Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

hypermiling

Options
  • 26-07-2008 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

I am sure most people on here have heard of this or there probably was a thread I missed. I have been trying some of the techniques. It's amazing what can be achieved with even the simple steps.

I have always stayed back and and watched the traffic trying to avoid using the brakes by driving well back. Adding coasting to this and switching off the engine at lights really dramaticly improves things. People seem divided on coasting(with the engine running) is it safe or not, I don,t see a problem with it. The whole Idea of hypermiling is hang back and watch whats going on more closely, so not being in gear should not be a problem.

The real enemy is idling I have been doing this for a few weeks and idling in traffic or just while you put your belt on really ruins the results. Slow acceleration and the way you approach a hill gives great results. Coasting with the engine off but acc on is a big saver, I might use it in rural areas, not a fan of it though.

I managed to get 45 mpg on a two litre car and it was a good experiment. However driving like a granny to save a few bob is a pain and I see petrol is going down again. Now what rpm does the cam come on at again.:)

Oh just to add I wonder in the long term if the value would be offset by premature wear of the starter moter, and drive train components i.e. the extra clutching and gear shock matching of coasting etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

I would def agree that making an extra effort concentrating on fuel economy definately has a great effect. I don't go to the extremes of turning off the engine but by simply accelerating slowly i manage to get 55MPG from my 1.9TDI 130BHP Passat driving from Nenagh to Limerick each day. I was only getting about 45 before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

stratos wrote: »
    Coasting with the engine off but acc on is a big saver, I might use it in rural areas, not a fan of it though.

Coasting with the engine off = no servo assist on your brakes = can't stop in an emergency.

Please don't say you've actually done this. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

life's too short tbh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

I would say that coasting with your engine off is a very bad idea, as you would not be in total control of the car.

My car cuts the fuel supply if you coast up to a stop in gear with your foot off the accelerator, don't know about anyone elses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Coasting with the engine off is only on long-ish straight stretches with good visibility ahead. It's not done around town or on twisty roads.

There is usually enough reserve in the brake booster for one or two hard stops with the engine off.

Coasting is an inherent part of hypermiling, as is easy driving and anticipating traffic. The term hypermiling was coined by Wayne Gerdes of cleanmpg.com.. they have a interesting register of hypermilers. Interesting to see a Prius average 100mpg over the last 2,600 miles for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

some of the hypermiling tips that i've come across in the internet are just plain dangerous, coasting with the engine off is one of them. Others are very inconsiderate of other drivers (like matching your speed to the best efficiency of the engine regardless of the traffic around you ...that usually results in what others would call dawdling)

Just cutting down on hectic driving round town and in heavy traffic will save you enough fuel so that you don't have to feel guilty when you floor it on the next stretch of open road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

I think Audi have tested a traffic light system in Inglestadt. There are sensors on every traffic light that broadcast to the car. The computer then tells you what speed to drive at the avoid getting red lights etc.. the traffic management system also sents you on the most optimal route. Seemingly it increased mpg by over 25% and significantly reduced the co2 ouput because there very little braking.

Thought that was a really good idea. As a country we are small enough so would be great to get this tested and implemented in Dublin etc..

peasant wrote: »
    some of the hypermiling tips that i've come across in the internet are just plain dangerous, coasting with the engine off is one of them.
    I'd actually like to know why some people think that's dangerous when it's done on the open road with good visibility etc, because
    a) it's done with the gearbox in gear, the clutch pedal to the floor and the ignition on. Engine can be clutch started in an instant
    b) The brake booster has enough reserve for one or two full force stops anyway
    c) At speed power assisted steering isn't required

The only thing that you can't do is floor it, as you've to clutch start first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

JHMEG wrote: »
    I'd actually like to know why some people think that's dangerous ....

There is quite some potential for gettin it wrong, especially for the inexperienced driver.

You could make the mistake of turning the ignition off completely and the key all the way to steering lock.:eek:

Letting speed get too low could cause you to stall the engine on re-start or get your gears wrong and go into a skid

peasant wrote: »
    There is quite some potential for gettin it wrong, especially for the inexperienced driver.

