Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Winter Surf Destination

Options
  • 26-07-2008 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

We are looking to go on a winter surf trip (4 girls). We are relative beginners in our mid 20s. We prefer Self-catering apartments and dont want a hostel.

What we are looking for is:
    Reliabel surf for beginners,
    Progressive beginners ie can stand no problem and turn (but two have never surfed before!)
    Plus nice weather so we can sit on the beach and chill out after our surf,
    a few nice restaurants, bars, cafes, nightlife and a nice village (sorry we're not that hardcore!!!! icon_redface.gif )

Have been told Taghazoute, Algarve, Lanzarote or Fuertaventura are the best for winter.

Thinking of a week in either Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb.

Below are some negatives I have heard - if anyone can tell me any positives that would be great icon_lol.gif
    Taghazoute - too deserted? No bars - not that social?
    Algarve - Not that hot? Not that many waves?
    Lanza - Aggressive locals? petty crime? ugly concrete blocks?
    Fuertaventura - Too windy, no nice towns? no nice apartments to stay in?

If anyone has any advice or has been anywhere pls let me know???

Tks!!!!

Rach

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Fuertoventura can get windy but so can anywhere. Plenty of breaks to choose from. Try the hotels. Friends of mine didn't like the hostel they were staying in and changed to a local hotel in Corralejo which was excellent (and same price as hostel!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RachMurph

Thanks Cue,

Do you know if Corralejo is a nice town or is it just conceret block apartments? and is there decent nitelife/restaurants etc.?

Tks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 gavDUB

hey

my GF wanted a sun holiday for a week or so in August so I convienced her to go to Corralejo .This is going to be my first time there and i know its the wrong time of yeah but i figured its the best chance i have of getting some kind of surf in. Were headin over the last week in August I can give you an update then if that any help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

I was in Corralejo around last April, was grand for what it is, a spanish tourist town. It's not too big + concrete though.

Some good pubs and some nice restaurants etc. Didn't get any surfing in, did some windsurfing though, which was good. It does get windy there, usually in the afternoon til the early evening, very consistent.

On that side of the island (north-east) there are mainly windsurfing + kitesurfing spots. West coast is where the swell hits most I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RachMurph

Thanks Gavdub please let me know!

Hey Will3k - why didnt you surf, was it too windy? Is it too windy to chill out on the beach? Was April busy with itehr people on the beach etc. or deserted?

Tks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Stayed in Corallejo twice. It's pretty chilled and has a good crowd compared to the likes of Gran Canaria. Surfed off the Dunas beach which is on the NE of the island near Corallejo and Il Cotillo Which is on the NW side of the island - again close to Corallejo as the crow flies (or in a jeep) but a bit longer by road.

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Europe/Canary/Fuerte_Ventura/cotillo_beach/

Il Cotillio is a great beach to hang out on cos it's nice and quiet - and there are cliffs down to the beach so depending on the wind it can be sheletered. The Dunas beach is huge, bring a wind breaker - watch out for the naked octogenarian section (unless you like that kinda stuff). Don't stay (accomodation wise) in Il Cotillio though - it's like a friggign ghost town.

Did lessons in Fuerte with a crew there called Home Grown. Instructor knew his spots and wasn't afraid of chucking us in at the deep end ;)

Puerto Del Carmen in Lanza is decent enough nightlife and restaurants - but that southerly stretch of Lanza isn't that surfy. That said the island is easy to drive around and the locals don't drive like maniacs. Unfortunately I never surfed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

RachMurph wrote: »
    Thanks Gavdub please let me know!

Hey Will3k - why didnt you surf, was it too windy? Is it too windy to chill out on the beach? Was April busy with itehr people on the beach etc. or deserted?

Tks :)

Did'nt surf purly because I was enjoying the windsurfing so much, very consistent conditions.

The dunes beach is a bit annoying alright with the wind, the sand just whips over you, find/make a sheltered spot and your grand.

It was busy enough in April, loads of surfers, and there was live music in the square at the weekends which was good craic, and nice bit of weed if you like that sort of thing :D

I didn't really move around the island, and sorry I didn't go surfing. We were just taking it very easy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Corallejo was very nice. Some very nice resturants with local seafood. Yummy. Nitelife is basically a strip with everything from Irish bars to clubs to chill out joints and the usual tourist hawkers. It seemed to cater for all needs.
    We went with Homegrown also.

Advertisement