Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pc Spec Opinions please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

double post =/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

ok dont know were I got the price but its working out at €611 +€39 delivery today

Still worth this

will check re the windows English XP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

ok dont know were I got the price but its working out at €611 +€39 delivery today

Still worth this

I dont think it is, if it was a performance pc you couldnt get off the like's of Dell without breaking the bank, then the potential hassle involved would be worth it.

But you can get the pc your getting off Dell with much less potential hassle ( pc goes wrong have to send into germany ) for the same price.

€561 Delivered.
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 Processor (2.4GHz, 8MB cache, 1066MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 32-bit - English
    1 Year Base Warranty
    Display Not Included
    3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024 + 2x512]
    500GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator 3100
    DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)
    Dell™ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=ieepp1&kc=DRS53001&l=en&oc=D085011&rbc=D085011&s=dhs

Add in a decent video card like Ati HD3870 or 8800gs and you can play any game you want.

Sapphire Technology Radeon HD 3870 €92

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4SRZ&CategorySelectedId=11137&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11137,12

I don’t want Vista as don’t have the firewalls anti virus programs for this also want built in Wireless card

Also I want a 750 Hard Drive and when I went to do another spec it came up more expensive than Ankermann. May ring them again and see what they can do

Yes I know about returning it to Germany and that’s my only concern

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I don’t want Vista as don’t have the firewalls anti virus programs for this also want built in Wireless card

Also I want a 750 Hard Drive and when I went to do another spec it came up more expensive than Ankermann. May ring them again and see what they can do

Yes I know about returning it to Germany and that’s my only concern

If you have an XP disc you can install that, Dell pc's come with drivers and can be downloaded at there site if they dont.

Security wise Vista is more secure than Xp imo and when you have the hardware its a much better experience.You can get plenty of decent anti virus programs/firewalls etc for free that work great on Vista.I am using Comodo firewall paired with Avast antivirus and Spybot.

You can get a 750gb hard drive off dabs for €77.

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4XK5&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=750gb&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

With wireless card and smaller hard drive

€552.82

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 Processor (2.4GHz, 8MB cache, 1066MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 32-bit - English
    1 Year Base Warranty
    Display Not Included
    3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024 + 2x512]
    250GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator 3100
    DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)
    Dell™ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black
    Internal PCI 802.11b/g Wireless Network Card

• Advertisement

Dont want to assemble this myself would rather have it assembled first

Rang Dell and with wireless card and 640gb hard drive it was coming in at over €800

Dont want Vista as read to many bad things about it and want to hold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

AS I have said before, Vista is not bad. Those bad things that were going around were mainly lat year when Vista was launched with people not been able to install drivers for the peripherals. Now with Vista SP1, and most manufacfures have device drivers for Vista, I think not going with Vista is a step backwards.

You also seem to be installing a number of similar AV/Firewall's. Don't forget the Vista firewall is actually good. The XP is also grand. Your router will also probably have a NAT firewall too.

I have been humming and hawing over Vista and will I will I not get it :confused:

Thinking I am getting swayed the way to get it I have XP on laptop so if worse came to worse can work other applications on this

Still swaying to the Ankermann pc but they are not the quickest in coming back which has bothered me a bit

Ok going for Vista but whats the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit version?

From googling it seems 32 bit is the standard as some software not compatible with the 64 bit?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

32bit can only use around 3.25GBs ram total. 64bit can use a lot more.

• Advertisement

32bit can only use around 3.25GBs ram total. 64bit can use a lot more.

Thanks for that but is most software compatible to the 64bit and would it be worth it taking in spec from Ankermann to get the 64bit ?

Re the below

NVidia GeForce 8600GT 1024MB

As per the below there has been issue with this

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/12/nvidia-g92s-g94-reportedly

So bit cautious ordering now from them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you plan on gaming don't bother with that card it's pretty crap (ignore the 1GB it's a marketing gimmick). Most software would work fine on vista 64bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

OP, I bought a slightly better spec from hardwareversand.de for about €300 less!

OP, I bought a slightly better spec from hardwareversand.de for about €300 less!

Do this crowd assemble them or is it order and its a DIY job ?

If you did buy a similar spec what are the details?

Do this crowd assemble them or is it order and its a DIY job ?

If you did buy a similar spec what are the details?

Yeah if you throw them an extra 20 sheets they'll assemble it.

The spec I got was:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz
    4gb Corsair PC6400 RAM
    XFX nVidia 8800GT 512mb video card
    XFX nVidia 680i SLI LT motherboard
    Onboard 7.1 channel RealTek audio
    Onboard LAN (good, but can't remember details)
    320GB HDD - can't remember brand offhand
    DVD Burner - entry level...not much choice there anyway
    Antec Nine Hundred Case with 5 fans including a 200mm top fan
    650w Super Flower PSU
    Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium (big mistake!)

Came to around €900 I think, so around 200 cheaper. Just noticed you got a second HDD drive at 93 quid, so I suppose that accounts for a bit.

Yeah if you throw them an extra 20 sheets they'll assemble it.

The spec I got was:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz
    4gb Corsair PC6400 RAM
    XFX nVidia 8800GT 512mb video card
    XFX nVidia 680i SLI LT motherboard
    Onboard 7.1 channel RealTek audio
    Onboard LAN (good, but can't remember details)
    320GB HDD - can't remember brand offhand
    DVD Burner - entry level...not much choice there anyway
    Antec Nine Hundred Case with 5 fans including a 200mm top fan
    650w Super Flower PSU
    Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium (big mistake!)

Came to around €900 I think, so around 200 cheaper. Just noticed you got a second HDD drive at 93 quid, so I suppose that accounts for a bit.

€900 mine is only costing €600 odd?

€900 mine is only costing €600 odd?

Ahhh, it seems that in my haste to reply I overlooked most of the posts! I just took a look at the spec in the OP, and the price, and went looking for the reply button as quickly as I could, thinking, "I gotta tell this man about hardwareversand!" :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=150273729795&Category=3736&_trksid=p3907.m29

That pc is insane for the price, the gfx card alone will set u back about 250quid online, Im actually probs going to pick one of these up myself.

Can anyone tell me whats the C.O.D policy on anker and how long do they normally take to deliver...also do all the drivers for the hardware come when you order the computer, or do you have to source them out on the net yourself.
    Not that it would be a problem as most of them are new pieces of hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Actually think im going to go with the http://www.ankermann-pc.com/en/
    Feel the 9800gtx is more than enough to run source/wow/1.6 at a constant 100fps in 1024 actually probs get over 200 :D

And i'd rather have a nice case to go with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement