Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos New Catalogue

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Would like to, but I need money to go into a place like that.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Mrs.T wrote: »
    Anybody going tomorrow?
    Me! Going buying bookshelves, and my mate is getting bookshelves and a chest of drawers - exciting stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

magnumlady wrote: »
    Do you know where Lidl is?
    If so, you pass Lidl with Lidl on your right, turn right at the end of the road (I think its called Martin Savage Terrace) and you will see the retail park further up the road on the right.
    Its a fair enough walk from the railway station.
    As far as I remember there are signs up for Cleveragh Retail park.

In my opinion I think its in the wrong place, but its not the fault of Argos who wanted to go to the Carraroe retail originally.

Thanks for that. It does not sound like its within walking distance of the town centre, or the bus station etc , unlike the Argos in neighbouring towns like Castlebar, Enniskillen, Athlone etc. Carraroe is a good walk up a hill from the town centre too, and on the map looks like being halfway between Sligo and Ballisodare, which is 5 miles away. Pity that. Pity for the planet too, I thought that in these economic and environmental times we should all be encouraged to ditch our cars and have places within walking distance, espec. of public transport hubs like train / bus stations, town centres etc

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

jimmmy wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It does not sound like its within walking distance of the town centre, or the bus station etc , unlike the Argos in neighbouring towns like Castlebar, Enniskillen, Athlone etc. Carraroe is a good walk up a hill from the town centre too, and on the map looks like being halfway between Sligo and Ballisodare, which is 5 miles away. Pity that. Pity for the planet too, I thought that in these economic and environmental times we should all be encouraged to ditch our cars and have places within walking distance, espec. of public transport hubs like train / bus stations, town centres etc

we are happy to have argos within a 10 mile radius of sligo town after all the hassle to get it in the first place.
    its a 10 minute walk from the garda station.
    about the same distance as argos in longford is from the town centre

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sligo is now present in stores to 'Check stock and reserve' on the Argos website - was sure it'd be at least the weekend before this was implemented.

Now to buy this large DVD storage shelf and ditch my 5 x 40 DVD rack. If anyone wants them, they're going cheap! ;)
    Sligored wrote:
    we are happy to have argos within a 10 mile radius of sligo town after all the hassle to get it in the first place.
    Couldn't agree more... 'beggars can't be choosers' and all that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Well it opened:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/3007105713/

No ribbon cutting, no freebee's, although I think the 'official' opening is Saturday afternoon.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Argos extra's are bigger and hold everything that's in the catalogue in stock except for some of the Home Delivery items such as some of the beds and sofa's.
    On that note,home delivery is €7.50 within Co.Dublin but €29.50 for everyone who doesn't live in Dublin...bit unfair if you ask me!:mad:

The first item I typed in was out of stock:(

Christ.. it's manic in there! :rolleyes:
    No ribbon cutting, no freebee's, although I think the 'official' opening is Saturday afternoon.
    Yeah.. official opening on Saturday alright.

Wonder what failed celebrity they'll be getting to open it..!

When I got there just before 9am, there were two people waiting.....I was disappointed for them.

Sligored wrote: »
    its a 10 minute walk from the garda station.

given the Garda station is a five or ten minute walk from the bus + train station, and then another 10 or 15 minutes to find Argos, it does not sound as though its a nice prospect for those on foot, at least at this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The retail parks have never been easy for those on foot to get to. Cleveragh is closer to the centre than Carraroe.

Basquille - we finally got our DVD shelves too! We have two of these.

Xiney wrote: »
    Basquille - we finally got our DVD shelves too! We have two of these.
    They're very nice alright.. I need something bigger though and a lighter shade.

Last count I've got roughly 240 DVD's.. and about 30 boxsets so I'll probably fill the one I'm buying! :eek:

The retail parks have never been easy for those on foot to get to.
    There was / is only one other shop beside Argos, thats Smyths toys I believe. Hardly should be called a "retail park"...more a "retail flower bed or something surely ? Still, as long as its on a main road to somewhere, it may do well, even though the Argos in other places like Enniskillen, Castlebar + Athlone are in more of a retail , easier to get to environment.

Cleveragh is closer to the centre than Carraroe.
    Do ye really have to burn fossil fuel , + almost need a map if you dont know the area, to get to either , in this day + age?

I was back in there just after 1pm (had to bring the mother for a look), it was packed.
    I'm delighted for them, I was sort of worried after the miserable turn out this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

There was / is only one other shop beside Argos, thats Smyths toys I believe. Hardly should be called a "retail park"...more a "retail flower bed or something surely ? Still, as long as its on a main road to somewhere, it may do well, even though the Argos in other places like Enniskillen, Castlebar + Athlone are in more of a retail , easier to get to environment.

