Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a profit from the lease?

Options
  • 26-07-2008 7:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    if I take the lease on a house and I rent out the rooms, do you think it's wrong for me to make a profit? The way I see it I'm stuck with the burden of finding tenants, and I'd be keeping the extra money in case one of them goes AWOL on me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

grasshopa wrote: »
    Hi,
    if I take the lease on a house and I rent out the rooms, do you think it's wrong for me to make a profit? The way I see it I'm stuck with the burden of finding tenants, and I'd be keeping the extra money in case one of them goes AWOL on me.

Dont see why not. You are doing more work than anyone else. You are the one negotiating with the landlord etc.

If you can get people to pay the extra over what you have to give the landlord then i say fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

this isn't uncommon at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Just make sure your lease agreement doesn't prohibit you from subletting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

If you can sublet then go ahead. If your housemates ever find out the real rent of the house don't expect the best reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If you can sublet then go ahead. If your housemates ever find out the real rent of the house don't expect the best reactions.

Why? The OP could reasonably argue that he/she has the responsibility of paying the full lease and needs to cover vacant periods between when someone moves out and somebody else moves in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Because he is ripping his housemates off.
    I've sublet before when I held a lease but I'd never try and profit out of it. Its like ticket touting, strictly for aresholes.

Because he is ripping his housemates off.
    I've sublet before when I held a lease but I'd never try and profit out of it. Its like ticket touting, strictly for aresholes.

Fair enough if everyone else in the house wants the bills in tehir names, deals with the landlord etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

Fair enough if everyone else in the house wants the bills in tehir names, deals with the landlord etc.

Its a bit sneaky in all fairness,

Plus as its not difficult to put a bill in your name and pay it,
    If your feeling ur doing all the work then just give everyone a bill to pay,
    dont rip off the people u live with.

Its a bit sneaky in all fairness,

Plus as its not difficult to put a bill in your name and pay it,
    If your feeling ur doing all the work then just give everyone a bill to pay,
    dont rip off the people u live with.

When i usd to share i had no problem whatsoever rewarding the main person in the house. eg let them have the bigger room for the same price as the others etc.

They took on the responsibility of dealing with the landlord, bills in their name etc. When i moved in they were the ones in there first so they advertised, interviewed and so on.

It was like it was their house even though they were only renting. They had much more responsibility than i had. They also had good relationships with the landlords which kept the price of rent relatively steady.

Advertisement