Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing car - but for what?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I like the sturdyness of my Astra G, though I haven't driven a H so I'm not sure if it applies. I don't like the styling though, and she won't like the harsh clutch after a Corolla.

• Merc B180 CDI Sport - Band B, €31k ish
    • Opel Meriva 1.7 CDTi Design, - Band B, €23k ish
    • Peugeot 308 1.6 110 HDI SV, Band B, €27k ish
    • Peugeot 207 1.6 HDI GT FAP, Band B, €24k ish ***could be a fun car to mess around in***
    • Suzuki SX4 1.6 DDiS GLX, Band B, €20k ish
    • Fiat Bravo Emotion 1.9 120 M-Jet, Band B, €26k ish
    • Mazda 3 1.6 TDI Touring 4 Door Saloon, Band B, €23k ish
    • Toyota Prius, Band A, €27k ish (I know it's auto, but build a bridge and drive over it FFS)
    Unfortunately the Lancer isn't available in diesel so is in Band C.

Some of the more heavily depreciating ones cost less so the overall cost of ownership could come into play there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

ninty9er wrote: »
    Peugeot 308 1.6 110 HDI SV, Band B, €27k ish

Peugeot reliability? Don't they depreciate rather heavily too?
    Peugeot 207 1.6 HDI GT FAP, Band B, €24k ish ***could be a fun car to mess around in***

Ditto, but too small.
    Fiat Bravo Emotion 1.9 120 M-Jet, Band B, €26k ish

See 308 answer;)! I realise that FIAT and PSA make reliable diesel engines, but that's only one area of reliability. I don't trust either of them for anything outside those diesel engines. FIATs depreciate like a stone too, and the 1.9 Multijet 120 has been replaced by a more efficient 1.6 with either 105 or 120 bhp. I think certain variants of the 1.6 make it into band A as well.
    Mazda 3 1.6 TDI Touring 4 Door Saloon, Band B, €23k ish

Yup, definately getting a look. Hopefully now that Mazdas are directly imported depreciation and customer service will have improved. The 110 bhp diesel should offer enough go too.
    Toyota Prius, Band A, €27k ish (I know it's auto, but build a bridge and drive over it FFS).
    It's not fast enough(0-100 in 11 seconds) and it's an automatic.

Forgot to add that pseudo SUVs like the Qashqai and MPVs don't interest her even slightly.

E92 wrote: »
    Peugeot reliability? Don't they depreciate rather heavily too?

There aren't likely to be any particular makes that escape reliability issues these days, and it's supposed to be "reliable for a Peugeot" anyway. plus it's the same engine that did 2020km to a tank in the 207.
    It's not fast enough(0-100 in 11 seconds) and it's an automatic.

Fast isn't all in 0-100. How it performs from 80-110 is more important for overtaking, though I can't find the figures. Anyway, how often is she likely to be in a hurry to 100 that .9 of a sceond makes a difference.

plus it's the same engine that did 2020km to a tank in the 207.

I believe that as much as I believe the claims about hybrid economy.
    Fast isn't all in 0-100. How it performs from 80-110 is more important for overtaking, though I can't find the figures. Anyway, how often is she likely to be in a hurry to 100 that .9 of a sceond makes a difference.

I appreciate that 0-100 isn't the be all and end all, and like every test it has its flaws. However, like the points system for the Leaving Cert it has stood the test of time as a fair measure of performance.

Anyway the Civic i-CTDi costs around the same as the Prius but does 0-100 in 8.5 rather than 10.9 seconds.

We're not getting a Prius, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Octavia VRS TDi :D
    "Does exactly what it says on the tin!"

• Advertisement

Driving dynamics are not important at all(so no pesudo hot hatches with diesel engines or hot hatches full stop please). Neither is price(for the moment) but it must be good value for money.

What are your suggestions?
    vectra wrote: »
    Octavia VRS TDi :D
    "Does exactly what it says on the tin!"

What did I say in my OP:p?

Well in fairness we did only have 2 out of 36 posts with a car featured on something like 44% of all Motors threads:D!

Anyway the Octavia vRS TDI is in band D, way out side my requirement for either band A or B!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Petal1

definitly the 118d / 120d for me, cracking looking car and until you've driven the new efficient dynamics its unfair to comment. its an absoulute gift in city traffic. ok boot space is small but most certainly a driving machine. 100 a year to tax 50mpg plus. Residual value is better than anything in its league, no one will turn there nose up at one in a year or two when you want to trade it again ! And yes i drive one lol. Well worth every cent imo. Don't knock it till you've tried it

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Petal1 wrote: »
    Residual value is better than anything in its league, no one will turn there nose up at one in a year or two when you want to trade it again !

try trading it in in current climate. A3 residuals are better also. Although discounts aren't as high from new.

copacetic wrote: »
    try trading it in in current climate. A3 residuals are better also. Although discounts aren't as high from new.

