone feeds the municipal fish by clapping till they come up for a treat, then throwing them their treat.)

Advertisement