Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Seicento 1.1

Options
  • 25-07-2008 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Highly considering picking one of these up with about 25,000 miles on the clock. My first car, and I'm 17 years of age.

What do you guys think? I'm not loooking for my dream car or anything as I will replace it within a few years time, I'm just wondering will this car get me from A to B without any major problems?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Later ones are fairly reliable - the 1.1 engine doesn't have the head gasket issues bigger petrol Fiat's have and is surprisingly decent once broken in.

What money are you looking at paying for it? You can get a Panda - replacement for it - for not big money at all (3,500) which is far more reliable, may even have a tiny bit of warranty left (4 years/4 years AA breakdown) and more comfortable/higher spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The pedals are FAR to close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

MYOB wrote: »
    Later ones are fairly reliable - the 1.1 engine doesn't have the head gasket issues bigger petrol Fiat's have and is surprisingly decent once broken in.

What money are you looking at paying for it? You can get a Panda - replacement for it - for not big money at all (3,500) which is far more reliable, may even have a tiny bit of warranty left (4 years/4 years AA breakdown) and more comfortable/higher spec.

you might feel and be a lot safer on the road in something even a little bigger. lots of bigger cars have similarly small engines/insurance etc.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    The pedals are FAR to close together.

That is a problem if you're a big lad, or anything other than small and female probably...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Well, my dads paying for it + insurance. He's getting insured on the car, and me as a secondary driver as its way cheaper. Do insurance companies generally have a problem with this?

I'm limited to a budget of €2000, so something like this is ideal.

Oh don't worry, I'm scrawny at 5ft 7.5.

• Advertisement

Have you tried looking at maybe a Fiesta or a Starlet or something similar? They would be better built, have more room, and you may stand a chance of surviving a car crash as well.

Generally they don't. It is however dishonest and possibly fraudulent if he isn't actually the main driver - you could leave yourself in a dodgy situation if he isn't, you're really the sole driver, and you have an accident. Also, as he presumably has a car himself, he can't use any NCB on the Sei so it may work out not much cheaper at all, particularly if you're female (not saying you are if you aren't!).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Plenty of ford fiestas about, something like this perhaps?fiesta

Thanks Alan. Seems ideal, dunno what 65k miles on the clock is like. Is that alright or appauling? Will the car stay in one piece after 3 years?

I'm a male, it works out about €100 more with his NCB removed, so its not so bad.

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Thanks Alan. Seems ideal, dunno what 65k miles on the clock is like. Is that alright or appauling? Will the car stay in one piece after 3 years?

I'm a male, it works out about €100 more with his NCB removed, so its not so bad.

I drove my father's Fiesta for a while (it's a '97 model, 1.25L engine), and they are a grand car. The only complaint with it was the suspension was a bit stiff.

65k miles is nothing, they'd go for at least another 100k miles once you service it regularly (changing the oil, plugs, etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

I drove a 2000 Siecento 1.1 for about four years. Worked very well for me, and did the guts of 70,000 miles.

It is a good small car. I'm a big lad, and never had any problem with the pedals (aside from the clutch cable breaking on me once). There was no room for anyone to sit behind me, but it was quite comfortable to drive.

Sweet, I might go with the Siecento tbh. Its cheap to insure, cheap to run, and it just seems like the kind of thing I need. I'm not mad into my cars, the most I'd use it for is driving down to a well known music festival that takes place every year with 2 people in the car and mainly I'm looking for it to go back from DCU to Bray when I go to uni in September in 2009. Other than that, it won't get a HUGE amount of usage.

Saying that though I might look into the Starlets or Fiestas!

Its all very exciting looking into my first car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's just one example of many on carzone, dont be afraid to look at cars priced €500/600 or so above your budget as people are finding it next to impossible to sell cars so make offers, and dont be afraid to walk away. The ford fiestas are actually really nice cars to drive, fun too! nippy little yokes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sweet, I might go with the Siecento tbh. Its cheap to insure, cheap to run, and it just seems like the kind of thing I need. I'm not mad into my cars, the most I'd use it for is driving down to a well known music festival that takes place every year with 2 people in the car and mainly I'm looking for it to go back from DCU to Bray when I go to uni in September in 2009. Other than that, it won't get a HUGE amount of usage.

Saying that though I might look into the Starlets or Fiestas!

Its all very exciting looking into my first car :)

OP Bray to DCU and back again is a fair trip, I'd take the fiesta or panda and by then the upgrades on the m50 will be finished so you'll be going at good speed and I dont like the Seicentos chances and also the others would be more comfy cos you'll probably be spending a lot of time in traffic:eek:

Yeah, fairness I might look out for those fiestas. Are they an enjoyable ride? Also yeah, I think I'll need a bit more speed if I'm going on that long a trip.

