Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new face of feedback

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ruu wrote: »
    /me dusts off bat with rusty nails sticking from end

grit yer teeth, I'm coming in dry.......

/winces

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

SteveC wrote: »
    Is the recent cat culling by Gordon (which IMO was unwarranted) going to be typical of what happens when someone who starts a ridiculous thread is greeted with the respect that it deserves?
    Ridiculous threads will still be treated with the respect they deserve, it's just that the level of ridiculousness will have a few more pairs of eyes to judge what level of ridiculousness it is deemed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Doctors differ and spoil the broth.

Hey, it's Feedback, it was always a mishmash of opinion (and now metaphors, too ;) )

Basically, it's evolved into Judge Judy meets Jerry Springer, where the final say still rests (generally) with the relevant mod, but with the baying of the ubiquitous mob thrown in for good measure.

What I'm basically saying is, easy on the editing there, Harry.

/end off the wall reference to Eighties Miracle Whip adverts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Gordon wrote: »
    Ridiculous threads will still be treated with the respect they deserve, it's just that the level of ridiculousness will have a few more pairs of eyes to judge what level of ridiculousness it is deemed to be.
    That's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I promise only to sue longcat in the most relevant of circumstances.

and believe me ill think of something - and it will knock your socks on if and when it ever happens. For now though universal longcat is going into hiatus.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    I promise only to sue longcat in the most relevant of circumstances.

and believe me ill think of something - and it will knock your socks on if and when it ever happens. For now though universal longcat is going into hiatus.

Pussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Then surely it should be locked than culled?

Pussy.

I said sue not use :p

in fairness though a think 4 and 5 galactic longcats are part of the reason that lolcat thread has been deleted or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

and i suppose if someone has a problem with a mod in feedback, they have to take it to feedback? :p

I personally think that this is a good step, and lolcats, etc. aren't looking like they're going to be banned altogether, but merely that will force people to be more responsible for what they post.

seeing that this is feedback, i personally would like to complain about the SMods. they have been acting....... :p

hussey wrote: »
    Then surely it should be locked than culled?
    What should be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

This sounds good, tbh.

IMO, Feedback works in its own slightly weird way. There have been times, however, when the gallery aspect has been a bit too much like the lions and the Christians, and in particular I have noticed that when the bloodlust was aroused by one idiotic rant, it has tended to spill over on more genuine / naive OPs, which is a pity.

Similarly, some mods have ended up the victims of witchhunts, which is hardly fair to people who give up their time voluntarily to help out.

A quicker resolution / input from experienced hands could also help in some cases which in my opinion have been allowed to drag out for far too long. We had one example very recently where a mammoth thread was created; whatever about the rights and wrongs, and personally I could see both sides of the argument, by the end of it the mods in particular must have been feeling exhausted and exposed, and wondering why they bothered.

A few more hands on deck to help keep the place on track has the potential to greatly ameliorate all of these issues, without necessarily changing the basics of the forum in a major way. For example, I argued in the other threat for the retention of lolcats, in their proper place and at the proper time (note emphasis). As DeV said in that thread, when used properly, they often express an opinion in their own inimitable way, and, for example, I suspect a lot of people would end up being far more personally abusive to ridiculous fite-teh-powah OPs if they didn't have a cathartic lolcat to throw instead.

Now if we could only find a way to persuade certain users that this is a discussion website and not the freakin' UN, and not to take it all so bloody srsly!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Now if we could only find a way to persuade certain users that this is a discussion website and not the freakin' UN, and not to take it all so bloody srsly!!
    +1

Sense you speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

witches, lions, talking cats.. When did this place turn into a C.S. Lewis novel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jordon

Hobbes wrote: »
    witches, lions, talking cats.. When did this place turn into a C.S. Lewis novel?

:D:D:D:D:D:D: haha that was good :D:D:D:D

Fie, I demand a Dublin Treaty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Overheal wrote: »
    For now though universal longcat is going into hiatus.
    Pussy.

Pfft...you've been trumped is all.

longcat_widedog_framed.jpg

I think I can hear Snyper crying looking at his now defunct 5 gig folder of lolcats and meme images he was waiting to shoehorn in at any spurious chance when admitted back into feedback

CaptionDog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

A-Trak wrote: »

I think I can hear Snyper crying looking at his now defunct 5 gig folder of lolcats and meme images he was waiting to shoehorn in at any spurious chance when admitted back into feedback
    i must have that folder!!!
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

CaptionDog.jpg

I now regret using the word "Trumped," in my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

seamus wrote: »
    I think our main aim is to keep the discussion remotely relevant for at least one page.

How many posts per page do you see by the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

jsb wrote: »

There is no other way.

30 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

kaimera wrote: »

There is no other way.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

kaimera wrote: »

There is no other way.
    30 here.

seemingly there is

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wish it did 100.

Smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Touché.

I would have it set at 200 if I could.

Advertisement