Granted discounts are'nt as high, but bmw 118d green car of the year 2008 speaks volumes, margins on new bmw are very tight across the board approx 5% if you push a dealer very hard. Audi prob 8-10 %, imo to try and get as much audi units on the road.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Petal1 wrote: »
    Granted discounts are'nt as high, but bmw 118d green car of the year 2008 speaks volumes, margins on new bmw are very tight across the board approx 5% if you push a dealer very hard. Audi prob 8-10 %, imo to try and get as much audi units on the road.

I was offered much more than that off when looking at one series 2 years ago. They don't sell well and BMW dealers were desperate to sell them. You get nothing like that off an audi a3. Based on your opinion above doesn't sound like you have much experience or knowledge on this issue though.

• Advertisement

Ring a bmw dealer tommorrow and sus out the best discount you can get on a new 118d straight deal and see how much you get off it mate, believe me i shopped the lenght and breath of the country to get a good buy!! Ended up buying locally as the dealer did'nt want to lose me to another. Also ring a vw/audi dealer and i can guarantee you the discount is nearly twice the bmw's, not saying thats a bad thing.

What did I say in my OP:p?

Well in fairness we did only have 2 out of 36 posts with a car featured on something like 44% of all Motors threads:D!

Anyway the Octavia vRS TDI is in band D, way out side my requirement for either band A or B!

I thought the VRS TDi was band C ?
    28,925 RS2.0ltr TDI 6-Speed Manual 125kW/170bhp CO2 g/km150 Tax=€290
    :confused:

I honestly think you would be hard pushed to get a car of better spec etc. for similar money.
    But then again.. Every man for himself :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

vectra wrote: »
    I thought the VRS TDi was band C ?
    :confused:

I honestly think you would be hard pushed to get a car of better spec etc. for similar money.
    But then again.. Every man for himself :cool:

+1.Get it in white and its great looking too:D.I would think that its performance credentials mean it would hold its value as well as the honda.Probably more standard equipments too.It really is a special car to spend time in for that money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Seat Altea 2.0 Tdi ?(140/170bhp)

Skodas don't hold their value well. Besides we don't want a hot hatch(or a pretend hot hatch, which is what the Octavia vRS TDI, like any diesel "hot hatch" is). Hot hatches are less comfy are more driver focused than normal cars, which are things I appreciate, but it's my mum that's buying the car and what she wants is something than can move but does not value driving dynamics at all, so obviously the added noise and reduced comfort of hot hatches holds zero appeal to her.

I know that the Audi A3 is dearer than the Skoda, OK it has 30 bhp less and less standard equipment to boot but that Audi badge will be worth its weight in gold come resale time, that and the fact that the A3 is half the price to tax as well despite being built on the same platform. It is a way nicer car inside too IMO.

My apologies for saying the Skoda was in band D:o, it certainly was a few months ago, but no matter.

If an E segment car can have 177 bhp and do 0-100 in 8.5 seconds yet still be in band B they why should a C segment car with an engine of similar size and power cost more to tax:confused:?

I'm still struggling to think of a car better than the Civic i-CTDi though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Seat Altea 2.0 Tdi ?(140/170bhp)

E92 has already said that a high driving position isnt wanted but seat are definately worth a look.The 125bhp 1.4 leon is great value for money IMO and comes with a lot of equipment.Much better value than the equivalent golf.Pity that engine is'nt available in the octavia yet

Zonda999 wrote: »
    E92 has already said that a high driving position isnt wanted but seat are definately worth a look.The 125bhp 1.4 leon is great value for money IMO and comes with a lot of equipment.Much better value than the equivalent golf.Pity that engine is'nt available in the octavia yet

The Altea does not have a high driving position, its not a 4x4 or an MPV.

It's also not in the required band A or B either. I'd be concerned about depreciation in a Seat too.

Now to be fair I expect that in a couple of years when we're well used to the Volkswagen Group directly importing the cars themselves that Seat and Skoda will be much more resistant to depreciation(and why shouldn't they be, since more and more people by the day know that they're VWs that cost a lot less), but I'd rather wait and see tbh before they put their own money into something that doesn't hold value terribly well at the moment.

Remember they're used to Toyotas with their glacial depreciation.

My parents LOVE diesel cars, so it'll have to be a paraffin stove really(since any of the petrols that sound good like the VAG 1.4 TSI are outside of the required band B it was inevitable really). I don't know of any 4/5 door small family car that's petrol that can offer decent performance, bar the 118i, which we're 100% not getting that's in band B.