Are they an enjoyable ride?

I think they are quite comfortable, & they are grand on long distance journey's. You wouldn't find yourself doing 75mph on the motorways.

I think they are quite comfortable, & they are grand on long distance journey's. You wouldn't find yourself doing 75mph on the motorways.

A Seicento is entirely capable of 75mph on a motorway with no loss on comfort - I hope you're not being serious about the Fezzy? :eek:

A Seicento is entirely capable of 75mph on a motorway with no loss on comfort - I hope you're not being serious about the Fezzy? :eek:

Why, what's wrong with a Fiesta?

Why, what's wrong with a Fiesta?

You just said "You wouldn't find yourself doing 75mph on motorways"...

You just said "You wouldn't find yourself doing 75mph on motorways"...

It's easy to get to that speed is what I meant.

• Advertisement

Oh right. Yay for idioms, causing misunderstandings on the net since 1977...

I read that as "It would be hard to get to / uncomfortable to drive at that speed".

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Highly considering picking one of these up with about 25,000 miles on the clock. My first car, and I'm 17 years of age.

What do you guys think? I'm not loooking for my dream car or anything as I will replace it within a few years time, I'm just wondering will this car get me from A to B without any major problems?

Cheers.
    Sei's are good cars, good reliability and very economical. As for engine problems, they have the 8v OHC engine which is known as a 'SAFE' engine, meaning if the T/Belt snaps or jumps your valves wont get mashed!

As for Head Gasket replacement it's a very straight forward job, and inexpensive job when compared to other cars- only thing with the 8v engine is you've to watch your oil levels as they tend to leak slightly from the Rocker cover gasket (which has to be changed every 25,000 miles - a 20 min job, 4 bolts and a €15 part!).

Good way to check for a good engine is to firstly check down the block, if there is any oil seaping from the top section of the block chances are the rocker gasket needs doing, also check under oil filler cap for a gunge and into the header tank for any oil in the water - this would indicate a H/Gasket failure.

If I were you I'd go for a Punto - simular engine, more space and friends of mine have gotten cheaper insurance quotes for 02 Puntos over 01 Seicento Sports.

Fiestas are a good alternative - but 1.3 engine could be a bit pricey on insurance. I'm 17 myself, got my first car already - a Punto. Haven't taken it on the road yet (waiting to get Cylinder Head back from machinist), but they're a simple car to work on and they're going really cheap too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Do NOT buy a seicento..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQFq5EHqIWc

that'd be the number one reason...

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Clio/1.2-RN/1125367/
    Much better really, Yes they're reliable :rolleyes: but I guarantee someone will come along and tell us all how unreliable ALL Renaults are when they've never even owned one.

ClioV6 wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Clio/1.2-RN/1125367/
    Much better really, Yes they're reliable :rolleyes: but I guarantee someone will come along and tell us all how unreliable ALL Renaults are when they've never even owned one.

I'd still go for a Fiesta over a Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I'd also recommend the Fiesta 1.25, it is an enjoyable ride :)

If you can stretch the budget a Panda would also be a safe bet.

As for the Clio, if its well looked after it should be fine. I know a girl who's Clio went on fire randomly on the motorway though - however the car was previously in a serious accident (flipped over on a bend) and put back together, probably the reason. It has also broken down two other times - probably related to the accident also or lack or maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Plenty of ford fiestas about, something like this perhaps?fiesta

This will be an immesurably better car than the Seicento in almost every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

This will be an immesurably better car than the Seicento in almost every way.
    Bonnet catches have been know to fail causing the bonnet to fly open at high speeds :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Don't go with the Seicento. It's a go-kart with a roof. The pedals are really close together as someone else mentioned. I drove one once, and I did not feel safe in it. It just felt way too small, you're really close to the ground, and it just felt so flimsy that if you had a crash it would be game over.

Get a Fiesta, a Punto, or any other small hatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

go for it !! them little shopping trolleys aren't cool or fast but they handle great and are fun to whip around it, have decent reliability, just beware of failing clutches are they are generally granny/nun/ learner drivers cars...

macroman wrote: »
    Bonnet catches have been know to fail causing the bonnet to fly open at high speeds :eek:

lol 70 at best out of it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I drove a Seicento "Sporting" for a few years, which is just a 1.1 with some toys added, and they're fine around town. I'm 6 ft. tall and had no problem fitting in or using the pedals. I even buzzed up and down to Dublin a few times in it.

As noted above, you do not want to crash in one, I think it got a star and a half in the NCAP test, against the new 500s 5 stars.

Advertisement