Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos New Catalogue

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

jimmmy wrote: »
    Anywhere close to the inner relief road junction / town centre would be handier / more environmentally friendly , and it would be close to the bus + train station too. I flew out of Sligo recently and it was amazing all the space and potential sites much closer to Sligo town centre than Carraroe. I heard a rumour that the Brooks Hanley timber yard place ( which I believe has closed down ) will be redeveloped as a commercial site. Look at the success of Letterkenny - you can walk to the "retail park" there. In places like Castlebar, Athlone + Enniskillen Argos is not in a retail park miles from the town centre, it is more in the town centres there.

the argos is not in carraroe. nothing in sligo can be far since it is a very small town. its arround the corner from lidl. not that far from the center anyway. 10 minute walk max. You could leave your car at argos and walk up to town (parking is free there, ok I'm dutch and cant help thinking of the penny's!:D) Ps. flying is not very enviromental friendly either!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

All this talk about where the retail parks are located and using cars in Sligo is starting to irritate me.
    One literally needs a car to get around Sligo due to the infrastructure being so poor(bus routes)
    Carraroe is not half way to Ballisodare from Sligo,I have walked from town to Carraroe several times and tbh it isn't that far.
    The retail parks locate outside of all major towns,not just Sligo.The size of Carraroe retail park would have been almost impossible to squeeze into a space in Sligo town.Ok maybe Argos could have located to a better spot but that would only have made traffic worse in the town and its bad enough at the moment if you ask me.
    Maybe the Argos stores in Athlone, Castlebar and Enniskillen are all in the town center is because they are smaller,Argos extra's are bigger and need more space so often locate in retail park which are more often than not located on the outskirts of town.Take Argos extra in Longford....it's probably quicker to walk from Sligo town center to Argos here than it is from Longford town center to their Argos extra.

Oh and for someone who is so worried about the enviroment and burning fossil fuels....why are you driving to Sligo...whats wrong with public transport:p

I think that's my rant over for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

There was / is only one other shop beside Argos, thats Smyths toys I believe. Hardly should be called a "retail park"...more a "retail flower bed or something surely ? Still, as long as its on a main road to somewhere, it may do well, even though the Argos in other places like Enniskillen, Castlebar + Athlone are in more of a retail , easier to get to environment.

Do ye really have to burn fossil fuel , + almost need a map if you dont know the area, to get to either , in this day + age?

I'm delighted Argos is in Cleveragh Retail Park (it's not in not Carraroe, are people confused or am I reading things wrong). I think it's a perfect location, there's a great spacious free carpark and it's easy and stress-free to get to from the Pearse Road side, down by the sports complex. Personally, ANY time I've been to any Argos store I've needed the car and more importantly, the boot to put my purchases in and cart them home. I've also always had either baby/kids with me and would 100% need to have the car to carry what I'm buying. I don't know what you buy in argos jimmmy but it must be tiny and easy to carry if you can bring it on a bus or train with you comfortably. Any time I've bought anything in Argos I've needed help carrying it out to car, so I can't imagine saving the planet, like you suggest and bringing all my purchases on a bus/train/bike for the rest of my life, along with the kids/dog and weekly shopping?!? Just doesn't make sense in this day and age with busy lifestyles to lead and things to get done :)

The Argos near Headford Road, Galway is a disaster to park at and drive to, very bad traffic in the area, but I managed it plenty of times. Central locations (close to city centres etc) are a disastrous idea for Argos as, with no adequate parking and heavy traffic in the area, they'd only ever get customers who were purchasing one or two small items and not filling a boot with lots of bulkier, and possibly more expensive purchases. I love the convenience of Argos, you can browse in the evening/night time, order your stuff and just go pick them up whenever it suits, magic, hate store shopping! Argos is excellent for people who work full-time and have families to keep them busy on evenings/weekends.....ie me! :D

Welcome to Sligo Argos!

:D Whoop Whoop :D

Now, I wonder when M & S is coming..........hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

the argos is not in carraroe.
    Nobody said it was. It is even further out of town than Cleveragh.
    nothing in sligo can be far since it is a very small town.
    Try walking to the retail / industrial parks on a wet and windy day like today so.
    its arround the corner from lidl.
    No its not, lidl is at least a five minute walk away, and lidl is a good distance - about a 15 minute walk - from the bus or train station

not that far from the center anyway. 10 minute walk max.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Oh for the love of God. It takes 10/15 mins to walk from town to the retail park. 20 if you're walking with kids. It's not that far away. It's within walking distance of the town!

We finally get an argos here, something we have been asking for for years and now you have to listen some people complaining about the fact that is isn't situated on their front doorstep. I suggest you get over it tbh! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    Personally, ANY time I've been to any Argos store I've needed the car and more importantly, the boot to put my purchases in and cart them home. I've also always had either baby/kids with me and would 100% need to have the car to carry what I'm buying.