Do ye really have to burn fossil fuel , + almost need a map if you dont know the area, to get to either , in this day + age?

That presumes you actually live in the town centre!
    The area that Argos is close to has a large population in close proximity so it's handy for them.

Can't comment on the fossil fuel comment? I have no idea what point your making there?

Gillie wrote: »
    That presumes you actually live in the town centre!

No, why would it? I do not live in the town centre of Enniskillen, Castlebar or Athlone , but have seen Argos stores there, and in fact have been in them, as I walked around the towns / other shops there.
    The area that Argos is close to has a large population in close proximity so it's handy for them.
    mmm I have just looked at google earth and that area seems to have an awful lot of green fields / water nearby, certainly not "a large population".
    A friend is going to Sligo by public transport at the weekend , so lets hope it is indeed in close proximity to the town centre, especially if the weather is wet and windy.

Can't comment on the fossil fuel comment? I have no idea what point your making there?
    Pity the planners did not learn from the experience elsewhere. Why locate a high profile shop in a remote location, away from most other shops, so people have to drive out of their way to it ? Surely we should all be trying to reduce our carbon footprint instead of increasing it ? Maybe Argos is located on a nice wide, safe, straight road from the town centre, but I asked someone on the phone for directions, and it was quite confusing

mmm I have just looked at google earth and that area seems to have an awful lot of green fields / water nearby, certainly not "a large population".
    A friend is going to Sligo by public transport at the weekend , so lets hope it is indeed in close proximity to the town centre, especially if the weather is wet and windy.

In relation to Sligo's total population it is a large population.
    The Train & Bus station is just about as far from the Centre of town as the one in Galway is from Shop Street. Maybe a little further.
    Pity the planners did not learn from the experience elsewhere. Why locate a high profile shop in a remote location, away from most other shops, so people have to drive out of their way to it ? Surely we should all be trying to reduce our carbon footprint instead of increasing it ? Maybe Argos is located on a nice wide, safe, straight road from the town centre, but I asked someone on the phone for directions, and it was quite confusing

I wouldn't consider it remote.
    They chose a pretty crap location but they didn't have much of a choice.
    Have you heard all the nonsense surrounding their original application in 2004?

The Train & Bus station is just about as far from the Centre of town as the one in Galway is from Shop Street. Maybe a little further.

Why did Argos not locate in a better location, closer to the centre of town so ? Everyone would be happier then.

Hav you heard of Sligo Chamber of Commerce??
    Disaster!

There are buses that run quite near Argos.
    I saw several people waiting at a bustop today clutching their Argos books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's fantastic news about Argos magnumlady. :) Although when you think about it the bus service is supposed to service big outlets like Argos and many others as they do throughout the country.

Please forgive for my next comment as I am not native to Sligo. Homebase, PC World etc are all out in the retail park. Now I enquired because my parents wanted to do some shopping and didn't want to have the car. They figured they would spend the day in Sligo, just the same as Sligo people do when in Dublin for the day . Get their shopping done and go into town for coffee, lunch etc while your shop is safely in your car in a parking lot. I was asked to contact Bus Eireann for times for their runs out to the retail park. According to Bus Eireann there is no run out to the retail park during the week at all, and only one run on a Saturday. This is completely outrageous. Then I enquired about car park facilities and was appalled by the alarming lack of spaces in town considering the amount of cars that come in and out of Sligo on a daily basis. For people visiting it is terrible but it must cause you to pull out your hair if you live here. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

DenMan wrote: »
    Please forgive for my next comment as I am not native to Sligo. Homebase, PC World etc are all out in the retail park. Now I enquired because my parents wanted to do some shopping and didn't want to have the car. They figured they would spend the day in Sligo, just the same as Sligo people do when in Dublin for the day . Get their shopping done and go into town for coffee, lunch etc while your shop is safely in your car in a parking lot. I was asked to contact Bus Eireann for times for their runs out to the retail park. According to Bus Eireann there is no run out to the retail park during the week at all, and only one run on a Saturday. This is completely outrageous.

Yeah, it's a pain but I don't know if there would be a demand for buses going up to the retail park during the week. Certainly in the week or 2 coming up to Christmas they probably could.
    Sometimes when I get the bus or see it in town more often then not there's not many on it or no-one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Well I've been, I've bought bookshelves, and two poor lads were assigned to drag my boxes to the car - all in all a good trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The bus goes from Abbey Street bus stop every 20 minutes to Cleveragh.

Coming back you get the bus from the same bus stop, it goes through Cranmore, past the cemetary, up Cairns Road, back down again, on Saturdays it would then go to the retail park, weekdays it goes then to Crozon, then Caltragh, past government offices, down Gallows Hill, High Street then John Street. So it will take about 20 minutes to get back to town if you had something heavy to carry, otherwise a 10 minute walk.

