Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading??? Has this issue just slipped off the agenda?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Thats right sparks, how could i be so stupid to think that target shooting could really benefit from reloading, never mind all the other shooters who are in it for the fun. Once again sparks you are oh so right,

How'd i do there Chem:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

IRLConor wrote: »
    Personally, if I were you I would hold off on any extra pushing for reloading (outside of the FCP) until we see the publication of the bill for the new Explosives Act. It's due later this year and will probably set the basis for any possible future reloading. I doubt there'll be any movement on reloading before that gets enacted. When the initial bill comes out, then that'll be the time to go campaigning to your NGB and local TDs to press for amendments to it to be more reloading friendly. Keep an eye out here for that and other upcoming legislation.

I wouldn't bother going to the media about it, it's not a topic that would be likely to sell newspapers. It's a minority issue of a minority sport as far as they're concerned. Ultimately the media doesn't get laws made unless it's a "public outrage" kind of situation and if there was one of those involving reloading I doubt it would be likely to turn out well.

So, in summary, if I were you I'd do the following:
    • Contact your NGB and ask them what they're doing about reloading on the FCP and if there's anything you can do to help move it on. Even if they don't need your help for the FCP, knowing that you're out there and you care about the issue is helpful and they can always come back to you later for help. Get your money's worth from your NGB!
    • Keep an eye out for the Explosives Bill and lobby your local TDs for amendments to get what you want. If you're looking for something to do in advance of this, make up a short document on reloading. Keep it very short and very simple. That way when the TD says "what the hell is reloading" you'll have a canned answer for them. Include answers for common concerns like the safety and security issues so that they don't get caught out in the Dáil. Practice an "elevator pitch" if you're going to meet them in person.
    • When the bill hits the committee stage, make sure you've contacted the TDs and Senators on that committee beforehand to explain your position. I suspect it'll be the Joint Committee on Justice, Equality, Defence and Women's Rights. Keep an eye on what they all say on the matter in the committee debates and be sure to praise the ones that raise your issues.
    • Make sure you cooperate with your NGB through this process, they may have extra material for you that they've used before and they may be able to offer advice on dealing with particular politicians if they've dealt with them before. Advice like "don't go to Tony Gregory on hunting issues" could turn out to be very valuable. It also prevents duplication of effort.
    Thanks for the positive advice i'll try and take it on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

IRLConor wrote: »
    Personally, if I were you I would hold off on any extra pushing for reloading (outside of the FCP) until we see the publication of the bill for the new Explosives Act. It's due later this year and will probably set the basis for any possible future reloading. I doubt there'll be any movement on reloading before that gets enacted. When the initial bill comes out, then that'll be the time to go campaigning to your NGB and local TDs to press for amendments to it to be more reloading friendly. Keep an eye out here for that and other upcoming legislation.

I wouldn't bother going to the media about it, it's not a topic that would be likely to sell newspapers. It's a minority issue of a minority sport as far as they're concerned. Ultimately the media doesn't get laws made unless it's a "public outrage" kind of situation and if there was one of those involving reloading I doubt it would be likely to turn out well.

So, in summary, if I were you I'd do the following:
    • Contact your NGB and ask them what they're doing about reloading on the FCP and if there's anything you can do to help move it on. Even if they don't need your help for the FCP, knowing that you're out there and you care about the issue is helpful and they can always come back to you later for help. Get your money's worth from your NGB!
    • Keep an eye out for the Explosives Bill and lobby your local TDs for amendments to get what you want. If you're looking for something to do in advance of this, make up a short document on reloading. Keep it very short and very simple. That way when the TD says "what the hell is reloading" you'll have a canned answer for them. Include answers for common concerns like the safety and security issues so that they don't get caught out in the Dáil. Practice an "elevator pitch" if you're going to meet them in person.
    • When the bill hits the committee stage, make sure you've contacted the TDs and Senators on that committee beforehand to explain your position. I suspect it'll be the Joint Committee on Justice, Equality, Defence and Women's Rights. Keep an eye on what they all say on the matter in the committee debates and be sure to praise the ones that raise your issues.
    • Make sure you cooperate with your NGB through this process, they may have extra material for you that they've used before and they may be able to offer advice on dealing with particular politicians if they've dealt with them before. Advice like "don't go to Tony Gregory on hunting issues" could turn out to be very valuable. It also prevents duplication of effort.

very well said IRL connor now that makes a lot of sense :Dsteve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Emotions are starting to run high now, so it's probably best to throw the towels over the taps right here.

Low level Charter breaches have been thrown from a fair few directions, so I'm not even going to attempt to try to sort through them to decide if infractions are warranted or not; therefore, no infractions for anyone.
    For the moment. Attempts to continue the mud slinging will result in stronger measures.

Spirited debate is welcomed and encouraged, name calling and similar childishness is not.

Thread closed on a positive note, a few posts at the end deleted.

Rovi.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement