Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late bar/Night Club

Options
  • 26-07-2008 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

Woodlands Lodge is opening it's upstairs as a night club on Fridays and Saturdays, commencing on the Bank Holiday weekend.

I don't know what the cover charge is going to be, but it'll be free if you're in the downstairs bar before 11pm.

:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Happy dayz....
    It's what Greystones needs...
    I'll sure to be there....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

Anyone got an idea on the age limit? Is it going to be the usual policy of over 23's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭CheapStuff

Where do these rumours come from???!!!

The upstairs in Woodlands Lodge is on the market for rental as it was not profitable for the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

I was in Woodlands for lunch on Saturday and saw a card advertising the nightclub. I was wondering where it was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

CheapStuff wrote: »
    Where do these rumours come from???!!!

The upstairs in Woodlands Lodge is on the market for rental as it was not profitable for the owner.
    I was told by the manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

I was told by the manager.

Exactly........ NOT THE OWNER!!!

Too many rumour mills around here.

dubrunner wrote: »
    Exactly........ NOT THE OWNER!!!

Too many rumour mills around here.
    I guess we'll see on Friday then, won't we?

I fail to see why I'm being flamed (albeit one of the flamers is a known troll) for posting up news that is from a reliable source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Why on earth would they make up cards if there was no truth in it.... Of course maybe I just made up the fact that there were cards advertising the nightclub. You know, just for the heck of it.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I guess we'll see on Friday then, won't we?

Oh, I see a perfect excuse for Friday night:
    Astrofluff says to the missus " ...huge debate on Boards.ie in relation to whether there is a niteclub or not at Woodloands Lodge and I was nominated to do the reconnaissance mission..."

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

I'll be along, if only for vindication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Might go out and give it a shot. I'm fed up with Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Mikedragan you are Vindicated :D

Astrofluff - you'll have to come up with another excuse to get out.. :D

I just rang them and there IS a nigthclub opening this friday and saturday until 2.30pm :D The excitment of it all - dont have to go home at 12.30pm especially now that the off-licences MUST close at 10pm and pubs CANT even sell carry-outs after 10PM either :eek:

See you all there :o

LMC wrote: »
    Mikedragan you are Vindicated :D

wOOt! :)

:pac:........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 finianmurphy

Dare I suggest, without promoting it too much, that the Greystones Theatre is also open after The Smiths tribute band (10pm) with a DJ on Friday playing from midnight.

Yes, you may!

Should be along for them, they're very good. Tickets at the door?

Tickets are available at the door or from the ticket box office. More info on greystonestheatre.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

will the new licensing laws affect the theatre? - I've been told they've been serving up to 3am or so some nights, but I think the new law ends the theatre loophole...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

A nightclub (I heard it will be called Sky Bar) and a theatre?! After so long, we're spoilt for choice!

The new licensing laws have effected the theatre, however unlike pubs we will not be closing our doors at 12.30, but the bar will end then. As we offer live entertainment, most events will be on before this time and when events will be running after this time, we will look at the possibility of extensions. Drop down to see what you think or see greystonestheatre.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 and76

Yeh is the theatre spot usually open late, what type of place is it, I hadnt even known of its existence before hearing about the grey fest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Going home to dig out my paisly shirt and daffodils right away!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Dare I suggest, without promoting it too much, that the Greystones Theatre is also open after The Smiths tribute band (10pm) with a DJ on Friday playing from midnight.

What kind of DJ would be playing after the band. When I was there last Saturday there was nothing more that random tracks (not even mixed) being played from a laptop of the sound desk after the band finished. I had not heard anything about a DJ before the gig but there were people arriving during the last song or two who paid full price in because they heard there was a DJ until 2.30. That seemed like a bit of a sham

luapenak wrote: »
    What kind of DJ would be playing after the band. When I was there last Saturday there was nothing more that random tracks (not even mixed) being played from a laptop of the sound desk after the band finished. I had not heard anything about a DJ before the gig but there were people arriving during the last song or two who paid full price in because they heard there was a DJ until 2.30. That seemed like a bit of a sham
    Sorry to hear your friends were disappointed last weekend however Greystones Theatre did not advertise a DJ set after Ham Sandwich. After most events there is music played to allow people to finish their night.
    On nights where there is a cover charge for DJs it will be a themed night and the cost advertised before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Anybody go to the late bar last night in the woodlands...??
    Any use..? Busy..??
    Music...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

Any use..? Busy..??
    Music...??