You could make the mistake of turning the ignition off completely and the key all the way to steering lock.:eek:

Letting speed get too low could cause you to stall the engine on re-start or get your gears wrong and go into a skid
    It's a mechanically propelled vehicle. There's potential for getting lots of things wrong and doing serious damage. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be done tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd actually like to know why some people think that's dangerous when it's done on the open road with good visibility etc, because
    a) it's done with the gearbox in gear, the clutch pedal to the floor and the ignition on. Engine can be clutch started in an instant
    b) The brake booster has enough reserve for one or two full force stops anyway
    c) At speed power assisted steering isn't required.
    Will ABS and ESP function when the engine's not runnning? Even if they did, a car with dead PS is a completely different thing to a car with no PS - the steering will be a lot heavier. Most people will be unable to control it as well in a panic situation as they would if the engine was running.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Will ABS and ESP function when the engine's not runnning?
    My ABS does as it works off a high pressure tank. EBD I can't say for definite but since it is Electric I don't see why not.
    Anan1 wrote:
    Even if they did, a car with dead PS is a completely different thing to a car with no PS - the steering will be a lot heavier. Most people will be unable to control it as well in a panic situation as they would if the engine was running.
    I wouldn't agree with that about the PS, based on personal experience. In addition a lot of PAS these days are electric and work with the engine off.

The bottom line is it's not safe to coast just about anywhere. It's like anything else when it comes to driving: it should only be done when it's safe to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If the worst did happen and the road was in any way slippy (e.g. new rain) then ABS would put paid to the servo resevoir in an instant. Trying to bump start in the middle of all that could also cause the wheels to lock. Not a nice thing to happen in the middle of trying to steer around the deer that just appeared in front of you.

I know that's an unlikely situation but "unlikely situations" are generally when you need everything on your side.

Fair enough, a well experienced driver might cope with that, someone with little experience would end up in the ditch.

The other thing I want to be sure of is: do the airbags still work with the engine off?

SteveC wrote: »
    If the worst did happen and the road was in any way slippy (e.g. new rain) then ABS would put paid to the servo resevoir in an instant. Trying to bump start in the middle of all that could also cause the wheels to lock.
    Absolutely. Probably best not to do it in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Absolutely. Probably best not to do it in those conditions.
    I think the point here is that road conditions can go from fine to critical in the blink of an eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

There was a big piece in USA Today a few weeks back on hypermiling.
    It's almost developed into some kind of sport across the water.
    These guys can routinely get 100mpg. Penny pinching if you ask me.
    Link here

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think the point here is that road conditions can go from fine to critical in the blink of an eye.
    Of course they can, I agree. Most accidents are as a result of bad decisions made by drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

My God if anyone actually does this they should just sell up the car and buy an electric scooter or something. Ridiculous. Ruining the fun of driving to save a few euro. People that do this kind of rubbish are the kind of people that sit in a dark sitting room every night with no lights or TV to save the electricity bill. I've no problem with driving economically within reason, its smart. But some of the suggestions on the hypermiling sites are obviously made by idiots that couldn't tell a car from a donkey.

And it is obviously more dangerous coasting with the engine off! Cars were amazingly designed to be driven with the engine on. Crazy isn't it.

I'm quite looking forward to giving it a serious lash in the IMA. Want to see if I can beat my personal best of 89.9mpg on a reasonable length trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Any car nut that drives a prius for more than a few days will learn lots about how to achieve good fuel economy and what effects it drastically. Driving a prius economically is like riding a bicycle where momentum is all important and going up hills is a killer.
    Techniques learnt in a prius ,can then be applied to any car; with best results in a guzzler.
    gpf101
    Ruining the fun of driving to save a few euro. People that do this kind of rubbish are the kind of people that sit in a dark sitting room every night with no lights or TV to save the electricity bill.
    I think the point here is that even car fanatics will hypermile while commuting so they can still have fun drivng in short bursts at the week-end. Also achieving good mpg is part of the "what if we ran short oil, could i still drive" ? syndrome

I know that, if my wifes Prius was full of petrol at the start of a crisis/shortage .. we could probably make it last three months. Also the furthest I got on one gallon was 73 actual miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ya I agree everyone will at times want to get max MPG from their car, for some reason I just got a bit annoyed about people obsessing to the exent of turning on and off the car every few minutes to save a few quid on petrol. Had to get a rant in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I try and maintain momentum, plan ahead but really that's about it. It can be fun if you're not in a rush to try and get a decent l/100km figure on the computer.

I don't understand guys here who seem to have cars with decent power/acceleration and then start pussying around trying to save fuel though. Nor do I really understand those who buy a car with air-con and refuse to use it in a sweltering hot cabin.

I can get about 6.4l/100km from my Legacy if driving it reasonably easy, keeping revs down etc. - no crazy hypermiling techniques or anything. If I drive it making full use of it's mid-range poke and with air-con blowing I get 7.0l/100km which is still decent IMO. If I wanted to meander around at glacial speed and save fuel I would have bought a 407 or C5 with the 1.6HDi engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Anybody turning off the engine of the car travelling at any speed should be shot. Its pure madness and im sure the traffic cops would have something to say about it too.
    I once let my car roll forward from parked by a few metres and it was difficult to stop ( lots of force required) so I dont know about this theory of a pressure reserve in the brake system.
    Buy a f**kin moped if ya cannot afford to leave the engine running or if you can afford it and still insist on turning off, you should have your license taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

If people are that worried about getting an extra few MPG to save money why don't the just leave the car at home for a few short journeys and walk/cycle/get the bus instead.

