Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upc down?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

How do you get modem logs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fowley

rang them yesterday, they said it was noise in the area. which i thought was crap since i didnt them where i was. but he said christchurch was noisy. bizzarre, i guess they got my info from the caller id cause i said my name quickly and he didnt ask twice. anyway broadband still down.

192.168.100.1 is the router ip, you can find logs in there. mine says DHCP failed aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

says

"This feature is not enabled.
    This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.

Please contact your data services provider for more information about this feature and its availability on the network."

for logs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Mine has been sh!te for the past few days. It's still up and down and crazy loading time for pages. I'm getting fed up of it. This is exactly what happened last year when NTL upgraded 6mb to 10mb for a few months - connections were terribly unstable. I hope this isn't the start of it all again now that i'm on 20MB because its brutal.

Poor page loading times
    Dropping packets
    No connection for hours at a time
    It went down for 2 days straight last week.

It's all gone crap since the speeds went up. When I was at 6mb I didn't ever have to touch the modem for 1 whole year!

Not a happy customer :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

There's an area problem at Christchurch. I thought this has been fixed a month ago, but the service engineer who was due to visit today to replace my modem says there's quite a few people in the area with the same problem (dropping connections, mainly upstream so connectivity is limited and browsing is impossible). Says it's going to take a day or two to see where the problem is.

Have now had poor broadband for a month, so not happy.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 coopzero

NTL/UPC is completely useless - the problem at Christchurch has been ongoing for weeks now. Their customer service and tech people are just so incompetent, I can't see how the service ever works.
    I'm seriously considering cancelling my account today. My main concern is that I don't think any of the alternatives are much better (I wouldn't want to end up with Eircom).
    Does anyone know if the Digiweb Metro (wireless) service is any good?

My main concern is that I don't think any of the alternatives are much better (I wouldn't want to end up with Eircom).

Yeah, to be honest, it would be a case of cutting off my nose to spite my face; I have no faith in Eircom's service. And after being an NTL/UPC customer for years, I do know they are capable of good service. I think it's just a case of complaining again and again until they fix it (it seems that lots of people _don't_ complain, and just muddle along with a poor connection).

P.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

oceanclub wrote: »
    Yeah, to be honest, it would be a case of cutting off my nose to spite my face; I have no faith in Eircom's service. And after being an NTL/UPC customer for years, I do know they are capable of good service. I think it's just a case of complaining again and again until they fix it (it seems that lots of people _don't_ complain, and just muddle along with a poor connection).

P.

Why have you no faith in Eircom's Service - given the number of subscribers they have the no of complaints on here about their actual service as opposed to irrational hatred outbursts is quite minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

contention contention contention

imo when they wer rolling out the 6mb upgrades they shuda left it at that, but they got too greedy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

nuxxx wrote: »
    contention contention contention

imo when they wer rolling out the 6mb upgrades they shuda left it at that, but they got too greedy:)

S'bollox to put it bluntly. It sounds almost certainly like a hardware fault in the area, especially if UPC themselves are saying that there's noise issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

boll0x? How come iv heard from numerous upc customers all over the country of having massive problems? And i SERIOUSLY doubt everyone in this thread is from the same area

Of course theres gona be massive problems on cable especially in areas of numerous people on the same connection.. You are never guarenteed a contention ratio on cable as there isnt one..

If people all of a sudden stop having problems and getting there full speeds fair enuff.. just jumping out at me for something _I_ believe is correct is hardly a nice way for a long time moderator to act is it?

I have my opinion of cable and you have yours, but i dont call yours boll0x now do i, you have given me a infraction before for even less than calling a posters opinion of a product bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

well it's down here in D15 , broadband , analogue tv and digital tv... all down :( . rang them about it and there is a fault in the area and it should be back up this evening .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I'm D15 ( as posted above ) and I am seriously pissed at this stage. Its nearly been 2 weeks with almost no connection!! It went off again just after I posted yesterday and its been off since pretty much. It was back this morning but went off again today. I called them up but got the usual crap excuse " We are currently upgrading a Fibre Node between 4-6PM today, all services will be unavailible ". Anyway, its back up and running now nice and fast but this is how its been the last few weeks On & Off. I've had enough now.. if It continues - BYE BYE UPC. 20MB? Who cares if it doesn't work.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: UPC :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The problem with NTL/UPC isn't that the service itself is bad. In fact, I'd say it's pretty good when it does work (and I've been with them for six years).

