Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wax

Options
  • 26-07-2008 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

was just reading another thread where wax was mentioned, and wondered, should it be stripped at some point? was out for 2.5 hrs today, only came in initially (though i'd contemplated it a few times) to re-wax/comb the board, cos i was starting to slip off the back (hilarious im sure for a casual observer, but every time my head went under, was instant brainfreeze), but i got my board second hand, with probably a zillion layers of wax on him (Eddy) already, but wondered if the wax is supposed to be stripped off at some point? think i've heard vague mention of it before, but not sure. if so, what would i use and how expensive would it be to get? am i doing actual damage to my board in not doing it, or am i just limiting my own grip/whatever? is there any sort of ratio i should have for every time i wax to every time i comb the wax? i usually get out (now, during the winter), once a week, so go every second week.

comments? pointers? advice? anything???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Okay, here goes -

Personally if it was a second hand board I would have stripped and waxed before taking it out myself, but i'm anal like that :o

Generally when the wax starts turning kind of black-ish I generally strip and re-wax. Thats usually about once a year or so, depending on use

Theres no issues caused by not waxing except lack of grip (which you mentioned) and aesthetics.

Now the fun part - The stripping the wax itself

I've heard a million and one ways to do this and everyone seems to have their own techniques for it. Everything from stripping from standard using an old credit card to pouring a kettle of boiling water over it (please, please don't use this method).

Personally I leave the board somewhere warm in a room with the heating on, then take it out and strip off the wax using the back of a wax comb while its still warm. For the residue left a friend of mine taught me to use WD-40, strange I know, but it seems to work.

Theres a load of specific cleaners out there that seem to work but I don't feel them neseccary. Some people use turps and white spirits for this too.

Another method to remove the residue is to use a pickle, haven't tried it myself but have heard some people swear by them.

Anyway most of it is trial and error to find what works for you, but as a general rule don't expose the board to high temperatures to try melt the wax, it can do more damage than good, such as lifting the laminate off your board or cause surface "bubbling".

Also Quick tip of the day. If you dont want to have to come back in to wax your board stick a nodge of wax or a small wax comb up the sleeve/leg of your wetsuit and do it without leaving the water if required. Particularly good idea when its cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

good post, thanks man. often wondered about it... ol' eddy's looked quite the mess as long as i've owned him... i might demand a lift home next weekend and tend to him a bit... had an offer to keep him at a closer place, closer to home too, so might be able to get him out there too...

i think the wax has always been black for me... here's a pic of eddy when i first got him... this was about april-ish.
    Snap164.jpg

warm room could be interesting... we only really have one heater in the house (remember, nz, dont believe in central heating or insulation :rolleyes:), so there's teh space between teh couch and the TV to put him, i guess, admittedly, that's where i usually sit on me bean bag, but i can make an exception. will definitely try the back of the comb technique, the cheaper the better, im still getting round to affording a replacement middle fin for my board >_< (the last one disappeared after a particularly impressive somersault wipeout on my part...)..

pickle looks good, but would definitely try the cheaper alternatives first...

WD-40 definitely looks do-able.. and as for tucking a comb in my wetsuit...

GENIUS!

god, i duno hwo i neve rthought of that before...

my wetsuit does have a pocket, but it's in the inside of the back of it or something ridiculous like that, and i usually go out by myself, so that's generally absolutely no good.

also, instead of starting new thread... i've got... i *think* an o'neill's epic wetsuit, 4:3... , and i've found recently that, on leaving the water, i experience this horrible, genuinely painful itching sensation in my ankles. anyone found that one before? i can't figure out if it's that the wetsuit is too small on me... though it seems to fit everywhere else... or it's the sand getting into the ankle area and itching on me... or if it's the cold combined with the tightness of the ankle, obviously designed to keep the water out... but it's the most horrible, horrible sensation... about a 5min walk from the beach to my mate's garage where i get changed, and by the time i get there, i have to just take the entire suit off so as to free/scratch the ankles, and well... that is a ****ing cold thing to do... not to mention all the passersby who have a free gawping opportunity.

Advertisement