Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the state of our health care system

Options
  • 26-07-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

is it just me, or is everyone else angry, heres a sample of stories that have happened in the region in relation to our health care services in the last couple of months

the cutting of 11 jobs in letterkenny hospital (LGH), the closeure of a 20 bed short stay ward, closure of day services for a month, and the possibility that newly qualified nurses, will have no jobs, all discussed in this weeks donegal news

also the well publisied, and discussed cancer services on the sligo forum, that effects both sligo, and the whole NW region

now some of this results from a local level, seemingly in the case of letterkenny, which is running at 2 million over buget, and at a national level, in the decision of centres of excelence,

the nw of ireland has seemingly always been the last to benift from things, we are a remote part of the country, road infracture is not the greatest, just to get to LGH or to sligo hospital (SGH), can be a trek, and that is just for a check up, imagine you are ill, or diagnosed with a life threatning condition, and then make the same journey

and when you get there, they dont have the staff or resourses to treat you, or your faced with over crowding, now i know that this could happen in any of our countries hospitals, but surly the cutting back of beds and staff, will do this no favours

now with the proposed centres of excelence, you now have to travel futher, north donegal to galway is not an easy journey for a heathly person, the roads, the traffic, the delays, thats stressfull enough, now add an illness to it, rest and comfort is a factor in the recovery and treetment of any illness/condition, a five hour journey is defintly not going to be of any ones benifit

now again, i know this has all been discused, but i thought with all the events that have happened in the region on a whole, it deseved its own thread here, and with the recent anouncements of cutbacks to all goverment deptpartments, i cant see it gtting any better, or the HSE or the region getting any huge finicial injections (no pun intended) to sort it out

hopefully, have a tanistre from the region, she can have an influence to resloving, or helping the dire strait the health service is in, for both the region, and for the good of the most vunerable in it

irish stew

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

irish-stew wrote: »
    is it just me, or is everyone else angry, heres a sample of stories that have happened in the region in relation to our health care services in the last couple of months

the cutting of 11 jobs in letterkenny hospital (LGH), the closeure of a 20 bed short stay ward, closure of day services for a month, and the possibility that newly qualified nurses, will have now jobs, all discussed in this weeks donegal news

also the well publisied, and discussed cancer services on the sligo forum, that effects both sligo, and the whole NW region

now some of this results from a local level, seemingly in the case of letterkenny, which is running at 2 million over buget, and at a national level, in the decision of centres of excelence,

the nw of ireland has seemingly always been the last to benift from things, we are a remote part of the country, road infracture is not the greatest, just to get to LGH or to sligo hospital (SGH), can be a trek, and that is just for a check up, imagine you are ill, or diagnosed with a life threatning condition, and then make the same journey

and when you get there, they dont have the staff or resourses to treat you, or your faced with over crowding, now i know that this could happen in any of our countries hospitals, but surly the cutting back of beds and staff, will do this no favours

now with the proposed centres of excelence, you now have to travel futher, north donegal to galway is not an easy journey for a heathly person, the roads, the traffic, the delays, thats stressfull enough, now add an illness to it, rest and comfort is a factor in the recovery and treetment of any illness/condition, a five hour journey is defintly not going to be of any ones benifit

now again, i know this has all been discused, but i thought with all the events that have happened in the region on a whole, it deseved its own thread here, and with the recent anouncements of cutbacks to all goverment deptpartments, i cant see it gtting any better, or the HSE or the region getting any huge finicial injections (no pun intended) to sort it out

hopefully, have a tanistre from the region, she can have an influence to resloving, or helping the dire strait the health service is in, for both the region, and for the good of the most vunerable in it

irish stew

Sounds like a vote of support for the angry bastard forum to me...

I agree though, I mean, we are only in the north west of Ireland over here. Like the government really gives a monkeys about us. Now if the minions of this country got it right at election time and voted for FG, then maybe there would be a different story to this if Enda Kenny was Taoiseach......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 John Doherty

hmm, theres no doubt the health service is poorly managed, but thats because the management are poorly educated.

they don't have qualifications or experience in managing a grocery store or chip van, nevermind a hospital caring for sick people.

you give these type of people millions of euro to spend, and you're asking for trouble.

from what i understand, alot of the management are not even available, either "sick" or on holiday leave - contractors who worked in the HSE swear by this.

nurses and doctors wouldn't be the problem, and theres definitely no shortage of funding from the government.

how the money is spent, and those in charge of spending is another issue.

i firmly believe that in order to sort out the difficulties it faces would require simply dismissing most of the management and replacing them with people who will actually work for a days pay.

the government are poor at their jobs too though .."a fish rots from the head down" - old chinese proverb that springs to mind when i see Bertie Ahern on the tv or hear him on the radio lying through his teeth about what dodgy financial dealings he is alleged to have had in the past.

No, he is not "leader" anymore, but he was for over 10 years, certainly enough time to turn the health service into one of the best in the world instead of the opposite it is.

Without going off topic, you'll notice that alot of uneducated people run the public services and have been employed through association rather than for educational achievements or experience.

You know..usually you give a management role to someone with management background, and a good track record obviously, not to your uncle or niece just because they don't want to work a menial job.

FAS spent €1.7 million on a website which was actually just duplicated from an existing service.
    And its a rubbish system as it is..*shakes head*

The county councils are no better, they're clean useless too, everytime i see them "working" on the street, i just smile. :)

Half the time they're sitting in the porta-cabin drinkin tea or lying against a spade..it takes them forever to finish jobs, and they usually start 10-15 different ones at the same time.

You look at them "working" and you know rightly, they haven't a bloody clue what they're doing.

They never plan anything properly, which results in poor infrastructure, where the drinking water is polluted, sewage treatment facilities are non-existent, roads are choaking with traffic, rivers are destroyed, wildlife disappears..and nobody pays attention to it.

unfortunately it would appear that the whole island of ireland is run by crooks.. but what can you do, eh? join them? (only if you're family or friend) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

John Doherty can we just stick to the health services issue please.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

hmm, theres no doubt the health service is poorly managed, but thats because the management are poorly educated.

they don't have qualifications or experience in managing a grocery store or chip van, nevermind a hospital caring for sick people.

you give these type of people millions of euro to spend, and you're asking for trouble.

from what i understand, alot of the management are not even available, either "sick" or on holiday leave - contractors who worked in the HSE swear by this.

nurses and doctors wouldn't be the problem, and theres definitely no shortage of funding from the government.

how the money is spent, and those in charge of spending is another issue.

i know i mentioned the cutting of admin jobs in my original post, and i know to run a system, admin is required, but prehaps as well, if more of the money was spent on front line care and services, rather than management and admin, would patients be better off for it

on one hand, you could say, absolutly, on the other hand, from the management point of view, they could say, we here to ensure its run and spent properly, its seems a whole reveiw on how the system is run and managed, may be needed

Advertisement