Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 308, Please Vote!!

Options
  • 25-07-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Possibly more for target shooters, but I'd be interested in hunters opinions too, as this question is geared towars accuracy, and thats fairly bloody important for hunters too!
    Caliber mightn't be too decisive with this, but its going to be 308 anyway. So the question,
    If you were choosing, which would it be? 26" barrel with a 1 in 12 twist, OR... 24" barrel with a 1 in 10 twist?
    I'm aware a longer barrel gives the bullet longer in it, so more muzzle velocity, (please correct me if I'm wrong!), and that a faster rate of twist can stabilise a wider and heavier range of bullet. So which is more important?
    So please, let me know which your choice would be, and feel free to elaborate! :)

Which would YOU choose? 9 votes

26" barrel / 1 in 12 twist
    0% 0 votes
    24" barrel / 1 in 10 twist
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I reckon Sako TRG. Mate had one with a PM2, awsome :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

well if it was me I'd be asking a more knowledgeable bunch than us :P Where's foxshooter243 when you need him.

but I would think it depends on what type of target shooting you are doing. What range do you intend to shoot?

Stability is very important but at long range you need the bullet to keep super sonic too so a long barrel helps that.

You need to ask yourself, what ammo am I going to be shooting and at what range.

Then does your barrel choice keep that round stable and is it still super sonic at the range you will be shooting. I'm sure there's some ballistic software out there to answer those questions.

If reloading was an option then you could make a round to suit your needs but you may have to do it the other way around. Pick your target shooting ammo and pick a rifle to suit.

Again I am not a long range shooter so I don't really know, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

dos29 wrote: »
    Possibly more for target shooters, but I'd be interested in hunters opinions too, as this question is geared towars accuracy, and thats fairly bloody important for hunters too!
    Caliber mightn't be too decisive with this, but its going to be 308 anyway. So the question,
    If you were choosing, which would it be? 26" barrel with a 1 in 12 twist, OR... 24" barrel with a 1 in 10 twist?
    I'm aware a longer barrel gives the bullet longer in it, so more muzzle velocity, (please correct me if I'm wrong!), and that a faster rate of twist can stabilise a wider and heavier range of bullet. So which is more important?
    So please, let me know which your choice would be, and feel free to elaborate! :)

sako TRG -22 has a 26" barrel with a 1 in 11 twist ,what are your plans for the rifle ,F class,,, 1000 yd if so long barrels are the norm also are you going to shoot off the shelf ammo or custom loaded,.i have a 243 with a 18" barrel i have shot inchish groups with it at 300 yds .with 95 gr federals and horandy a lot of tactial 308s are coming with 20" barrels now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

It kinda depends on what weight bullet you want to use and what range you want to shoot out to.Their seems to be two trains of thought with this.You could pick a slower twist say 1'12 and throw 155's and high speed.These are moving faster so are affected by wind less. However because lighter some might say less stable consistent than the heavier weights.

On the other hand a 1'10 would tend to favour something on the heavier end of the spectrum say 180's.They have a much higher ballistic coefficient so buck wind better.However they are moving slower in comparison so more elevation and windage is needed which makes things trickier.

I wouldn't say either type would be more accurate.Just pick a load that shoots well and is consistant and the practice will sort it out.This is based on a target shooting perspective, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Thanks folks. Gonna go with the 26" barrel. I think overall its looking like its more important than having a larger choice of bullet weights.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Red Renard

dos29 wrote: »
    Thanks folks. Gonna go with the 26" barrel. I think overall its looking like its more important than having a larger choice of bullet weights.
    Thanks again.

24" barrel / 1 in 10 twist is the twist that will give you the greater choice of bullet weight dos29 so I understand. I have researched this recently and from what I can gather you will find it hard to get any target ammo here over 168g in weight. The best target ammo in 308 is 155g lapua or 168g Honaday.You are right to go with the 26" barrel / 1 in 12 twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Red Renard wrote: »
    24" barrel / 1 in 10 twist is the twist that will give you the greater choice of bullet weight dos29 so I understand. I have researched this recently and from what I can gather you will find it hard to get any target ammo here over 168g in weight. The best target ammo in 308 is 155g lapua or 168g Honaday.You are right to go with the 26" barrel / 1 in 12 twist.

