Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Cistern drip filling

Options
  • 25-07-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

My ensuite toilet when flushed is taking several hours to refill. This problem has gotten progessively worse over the course of the last few months.

I'm assuming that the valve may be the problem and will probably need replacing or cleaning at very least.

However, I have no idea how to isolate the water flow into the cistern. Anybody shed any light on this or whether in fact it is likely to be the valve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Firstly, check that the ball is dropping as the water level drops and that it's not just a case that the valve is semi seized.

Secondly with the water off, open the valve and turn the water back on to ensure that you have full flow of water and therefor rule out the blockage being somewhere else.

Assuming that you have full flow of water, then your problem is in your ballvalve. In one particular type of ballvalve commonly used in toilet cisterns, the rubber seal provides enough spring pressure to open the aperture fully when the water level drops. Over time, the rubber seems to perish and not longer has enough "spring" pressure to open the valve. Probably best to replace the valve completely. They're not expensive, about €8-10, you should be able to reuse your existing ball.

The water is likely to be turned off by turning off the cold water feed to the taps, this valve will often be found in your hotpress.

Advertisement