I understand they can have outages or technical issues every once in a while but their "customer care" people are absolutely clueless. I know call centres are supposed to be bad, but this is ridiculous.

It's as if they had a team of blind monkeys looking after their technical side, trying random stuff till they get it right.
    There's absolutely no excuse for any network being down for weeks.

Unfortunately, I'm still not completely sold on finding a new provider.
    Maybe I'd be ignored anyway, but do you think it'd be worth a try complaining to the comreg: http://www.askcomreg.ie/about_us/form.asp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Mines been up/down for over a month, to be fair the cus support are sound but there's only so much they can do. Seem the problem is with the network itself (at least in my case, Christchurch D8)

If u contact comreg and get ref no I'd happily join the line as I think its about time I got out of this contract!

@GerryR:

I have filled in the form at comreg and they said they "escalated a formal complaint to UPC on your behalf". Not sure how you can "join" my complaint.

I'd say the best way is to keep opening more complaints till they realize something's going on. I don't really know how effective this will be, but I want to try all possibilities before considering moving to eircom.

I've talked to DigiWeb, and I have to confirm if I want to do a test next week, but I'm not too optimistic - you probably live in the same building, so you should be aware it's very unlikely we have line of sight to their masts. Plus, it's slower, has a much lower cap, and it's 50% more expensive than UPC (if it ever works again).

coopzero wrote: »
    @GerryR:

I have filled in the form at comreg and they said they "escalated a formal complaint to UPC on your behalf". Not sure how you can "join" my complaint.

If you find out, let me know also as I'd like to join.

P.

Now, about an hour after hearing from comreg I got a call back from UPC - actually someone who seemed to be reasonable, and explained the problem a bit better. The exact opposite to the rude, incompetent people in the UPC helpdesk (and yes, I hope they get to read this).

I wouldn't say I'm happy till the problem's actually fixed, but I can definitely say that contacting comreg makes a difference.

Im in Christchurch P

Had a technician due out to me this morning (2nd time in the last month or so), got a call from him this morning saying that "They" were coming to the building to work on the problem all day if they had to, that the problem was on and off for over a month and that it was affecting around 15 people. He said not to bother staying at home as the prob wasn't with my modem (Tell me something I don't know, someone needs to tell the phone support guys!)

Anyway, I'll give them a few days I think, if it's not sorted I'll be cancelling my broadband and looking for a few months cable tv as compensation. If they dont give it I'll go the comm reg route too.

• Advertisement

gerryR wrote: »
    Im in Christchurch P

Had a technician due out to me this morning (2nd time in the last month or so), got a call from him this morning saying that "They" were coming to the building to work on the problem all day if they had to, that the problem was on and off for over a month and that it was affecting around 15 people. He said not to bother staying at home as the prob wasn't with my modem (Tell me something I don't know, someone needs to tell the phone support guys!)

Anyway, I'll give them a few days I think, if it's not sorted I'll be cancelling my broadband and looking for a few months cable tv as compensation. If they dont give it I'll go the comm reg route too.

Gerry, I would go the Comreg route straight away - just did it myself. Also on the phone trying to get some explanation from NTL, but no use. Strange how if it's only 15 people that many of us seem to be on boards!

EDIT: I rang NTL to make a formal complaint as Comreg advised, but they say they can't deal with formal complaint on the phone. So I have to mail a letter to their Complaints Manager, Marie Barker in Limerick. So I guess that will add another little delay to the process....

P.

Just got another call from the UPC lady and she said they've "replaced the node" and everything should be fine now.
    I got home to try it and it seems to be true (!!!).

The speed's not quite what it should (18451kb/1368kb according to speedtest), but it's close enough I guess...

If the comreg complaint had anything to do with this (and all signs point to yes), there's something really wrong with UPC's support structure.
    It took a month for them to do a job than in practice took no longer than six hours.

Anyway, I hope everyone follows up on this issue and insist on getting credit for the loss of service. It's the only way they may understand.

Just got back myself, so far so good!

I'll be ringing on Tue to get confirmation its fixed for good this time. I will also be looking for at least 1months bband free, I doubt there'll be a problem getting it as they cant deny there was a problem.

gr

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

Is anyone still having this problem? Mine has been down for the last week... D5 area. Its not the first time either as others have mentioned

Advertisement