Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does this happen anywhere else?

Options
  • 26-07-2008 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

well lads there was 3 houses broken into in the middle of the day and 4 shotguns taken in my locality. not the first time this has happened or the second. nothing else in the houses touched. was wondering does this happen anywhere else and how often?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Fairly common in Laois here.

After talking to the local guards about it I was told its mainly members of the traveller community involved in these thefts.

Before anybody starts, its a direct quote, not my "opinion". I don't have a problem with travellers.

TBH the guardai here blame a lot on the travellers. They are an easy target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

well lads there was 3 houses broken into in the middle of the day and 4 shotguns taken in my locality.
    Do you have any idea how many of those shotguns were in a properly located and up to specification gun safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Yeah the brother in laws shotgun was robbed in the middle of the day from the room he was sleeping in (works shifts) probably best he didn't wake up . really put the s**ts up him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Moved from Hunting to the general Shooting forum, as this is a subject that concerns everyone with a legally held firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

when are people with firarms that you MUST put your firarms in a safe
    i have TWO safe one for my rifle .22 rinfire long rifle
    safe number TWO is for ammo and rifle bolt total cost for two safes
    and bolted to walls with 16mm x 75mm toggle bolts total euros 248 steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭irish setter

i only know about 1 house. it was in a safe but not bolted to the wall. also know it was travellers and the gun has since been moved on. even know which travellers and that they are planning to come back for the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

After we were burgled last year, we were told by the Gardai that 9 times out of 10, it's opportunistic. Fit good locks to the doors and windows and use them, keep the guns in the safe, and that'll do the job. In our case, the good lock on the front door was attacked with a screwdriver and resisted, but the poor lock on the patio door didn't. Happily, the firearms were in the safe and locked away and I had the key. But other stuff (small, valuable, easy to run with) was not so lucky :(

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

Yeah this has happened to me, same situation; no gun safe, house left empty for a short period of time and a window left open a crack. Result: my little Browning .22LR gone for ever.:( Moral of the story is GET A GUN SAFE, learn from my mistake! This sort of thing happens and I would say the only weapon we have is to fit good safes, preferably two of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

what is the attitude regarding reissuing a fac after a firearm has been stolen from your home??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

newby.204 wrote: »
    what is the attitude regarding reissuing a fac after a firearm has been stolen from your home??

Travellers in my area are definately targeting houses for this reason. On two occassaions my wife and daughter went on holiday and late at night I answered a knock at the front door to find some of the local travellers, who seemed very shocked to see me. Local knowledge in a small town can be a bad thing.

They attempted to take my setter one night but he left them in no doubt he is happy where he is, from the sounds of the screams they got the idea I'd say :)

My Super has told me personally that if my firearms get robbed that my licences will be revoked !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I know of three personell friends whose gunsafes were broken into, one had his rifle with no bolt and several shotguns stolen, they were almost destroyed only for the guard's who got them out of the stolen car which was set alight,my second friend had his safe broken into but aparently they were only looking for valubles and left his gun's alone, the same thing happened to my third friend, only looking for valubles but the guard's took his gun's off him for fingerprinting and forensics, and also told him it was because he hadn't a secure place to hold them since his safe was broken into, he got them back again after about a month but he was really worried in case they wouldn't get them back at all, even though it was none of his fault.These breakins all happened in the last three years and arrests were made for the first one.

Advertisement