Planning on going there tonight at around 11 or 12 for a couple,
    Will let you know how I get on in the morning

or afternoon I should say !!!

Any use..? Busy..??
    Music...??
    I went. I have to say it was an evening of amusement and bemusement.

The bar downstairs was jammed from about 10:30 and the crowd was mostly young and not the crowd I had expected. I had thought it was going to be aimed at an older crowd. It's the first time I'd ever been there when it's busy and it really showcased just how bad a design that bar really is.

Anyway, upstairs (The Sky Bar, as it's known now) opened at 11pm and we popped up at about 11:30. Got a stamp on the back of our hands on our way up the stairs.

I had wondered how they'd make the upstairs big enough for a viable nightclub, and it seems that all they did was take out the tables from the restaurant and put down a bit of a dancefloor and some lights in the ceiling. It's tiny, and at about 12:30 was uncomfortably crammed. There's a bit of a room towards the back, but it's like sitting in someone's living room with the lights off. You can't really hear the music there and there is zero atmosphere.

Back in the club itself, the bar has a smaller counter space than our kitchen and they don't have any beer on tap. In order to get pints, we had to go downstairs and battle with the crowds as one barman did his best to serve everyone. The other barman (who I believe is the manager) seemed to do anything but serve, clearing glasses from the bar, fetching ice and issuing orders to floorstaff. Having waited 15 minutes to try get the barman's attention, I went back upstairs and got a couple of bottles instead, which, to be fair were cold.

A few of our friends arrived around 12:30 and made it in with minimal fuss. At 1am one of the guys went downstairs to try again for pints and came back up at 1:15 empty handed. The bar downstairs had closed. At this point the crowds upstairs at the bar (which was staffed by two girls who were in a serious panic) was totally mobbed. At this point we gave up and came home.

The music was quite good, the dj opened with some up to the minute tunes and followed with a very long 80's set. After a few more contemporary dance tunes, there was some "rock". I think "Galway Girl" was playing when we left.

I'd hope the issues with the bars will be ironed out, but it's fair to say they hadn't really prepared for it. I've worked in the bar and club business for quite a while before changing career and had been involved in the opening of a few venues and the rule of thumb for the opening weeks is to overstaff so you can deal with any eventuality.

When we left, there was some trouble just inside the door too. Looked like a bit of handbags between two mates after too much sauce, but the bouncer appeared to be just standing nearby monitoring it rather than actually dealing with it. Not a good first impression to give punters waiting to pay in.

Final niggle, toilets are all the way down in the basement, not a major concern really, however the stairs were also crowded with people sitting or standing and littered with handbags. Not ideal. Stairs should always be kept clear. Even a rookie bouncer should know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

I say I won't be going back there again, but that's a lie, only cause it's handy and close.
    I have to say though, it was awful.
    Tiny bar, so cramped, music was BLARING last night to the point that trying to have a conversation was near impossible.
    I too, thought that the crowd would have been older, but not to be.

There was one stunning blonde there though, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

p.s I've got a fookin hangover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

Really isnt made it be any sort of nightclub, poor design and poorly trained staff. Gave the impression that no one really knew what they we're doing. Even the bouncers didnt really have a clue. Wouldnt be in a rush to go back anytime soon. The theater would be the place to go.

There was in fact one stunning blonde wearing a red dress in there last night.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Negative

A few of our friends arrived around 12:30 and made it in with minimal fuss. At 1am one of the guys went downstairs to try again for pints and came back up at 1:15 empty handed. The bar downstairs had closed. At this point the crowds upstairs at the bar (which was staffed by two girls who were in a serious panic) was totally mobbed. At this point we gave up and came home.

Sorry, but in firstday bar was closed only 2:00.. because was so many people and manager don't work at bar :D Manager stay outside all night..

I know, my english sucks, but I'm not Irish :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Right, so everyone was crowding the upstairs bar because the downstairs bar was still open?

Given that one of my crowd would rather wait than drink bottles, I find it highly unlikely that he'd hang around downstairs trying to get served, then come back up empty handed.

Perhaps it was the club manager who was at the door. I've managed bars and clubs. The manager's place is INSIDE.

I can appreciate why you're defending the place, but so far between neighbours and here, nothing positive.

A lot to be done no matter how you spin it.

Advertisement