You have a right to use a car for all your shopping trips to every shop , just as people have the right to use a big 4x4 to collect / drop kids at school everyday etc. However, if everyone on the planet done that, there would be an awful lot of extra traffic, pollution etc. I have often bought stuff ( eg a box of blank CD's I think it was on the last visit ; a bag another time ) in Argos - if I happened to be visiting towns like Enniskillen, Athlone or Castlebar - without the need to drive to it or go miles out of way. Thats just my experience. I know others often wondered why the shopping areas in Sligo are getting so spread out in the last few recent years too, to the detriment of peoples convenience and the environment.

N.B. thats my last post on this thread, I have other things to do. Good luck to Argos, hope they do well, but if I was in Sligo now on a wet day like this I would not walk 15 or 20 minutes ( and another 15 or 20 minutes back ) , past housing estates and industrial estates, to visit a "retail park" which only contained 2 shops, Smyths and Argos. The "retail park" may be in a lovely scenic area, with the river / green belt etc nearby, so maybe in the summer I will visit Argos there for a look, to see how it compares to the other Argos.

Argos may have come to Sligo, but lets not lose sight of the fact it is not as convenient or close to the town centre as the Argos in neighbouring towns such as Athlone, Enniskillen or Castlebar, and its location will result in millions of vehicles journeys leaving a larger carbon footprint than necessary. A town planner friend from abroad cannot understand why such mistakes were made recently in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

You have a right to use a car for all your shopping trips to every shop , just as people have the right to use a big 4x4 to collect / drop kids at school everyday etc. However, if everyone on the planet done that, there would be an awful lot of extra traffic, pollution etc. I have often bought stuff ( eg a box of blank CD's I think it was on the last visit ; a bag another time ) in Argos - if I happened to be visiting towns like Enniskillen, Athlone or Castlebar - without the need to drive to it or go miles out of way. Thats just my experience. I know others often wondered why the shopping areas in Sligo are getting so spread out in the last few recent years too, to the detriment of peoples convenience and the environment.

N.B. thats my last post on this thread, I have other things to do. Good luck to Argos, hope they do well, but if I was in Sligo now on a wet day like this I would not walk 15 or 20 minutes ( and another 15 or 20 minutes back ) , past housing estates and industrial estates, to visit a "retail park" which only contained 2 shops, Smyths and Argos. The "retail park" may be in a lovely scenic area, with the river / green belt etc nearby, so maybe in the summer I will visit Argos there for a look, to see how it compares to the other Argos.

thank god for that. argos has finally come to sligo-happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

Can anyone tell me what is EXTRA in our Sligo ARGOS EXTRA - haven't had chance to call around and pick up a catalogue yet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

snowdaze wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what is EXTRA in our Sligo ARGOS EXTRA
    Been answered already a few pages back..

For an "extra" store,they don;t seem to have that many things in stock:( Alot of things i have been looking for havn't been in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

bobcar61 wrote: »
    For an "extra" store,they don;t seem to have that many things in stock:( Alot of things i have been looking for havn't been in stock.

Same here, maybe its just teething troubles...hopefully. I won 20 euro in vouchers on Saturday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

magnumlady wrote: »
    Same here, maybe its just teething troubles...hopefully. I won 20 euro in vouchers on Saturday:D

Check the expiration date - been burned on that recently with Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

takola wrote: »
    Oh for the love of God. It takes 10/15 mins to walk from town to the retail park. 20 if you're walking with kids. It's not that far away. It's within walking distance of the town!

We finally get an argos here, something we have been asking for for years and now you have to listen some people complaining about the fact that is isn't situated on their front doorstep. I suggest you get over it tbh! :rolleyes:

seems we cant please everyone takola,

:confused:

maybe we should get 4 argos, the current one, one in carroroe, one in finiskin, and one finally in the town centre,

:D

i honestly dont think its far out to it, i often walk to currys and PC world from the town centre, and the argos site is not as far away as they are

Xiney wrote: »
    Check the expiration date - been burned on that recently with Argos.

i got a €15 voucher for Argos on Saturday(the day after I had bought all my stuff:() but it doesn't expire until 2013:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

bobcar61 wrote: »

This is the same everytime a new Argos store opens......the basics come in and then stock is replenished from then on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭heymayo

Argos can't beat currys in my opinon .. At most its a novelty for people for a while but if you compare prices on TV's etc Currys is cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 jayo27

Argos have the €10 voucher promotion back on again this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

The new catalogue is out today with all the new summer gardening and outdoor ranges and price reductions in store on items from the previous catalogue that are not in the new one.

Advertisement