Neil.

Very interesting article here. Part of hypermiling is inflating tyres to max pressure. The cleanmpg people quote this Police article that says as well as improving economy, increasing pressure improves wet grip and general performance.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/Editorial-and-Features/Driving-Under-Pressure/19$27281

Regardless of what vehicle you have, use the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall. Higher pressure results in better performance, decreased tire wear, and it lessens your chance of hydroplaning at a given speed.

As someone said previously, most modern cars use no fuel, absolutely none when you lift off the accelerator. The fuel supply to the engine is stopped and the momentum of the car is used to keep the engine running. I would also say that timing or whatever is controlled to keep the resistance in the engine to a minimum in these situations, so can someone explain why they turn off the car. If there was any advantage to be gained in this, wouldnt BMW efficient dynamics equiped cars have a system is shut down engine on the move and keep basics like brakes and steering live. They only allow the cars to shut down when at a standstill for one simple reason. You cannot be in full control without engine power.

jimbo78 wrote: »
    There was a big piece in USA Today a few weeks back on hypermiling.
    It's almost developed into some kind of sport across the water.
    These guys can routinely get 100mpg.
    Very good article. Well worth the read.
    jimbo78 wrote:
    Penny pinching if you ask me.
    So is buying a diesel! ;):D

mickdw wrote: »
    so can someone explain why they turn off the car.
    When decelerating and the injectors are off a huge amount of inertia is lost through keeping a dead engine turning over. It really is a bad use of energy. Most hybrids have Valve Pause Systems (mine does) to try to limit the effects of it a bit where valves stay open to avoid unnecessary compression.

When decelerating and the injectors are off a huge amount of inertia is lost through keeping a dead engine turning over. It really is a bad use of energy. Most hybrids have Valve Pause Systems (mine does) to try to limit the effects of it a bit where valves stay open to avoid unnecessary compression.

If you read my last post you will see I mentioned about altered timing to reduce resistance within engine, reducing compression is exactly what I was talking about and modern engines are intelligent enough to do that. The energy lost is not worth considering and Im sure the extra mars bar you would need to eat to stamp on the brake pedal when engine is not running would more than cancel out any gain
    So why would anybody turn off the engine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Neilw wrote: »
    If people are that worried about getting an extra few MPG to save money why don't the just leave the car at home for a few short journeys and walk/cycle/get the bus instead.

Neil.
    Yes indeed.

Hypermiling is downright dangerous, as well as being highly inconsiderate to other road users.

Not only that, but I've now found why some hybrid owners are able to achieve the type of mpg figures that hybrid fanbois say they can achieve.

But fear not we'll get told in a minute that when you drive them normally like they do in car magazine tests and where they get beaten by diesel on a regular basis that the car mags are "all wrong" or that their testing method is "flawed" or whatever excuse to avoid the fact that diesel does what hybrid does for mpg, but there are no compromises like tyres designed for economy above grip, CVT boxes, thinner glass so the car is noisier etc.

At least people who promote diesel as getting hybrid like mpg don't do all these utterly dangerous and inconsiderate techniques. Since we have a diesel at home, I can tell you that they really do deliver the goods on mpg, and you don't have to hypermile, slow down or anything; just drive it like normal and they still seem to save you money.

How come diesel does hybrid economy without all the compromises?

Imagine what mpg a non hybrid car could achieve if we decided to put our lives at risk.

But I like driving and I don't like taking forever to get wherever I want to go, so I'll stick with my not very economical method of driving thank you very much. I didn't acquire a not at all CO2 friendly petrol straight 6 with RWD so that I could save a couple of polar bears. No, because you only live once and because I enjoy driving, I acquired it so I could have something that puts a smile on my face when I go driving and loves to be revved. I did try the old techniques for saving fuel. But I gave up quickly since I was only getting around 5 mpg more but had lost all the fun of driving in the process. The bus provides fun free motoring too but with much more environmental benefits. So I'll do that instead should I build up a bit too much of a carbon footprint thank you very much.

In the meantime those who are that concerned about the planet, running costs etc, please go and use the bus, train, Luas, DART or whatever. You'll free up traffic, which means the rest of us will get there quicker, fewer cars on the roads = less CO2 and you'll save your carbon footprint, as well as your wallet a packet. Not only that but since you weren't going fast in the first place, you won't get there any slower either, and there won't be the stress of driving thrown in either.

Advertisement