Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new face of feedback

Options
  • 25-07-2008 9:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Vexorg wrote: »
    Some of our smods have been given additional responsibility in the feedback forum.

The purpose of this is to catch threads before they fall into a witch-hunt or lolcatsfest and to assist with a more consistent decision making process. Feedback has been abused by different camps insofar as some legitimate complaints have been lost in lolcats and witch hunts with both the users and moderators both members of the same community frequently taking a trashing due to a relatively small number of vocal/image posting individuals.

So in an effort to get this back on track some of the longest standing members of boards.ie have been added to the feedback/help desk team. We will trial/tweak this process over the next couple of months to see how it works.

Any chance of some guidelines on how it's going to be moderated - I love feedback, it's the best forum on boards and would hate to get banned and made an example of.

Is the recent cat culling by Gordon (which IMO was unwarranted) going to be typical of what happens when someone who starts a ridiculous thread is greeted with the respect that it deserves?

Are you going to let us know who the new mods are so I (and many other humble boardsies) will have a chance to know whether they have a sense of humour or not - or will we have to find out by being banned?

Does this dissolve the commandment from the old testament :
    "This is the forum where all users are equal except for the 5 admins:
    Vexorg, DeVore, Regi, Ecksor and Cloud"

We wait in joyful hope.

Steve.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I agree stevie. The feedback forum is boardsies and mods chance for a proper brutal style poster vs. poster slamming where ranks are discarded and the fistycuffs are fairly reffed.
    Valid points are made even in the midst of personal vendettae, despite how much they may sting.
    Lolcats are also a vital form of expressionism for many posters and feedback is one of the rare fora where they are welcomed with open arms when appropriate, and shunned when uncalled for.
    Looking at the past few feedback threads, and the entertainment and insight offered to posters on the fringe, they are a valuable way of finding out how boards works and any changes would have to be subject to close patronage to ensure that the balance is not upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I for one welcome our new Smod overlords. While the "rowdy" nature of Feedback has alway been amusing for the masses, it is an unpleasant experience to be at the recieving end of the mob's wrath (as a user making a complaint, whether it is perceived to be valid or not, or in the role of a mod) and it has never been entirely fair. I welcome this change and hope it brings the airing of dirty laundry and veiled personal abuse to an end.

Edit: just to clarify - is it still cool to use lolcats if done in a tasteful way and in the spirit of the moment (e.g. in a thread which is light hearted and needn't be taken too seriously)? I think I'd miss them if they were banned altogether :)

cornbb wrote: »
    I for one welcome our new Smod overlords. While the "rowdy" nature of Feedback has alway been amusing for the masses, it is an unpleasant experience to be at the recieving end of the mob's wrath (whether as a user or a mod) and it has never been entirely fair. I welcome this change and hope it brings the airing of dirty laundry and veiled personal abuse to an end.

Fair point.
    I reckon that receiving end must sting and I have seen some unnecessary statements.
    Wouldn't mind a nice breakdown of what the rules mean practically so I can tow the line.

Wouldn't mind a nice breakdown of what the rules mean practically so I can tow the line.

I'm with ya!

I think Feedback will still serve the same purpose, it'll still give an insight into how boards work and we'll have some great debates. But active moderation by the most experienced mods on boards should put an end to some of the petty mudslinging.

I'm with ya!

I think Feedback will still serve the same purpose, it'll still give an insight into how boards work and we'll have some great debates. But active moderation by the most experienced mods on boards should put an end to some of the petty mudslinging.

I see what you're getting at.

/calls off troops..... for now.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I support this product/service and would like to subscribe to the newsletter.

Best of luck to the new mods!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

SteveC wrote: »
    Any chance of some guidelines on how it's going to be moderated - I love feedback, it's the best forum on boards and would hate to get banned and made an example of.

There will only be bannings if someone is extreemly out of order.
    Is the recent cat culling by Gordon (which IMO was unwarranted) going to be typical of what happens when someone who starts a ridiculous thread is greeted with the respect that it deserves?

We'll see how it goes. I'd miss not seeing the odd cat pic.
    Are you going to let us know who the new mods are

Beruthiel, Gordon, seamus, Ruu, sceptre, regi, DeVore, Cloud
    so I (and many other humble boardsies) will have a chance to know whether they have a sense of humour or not

I assure you, we all have well developed senses of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Beruthiel wrote: »
    There will only be bannings if someone is extreemly out of order. We'll see how it goes. I'd miss not seeing the odd cat pic.
    Are you going to let us know who the new mods are

Except Gordon.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

About time, tbh.

