Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ECU light on

Options
  • 25-07-2008 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi Boardsies, Just looking for a bit of advice. i have a Peugeot 106 with the engine check light on. It came on after the car was started with jump leads a few months ago.
    It has been to a garage who can't find anything wrong with it & I got a code reader myself and nothing is logged in ECU memory.
    Is this more likely to be an Elec. fault with light on dashboard stuck on for some reason, or could it be a borderline sensor failing enough to switch it on but not log a fault. If so what sensor(s) should I be looking at? Could the catalytic converter be on the way out & if so would this not log a fault in ECU memory.

Year 2001
    Miles 38,000
    N.B. The car drives normally.

Thanks
    Paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Light on = problem logged. I'd try a different code reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

JHMEG wrote: »
    Light on = problem logged. I'd try a different code reader.

It's been checked by a Peugeot garage & I got a reader in Halfords & neither can find any failure codes logged.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

paddy wrote: »
    It's been checked by a Peugeot garage & I got a reader in Halfords & neither can find any failure codes logged.

I would think it needs to be checked again. It is possible for other systems to command the engine light so all other systems need to be scanned. The instrument cluster can also be checked to see if the light is commanded to be on.

The above assumes the use of a factoy level scan tool, not a halfords level one :)

I would think it needs to be checked again. It is possible for other systems to command the engine light so all other systems need to be scanned. The instrument cluster can also be checked to see if the light is commanded to be on.

The above assumes the use of a factoy level scan tool, not a halfords level one :)

Peugeot plugged it in and found nothing, is it possible for it to be an Electrical fault with the light stuck on with no fault e.g. a faulty transistor/chip behind the dash stuck open/closed ?

Peugeot plugged it in and found nothing, is it possible for it to be an Electrical fault with the light stuck on with no fault e.g. a faulty transistor/chip behind the dash stuck open/closed ?

Its possible but very unlikely. The cluster is a control module in itself. It should be possible to check in actual values if the cluster has been commanded to put the light on or not. It is possible that the dealer did not scan all modules (not that there are that many in a 106).

• Advertisement

Its possible but very unlikely. The cluster is a control module in itself. It should be possible to check in actual values if the cluster has been commanded to put the light on or not. It is possible that the dealer did not scan all modules (not that there are that many in a 106).

Are most dealers capable of carrying out this kind of work, e.g. can they just plug the dashboard into a tester to find out if it's the issue & what kind of money do you think they would charge?

Are most dealers capable of carrying out this kind of work, e.g. can they just plug the dashboard into a tester to find out if it's the issue & what kind of money do you think they would charge?

They should be, if they make the effort. The same scan tool that does the engine management also covers the dash and all other modules.
    As regards cost, they charge for time so I suppose it would depend on how long it takes.

Cheers Mr.D, I'll book it in & update if anything found wrong.

Advertisement