Rather embarrassing for someone who doesn't like diesels at all that his old pair are getting rid of their petrols within 6 months:D:o!

Zonda999 wrote: »
    +1.Get it in white and its great looking too:D.I would think that its performance credentials mean it would hold its value as well as the honda.Probably more standard equipments too.It really is a special car to spend time in for that money

Agreed on everything..
    But for me it would simply have to be "Race Blue" :D

-have 4 or 5 doors(but not an estate)
    but it must be good value for money.

I know you are going to say NO straight up. BUT
    seeing as it will be your Mum ( Mainly ) that will drive this. would you not consider taking her to your nearest SEAT dealer and get her to Test drive the same as I bought this year?
    Cordoba 1.4 TDI s.. plenty of "Poke" for her if she needs it.
    Reliable
    Cheap to run.. >> { I get near 800 Kms to the tank mainly around town driving and giving it welly when needed :D }
    Cheap on Tax.
    Comfortable
    not much over €17k to buy new so to be honest, you could afford to take a drop when trading again.

Just a thought.
    But,
    Like I say,
    "Dont knock it till you try it" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was going to recommend a Volvo S40 diesel SE whether it be the 1.6 or 2.0 litre but I am not sure about depreciation on them to be honest. Saying that the diesel will probably retain a nice proportion of it's resale value being diesel and the S40 in SE is very well equipped and the leather seats are some of the most comfortable in the business.

I'm on the look out for a used S40 diesel myself at the moment but so far prices are all over the place.

My other recommendation would be to wait for the new Honda Accord D-TEC which should be here late September/October afaik.

e92 have u decided a short list yet. Interested to see what u have. Going to be in a similar position myself in jan. Deciding to either keep mine and get a 1.4tsi ibiza for herself or get a subaru legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

About the Koreans and other depreciators, seems everything looses money to be honest except very little stuff, most things loose 4k every year anyways, whether it is a focus or a i30 or 118d unless you have maybe a mini or something very retro. Even 3 series etc seems to loose same type of monies

good point but when it comes to shifting the bm will make faster return on investment.

e92 have u decided a short list yet.
    No, for the simple reason that I'm waiting to see is there anything I might have overlooked. There have been some very good suggestions, for which I'm most grateful.

Surprised that thus far only bazz26 has mentioned the S40, and also surprised that no-one has mentioned the Astra either. Also surprised at how many think the 118d is such a good car too; it does absolutely nothing for a so-called "BMW fanboi".

The Volvo is familiar territory for me since I used to own the old S40, and while it's certainly not a car that excited me by any measure of means it was a car I had an enormous amount of respect for. Although I haven't gone in the new one it would be a major shock if it wasn't comfy and able to do long journeys. I'm sure it fulfils everything else I asked for bar of course depreciation, but the smaller Volvos are pretty OK on depreciation; the big ones like the S80 depreciate like a stone.

How reliable is the PSA diesel? I trust Volvo enough on all other areas but that's the only thing I'm unsure of.

No, for the simple reason that I'm waiting to see is there anything I might have overlooked. There have been some very good suggestions, for which I'm most grateful.

Surprised that thus far only bazz26 has mentioned the S40, and also surprised that no-one has mentioned the Astra either. Also surprised at how many think the 118d is such a good car too; it does absolutely nothing for a so-called "BMW fanboi".

The Volvo is familiar territory for me since I used to own the old S40, and while it's certainly not a car that excited me by any measure of means it was a car I had an enormous amount of respect for. Although I haven't gone in the new one it would be a major shock if it wasn't comfy and able to do long journeys. I'm sure it fulfils everything else I asked for bar of course depreciation, but the smaller Volvos are pretty OK on depreciation; the big ones like the S80 depreciate like a stone.

How reliable is the PSA diesel? I trust Volvo enough on all other areas but that's the only thing I'm unsure of.

I thought it was for your mother and not a "BMW fanboi" :confused:

Also
    Reading your reply there it seems as the decision is going to be made by you.!
    Again I thought it was you mothers decision?

I suppose a short list would be a good idea as to what YOU would consider. Then people could give their views on those choices. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I know a guy working for Volvo in the UK, and neither himself nor any of his fellow engineers would bother with a Volvo since Ford took over, they reckon they're not the best built. The PSA engine is very good though.

Could she push to band C for a Legacy? Still only €290 to tax.

5 doors no estates. Op I actually drove the 1.9tdi in the altea XL today and it was fine, very quiet.

• Advertisement

5 doors no estates. Op I actually drove the 1.9tdi in the altea XL today and it was fine, very quiet.

Advertisement