Red Renard, this is the only way to go, Savage Announces New Palma, have a look at the link and go to home page, it speaks for its self. Hope to see one on Sunday in The Mid-Lands. Also look at the Model 12F/TR Target.

I would prefer the Palma.

Sikamick

http://www.savagearms.com/breakingnews052208.htm

Sikamick wrote: »
    Red Renard, this is the only way to go, Savage Announces New Palma, have a look at the link and go to home page, it speaks for its self. Hope to see one on Sunday in The Mid-Lands. Also look at the Model 12F/TR Target.

I would prefer the Palma.

Sikamick

http://www.savagearms.com/breakingnews052208.htm

Sikamick,do you know if you can order the palma stock for the Model 12F/TR. I would stick with the faster 1 in 12 twist (bull barrel ) 12F/TR.

Sikamick,do you know if you can order the palma stock for the Model 12F/TR. I would stick with the faster 1 in 12 twist (bull barrel ) 12F/TR.

I think you would have to contact Savage on that one, but if you want to customize the 12F/TR Barrel and Action with a specific stock John Green is the one to contact. PM me and I will give you his details.

I will let you know how I get on in the Mid-Lands on Sunday.

Sikamick.

Hi Sikamick, did you get to the Mid-lands today?

• Advertisement

Yes, what a day, got to shoot my first 600 yrd V BULL.

Bought a really great .22 BSA Martini Mark III Bull Barrel Rifle, cost 395.00. I tried it on the 50meter range, shoots great groups.

I bought it from Jim Griffin of the Tackle Shop, he has some lovely secondhand BSA Martini's .22's and Anschutz .22 rifles also Lee Enfield .303 Mark 4's for sale.

The club I belong to (Dublin Target Sports Club) have affiliated to NRAI, we will be doing a lot of shooting down there in the future.

Sikamick

Sikamick wrote: »
    Yes, what a day, got to shoot my first 600 yrd V BULL.

Bought a really great .22 BSA Martini Mark III Bull Barrel Rifle, cost 395.00. I tried it on the 50meter range, shoots great groups.

I bought it from Jim Griffin of the Tackle Shop, he has some lovely secondhand BSA Martini's .22's and Anschutz .22 rifles also Lee Enfield .303 Mark 4's for sale.

The club I belong to (Dublin Target Sports Club) have affiliated to NRAI, we will be doing a lot of shooting down there in the future.

Sikamick

Do you know if Jim Griffin has any Lee Enfields in .308?

Great shooting Sikamick, 600 yards is a long way down range, well done.

Do you know if Jim Griffin has any Lee Enfields in .308?

I don't know about the .308 in Lee Endfield if you give Jim a call at
    05793-55979 he will be able to give you the answer.

He has Lee Endfield .303 and Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 great for the Classic shoots.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sorry to drag this one up, but just a quick question. What weight bullet will each twist usefully stabilise? Will a 1:12" twist stabilise 175gr bullets? And will it keep lighter bullets supersonic out to 1000 yards? Might be interested in trying a bit of F/TR at some point, and just curious as to how effective a 26" barrel with a 1:12" twist would be. Also, is there a useful way to calculate the range of bullets a twist rate will stabilise in a given calibre so I don't have to ask more stupid questions?

Sorry to drag this one up, but just a quick question. What weight bullet will each twist usefully stabilise? Will a 1:12" twist stabilise 175gr bullets? And will it keep lighter bullets supersonic out to 1000 yards? Might be interested in trying a bit of F/TR at some point, and just curious as to how effective a 26" barrel with a 1:12" twist would be. Also, is there a useful way to calculate the range of bullets a twist rate will stabilise in a given calibre so I don't have to ask more stupid questions?
    http://www.ebr-inc.net/articles_Greenhill_Formula.html:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Thanks Red Renard, that's seriously useful.

Advertisement