But, do we need a new feedback mascot? Not just cats, but a singular face to represent feedback. I say it should be this guy.

But, do we need a new feedback mascot? Not just cats, but a singular face to represent feedback. I say it should be this guy.

A murderer with a sense of morals.
    Good choice :D

• Advertisement

About time, tbh.

Nice.
    A quick dirty job.
    No bullets.
    Everyone's happy or someone's about to die. I like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

While the "rowdy" nature of Feedback has alway been amusing for the masses, it is an unpleasant experience to be at the recieving end of the mob's wrath (as a user making a complaint, whether it is perceived to be valid or not, or in the role of a mod) and it has never been entirely fair. I welcome this change and hope it brings the airing of dirty laundry and veiled personal abuse to an end.

I would add to that - the practice of mods telling new posters to 'take it to feedback' needs to be questioned. It's not fair to throw an inexperienced boardsie to the lions cats for a simple n00b mistake. it is also not fair on the admins /smods to tell them to go to helpdesk as it would get swamped. Maybe a new, heavily moderated intermediate 'n00b complaints' forum is required.

Maybe a new, heavily moderated intermediate 'n00b complaints' forum is required.

Hopefully Feedback can now be that forum, if it stops being such a lion's den. Starting a Feedback thread, or being at the receiving end of a thread, has always been an intimidating experience, maybe that will stop now.

Hopefully Feedback can now be that forum, if it stops being such a lion's den. Starting a Feedback thread, or being at the receiving end of a thread, has always been an intimidating experience, maybe that will stop now.

That is our hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Ber says, this is very much going to be a kid gloves approach from us. I think our main aim is to keep the discussion remotely relevant for at least one page.

DeV was always very keen on the "public gallery" aspect of Feedback, and I don't think any of us want to stop that. But stuff that belongs in the thunderdome, doesn't belong on feedback :)

Rules will still be "looser" than other forums - banning someone is denying them the ability to provide feedback, so there'll be more leniency on that front.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

That is our hope.

Are you saying then that innocent new users who are sent here to complain about their infraction will be treated differently to someone with 3k posts who should have known better?

seamus wrote: »
    "looser"
    And feedback noobs take note:
    This is the correct usage for the word "looser".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Jesus H, you could invade a small country with that many admins.

Are you saying then that innocent new users who are sent here to complain about their infraction will be treated differently to someone with 3k posts who should have known better?

I don't believe I said that at all.
    Everyone will be treated exactly how they deserve to be treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

About time, tbh.

lol iguanas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

With any luck, having three or four of us who don't seem to do anything in work all day except sit on boards means that said n00bs will get a proper response before the abuse piles in.

I don't believe I said that at all.
    Everyone will be treated exactly how they deserve to be treated.

Sorry, I didn't say you said it, I was genuinely asking.

Nerin wrote: »
    lol iguanas?
    TBH

seamus wrote: »
    With any luck, having three or four of us who don't seem to do anything in work all day except sit on boards means that said n00bs will get a proper response before the abuse piles in.

I hope so and I fully support that.

/raises glass
    here's to teh new feedback.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

it is also not fair on the admins /smods to tell them to go to helpdesk as it would get swamped. Maybe a new, heavily moderated intermediate 'n00b complaints' forum is required.

I don't understand how it would get 'swamped'?

I always direct new members to helpdesk if I feel that they're looking for a valid response from senior staff and not lolcats

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

About time, tbh.

But, do we need a new feedback mascot?

Ive got it!

opossum.JPG

It symbolizes the little guys ganging up to take down the man.

And its cute ;_;

Ponster wrote: »
    I don't understand how it would get 'swamped'?

I always direct new members to helpdesk if I feel that they're looking for a valid response from senior staff and not lolcats

I'm only going on what I see in feedback so I commend you if you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

/me dusts off bat with rusty nails sticking from end

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ruu wrote: »
    /me dusts off bat with rusty nails sticking from end

Sexy.

Hoping lolcats will be allowed in the ridiculous 'fight the powah' threads that pop up every once in awhile. (As in, a lot!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

As long as I hang on to just one of these, you cant touch me Ruu! nyah

Advertisement