Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I keep driving it?

Options
  • 25-07-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, need your opinion here.
    I've a '95 Jeep Cherokee and the power steering is just after going on it. I need to pull a trailer tomorrow, and while I can get another car to pull it, it's an awful lot more hassle for about forty minute's driving.
    I've no idea what's wrong with it, there's still power steering fluid in the reservoir.
    Will I completely wreck it by comtinuing to drive it or do ye feel it'd be grand to drop it to the mechanic after the work is done?
    Cheer for any help ye can give, and apologies for the lack of additional info, I have none to give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is there any other problems? I dont know anything about those models but I assume the steering is hydraulic with a belt driven pump. So is the belt still there? If it is, Your pump may have failed. Any strange noises?
    You should have normal non assisted steering in the event of a failure of the power system but from here I am not going to tell you its safe to drive as it could be other problems also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Power assisted steering isn't a safety feature so you can drive it without worry, and you won't do damage. Take off the belt if you want to.

I always thought it was Gallaimh?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

JHMEG wrote: »
    Power assisted steering isn't a safety feature so you can drive it without worry, and you won't do damage. Take off the belt if you want to.

I always thought it was Gallaimh?

Thats provided it is a power steering failure of some other steering component seizure.

mickdw wrote: »
    Thats provided it is a power steering failure of some other steering component seizure.

Rack and pinion steering is very simple and therefore safe/reliable/durable etc. The OP's diagnosis is prob correct - the PS has failed, meaning the pump. It's quite safe to drive, just a bit of a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Aye, no other problems or strange noises with it, just the lack of power, it drives normally otherwise. Good to hear it's probably something simple so, cheers.

And Gallaimh would be I guess a Scottish way of spelling it, it's Gaillimh on all the signs here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

This happened to me on a transit. the failure was obvious a pipe ruptured and all the fluid leaked out. We drove it for a few days without the power steering. The only problem was when the pipe was replaced the steering was very tight. Turned out dirt had got into the system via the damaged pipe. new rack pump and associated hosing mucho expensive. So if it was a leak try and seal it up with something. A bag over the pipe might have saved us.

wet-paint wrote: »
    And Gallaimh would be I guess a Scottish way of spelling it, it's Gaillimh on all the signs here.
    Fair enough, tho it wouldn't be the first time the civil servants got something wrong en masse. CIE calling Broome Bridge Droichead na Scuab is about the worst I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, the worst is "Baile na Fuinesoige" when its a surname...

Advertisement