Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Question..

Options
  • 25-07-2008 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Looking for a bit of direction on this, and I haven't spotted the answer yet in the forum..

I'm wanting to buy a gun and get a license etc, how do I go about this, can I just buy a gun ? Do I need to get a license first ? Is the license for a type of gun only ?

Maybe if someone could point me in the right direction ? And it might be an idea to sticky the thread ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Ok Jnr. the story is first decide what gun you want or need ie. shotgun or rifle (this depends on what you want to use it for ) then you PRICE AROUND as there can be a big difference in prices. Once you have found a gun you want at a price you like you can pay a deposit. The fire arms dealer will give you a slip with the guns details ie: make , model and serial no. which you present to the gardai with your letters of permission from your friendly local farmers stating that they have given you permission to shoot their lands and what acreage, or gun club letter. The boys in blue will then take their time and file it in the drawer for a few weeks until you come a ask'n (where's me licence ) then they might send it off. after a while (start to finish can take between 5 to 10 weeks) you should get a phone call to say your licence is in the station and you can collect it and pay the fee €38 rifle €28 shotgun. Upon receiving this licence you can go back to the fire arms dealer and pay the balance and collect your new pride and joy. you may want to make photo copies of any paper work you give to the gardai as they have been known to loose it, and keep your fire arms dealer up to date with any going ons.
    Hope this has helped .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

start to finish can take between 5 to 10 weeks

That's optimistic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

The boys in blue will then take their time and file it in the drawer for a few weeks until you come a ask'n (where's me licence ) then they might send it off. .
    LOL so true!! this surely points out why this service should be privatised, de gards have enough sheet to be dealing with without having to act as shopkeepers/postmen!

OP

basically..

get 2 letters of permission from landowners (or join a gunclub...most gunclubs AGM is last week in july, usually the only time a lot of rural clubs will take new members, you have to be voted in x 2 people)!,, gunclub=insurance!!

get the serial number/info on the firearm from the dealer.

get a decent gunsafe installed in your house.

when ye have all these, then call into the local gard station and make your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The previous posters have covered the mechanics of the procedure pretty well, but I'll also mention that if you're purchasing the firearm for the purpose of target shooting, you'll need to provide proof of membership of a target shooting club that caters for the type of firearm in question.
    No point applying for a pistol licence on the basis of membership of a clay pigeon club. :D

Rovi wrote: »
    a pistol licence on the basis of membership of a clay pigeon club. :D

The foundation of a challenging new sport? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

kowloon wrote: »
    The foundation of a challenging new sport? :pac:

Well, if your name's Ed McGivern and you have a big enough danger area maybe, but otherwise best stick to the shotguns. :)

IRLConor wrote: »
    Well, if your name's Ed McGivern and you have a big enough danger area maybe, but otherwise best stick to the shotguns. :)

I remember being given a lend of a video of exhibition shooting, think there was some old footage of him on it. Ridiculous stuff. Much of it illegal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭brieny1000

hey, if you are buying a shotgun yuo should try and join ur local gun club, as already stated gunclub=insurance but also there wil be a lot of lads there wit a lot of experience to help you. firing the gun can be a small part of our great sport, breeding,rearing,releasing birds, training and hunting wit your dogs etc. also if you are in a club affiliated to the n.a.r.g.c you can do a day course (which are coming up soon i think) which is very good and goes through gun safety,cleaning,gun law,dog care etc. it also looks good when applying for your licence from the cops if they see you have this done..best of luck and enjoy a brilliant sport..:D:D

Advertisement