Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless routers - difference between cable and dsl?

Options
  • 25-07-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭

if wireless routers (without built in modem) have an ethernet socket for internet signal why are there wireless routers "for cable internet" and for "dsl"

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

if wireless routers (without built in modem) have an ethernet socket for internet signal why are there wireless routers "for cable internet" and for "dsl"

A cable router as they are now commonly known basically has no modem of any type built in.

So it can be used with a basic dsl modem (or dsl router/modem in bridge mode), cable modem or wireless modem (as in the ibb type of wireless).

So the basic modem is used to acquire the internet signal and it is then passed to the ''cable'' router via the ethernet socket for the router to do its stuff.

Some all in ones (often referred to as gateways) combine a dsl modem and a wireless router and that's where the confusion often arises when a purchase is being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

but what i saw in maplins were the likes of netgear wireless routers for cable connections and netgear wireless routers for dsl internet. Surely there should b no difference if they are just taking a signal from a modem? Be it cable or dsl modem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

but what i saw in maplins were the likes of netgear wireless routers for cable connections and netgear wireless routers for dsl internet. Surely there should b no difference if they are just taking a signal from a modem? Be it cable or dsl modem.

If you translate your post into plain English and delete the textese I am sure people will attempt to answer you. If you require a plain answer have the courtesy to other people to post in plain English.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

oh sorry. I'm using mobile boards from my phone. Didn't think it was uncourteous or unclear though!

Advertisement