Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County question.

Options
  • 25-07-2008 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Right can someone explain to me how do you know which county you come from...

For Example, My son was born in a hospital in county Louth.. However we were living in Co Meath when he was born. So does this make him a louth baby or a Meath baby??

My husbands parents were living in Meath when he was born, he was born in a dublin hospital and when he was 3 they moved to Dublin.. So what is he?

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it..

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

I'd say Meath for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Munya wrote: »
    I'd say Meath for both.

Thats what I think...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Meath for both too after all Jesus was born in a stable....didn't make him a horse! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

For GAA the rule is your county or parish is that in which you live or in which your parents were resident at the time of you birth. Also if your parents have an affiliation with a certain parih you can play with the club there. Not strictly on the point but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Your husband is a Dub whose family had the good sense to get out of Meath. :) I am a Dubliner. Two of my nephews live in Kildare, but like me and my sister, who is their mother, they were born in Dublin. While they prefer to think of themselves as being from Kildare, I am always telling them how they are Dubs, citing how they were born in the same place as their Dublin mother. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Well, my mammy was born in Chicago to Irish immgirants. When she was nine months old, they moved back to Ireland. They lived in Mountmellick in Laois, Carlow town and then moved to Dungarvan when she was four years old. She spent the rest of her childood there.

Anyway, she considers herself to be from Waterford.

I was born in Dublin but there's no way I'd consider myself a Dub. I grew up in Wicklow, I'm from Wicklow.

I'd say your son's from Meath and your husband's a Dub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Be careful when filling in forms which ask for place of birth. Births are registered in the county in which they occurred, not where the parents were resident at the time. It is important to state the county in which the birth was registered otherwise a blank will turn up if anyone checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Quality wrote: »
    My son was born in a hospital in county Louth.
    That is the only relevant point in the post. It's where he was born. Plain and simple. All the rest is just an attempt to colour that fact to suit your personal sense of belonging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

I was born in Limerick. I live in Clare. I am a Clareman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

as far as i know, it counts as where you went straight after leaving the hospital. ie, im from leixlip in kildare, lived there for 20 years, but was born in holles st hospital, as it's the nearest maternity hospital.

my mam was born and bred in dublin, and when married, moved out to kildare, and even though she's spent more time there than dublin at this stage, she still considers herself a dub.

my dad, on the other hand, lived in england for 13ish years. born of two irish parents, he considers himself irish, despite his funny accent (everyone here thinks he sounds english, his two bros in england think he sounds irish) - he's got an irish passport, job in the irish civil service, and he's even picked up a bit of gaeilge from listening to us in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

in terms of the Central Statistics Office and the Census,

it's the residence of your mother at the time of your birth.

A few years ago Drogheda town council were trying to stir up a bit of tourist business by claiming Peirce Brosnan from from Drogheda because he was born in the hospital there, but he mother was living in Navan at the time, so a navan man he is

Advertisement