Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling question

Options
  • 25-07-2008 10:47pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Situation is downstairs loo had carpet, toilet was screwed into concrete floor since house was built. Was getting kitchen tiled so decided to get downstairs loo tiled also. Had porcelain tiles put in, toilet came out obviously.

Now I know little/nothing about these things, but I guess the toilet should be screwed back into the ground through the tiles, no? Is there any reason it shouldn't be?

The "plumbers" that came to put the toilet back in fixed it back in with.... erm.... silicon. I presume silicon is not really for holding stuff, and of course the toilet is moving about already. I'll be calling them (or hopefully somebody else) back to fix it, but just wanted to know if there was any reason they couldn't just stick the toilet back the way it was originally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Ideally the holes of the original screws should have been filled.

The toilet should have been fitted by drilling through the tiles and into the floor below and fixing with brass screws of suitable length and width.

Silicone is wholly inadequate for this job!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

you got to drill through the tiles and use a long screw to afix the toilet to the floor, the silicone is only to prevent water seeping under the toilet. not too difficult if you have a wodden floor, but as its downstairs i doubt it. ask your local diy for special screws to go straight into concrete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

And dont forget your screw plugs ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks for the replies folks. So it should have been fixed back properly.

It was a Friday afternoon, looks like they just wanted to get home. How they thought silicon would be a suitable way to fix the toilet to the ground is beyond me though. :confused:

Advertisement