Cost €1.40 for any journey.
    Doesn't run on Sundays.

Probably the easiest way to give directions is to say keep going straight from the barracks until you get to a lake, then turn right.

My work here is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks sueme.

Must make sure not to end up in the lake (again). :o

Just kidding.

Hav you heard of Sligo Chamber of Commerce??
    Disaster!

Actually I was told by people who live in Sligo that the chamber of commerce wanted them in the centre of Sligo ? Everyone would have been happy then.
    The town should have grown from the centre outwards, just as in the development plan. Instead developments miles out in places like Carraroe and Cleveragh were allowed develop ...now instead of walking to the shops, and doing one-stop-shopping when you are doing your other business / going to cafes etc ( not to mention banking / insurance / dental appointments etc ) you have to get in to your gas-guzzler car and drive to out of town locations. Not very convenient or environmentally friendly, especially for those for example who come to Sligo by train or bus and who do not drive. A pity, because Sligo could have been such a nicer and more convenient place to shop in / visit

Actually I was told by people who live in Sligo that the chamber of commerce wanted them in the centre of Sligo ? Everyone would have been happy then.
    The town should have grown from the centre outwards, just as in the development plan. Instead developments miles out in places like Carraroe and Cleveragh were allowed develop ...now instead of walking to the shops, and doing one-stop-shopping when you are doing your other business / going to cafes etc ( not to mention banking / insurance / dental appointments etc ) you have to get in to your gas-guzzler car and drive to out of town locations. Not very convenient or environmentally friendly, especially for those for example who come to Sligo by train or bus and who do not drive. A pity, because Sligo could have been such a nicer and more convenient place to shop in / visit

Fair enough but just to correct you on one point.
    The Chamber didn't want Argos at ALL!
    They wanted to keep the small local businesses running this town which is fair enough but only if those businesses are willing to be competitive and fair.

You seem to be pushing the idea of not getting in the car rather than where the businesses are located. If the public transport was improved (a lot) then I would be a helluva lot more in favour of leaving the car at home but it's currently inadequate!

I have said before on this board that another issue here is the lack of green areas.
    I would love to see the racecourse move to Cloonamahon as suggested and the old racecourse turned into a massive park for the people of Sligo but it's not bloody likely i'm afraid!

The reason that Homebase/PC World etc are where they are is because it was deemed a perfect location for them and I for one agree with this model.

Sligo traffic is bad enough without having these stores in the Centre of town but that's my opinion.:)

Fair enough but just to correct you on one point.
    The Chamber didn't want Argos at ALL!
    Actually they wanted them in Sligo, they have welcomed Argos to Sligo, but their position always was that they should be in Sligo, not 2 or 3 miles away in Carraroe.
    You seem to be pushing the idea of not getting in the car rather than where the businesses are located. If the public transport was improved (a lot) then I would be a helluva lot more in favour of leaving the car at home but it's currently inadequate!

Looking at the numbers of people shopping in Carraroe, it will never be viable to have an adequate and regular bus service between the industrial / retail park there and the centre of Sligo. When I go to Castlebar, Enniskillen or Athlone, I can walk to Argos from the town centre, no hassle. Why should I be looking for a non-existent bus in Sligo ?

IThe reason that Homebase/PC World etc are where they are is because it was deemed a perfect location for them and I for one agree with this model.

If its that great why is the car park there mostly empty, + units like the furniture shop at the end there closing down ? Would it not have been better within walking distance of the town centre, like the park in Letterkenny is ? Now there a more convenient place to visit.
    Sligo traffic is bad enough without having these stores in the Centre of town but that's my opinion.:)

Homebase etc would never have been built in the main street there but any town planner from anywhere in the world will tell you it should have been built on a brown field site closer to the town centre, instead of literally a green field site half way to Ballisodare.

Where would you put the retail park then jimmmy? If not in Carraroe.
    The town is so badly designed for traffic that I would imagine if it was anywhere nearer to town it would be a nightmare to try and get too.

Its bad enough trying to drive in and out of the town and trying to park.

• Advertisement

Anywhere close to the inner relief road junction / town centre would be handier / more environmentally friendly , and it would be close to the bus + train station too. I flew out of Sligo recently and it was amazing all the space and potential sites much closer to Sligo town centre than Carraroe. I heard a rumour that the Brooks Hanley timber yard place ( which I believe has closed down ) will be redeveloped as a commercial site. Look at the success of Letterkenny - you can walk to the "retail park" there. In places like Castlebar, Athlone + Enniskillen Argos is not in a retail park miles from the town centre, it is more in the town centres there.

Advertisement