Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Changed in a busy pub

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

"they can decide not to go ahead with the transaction"

lol nomally when it comes to asking for a receipt you have already handed the cash over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

There is no legal requirement on a retailer or service provider to providea receipt at the time of transaction. However, a consumer is entitled toask for a receipt and if one is refused they can decide not to go aheadwith the transaction.

msg11 wrote:
    It's totally illegal for him not too issue a receipt.
    msg11 wrote:
    There is protocol in place and its know as giving out a receipt. Simple as.
    msg11 wrote:
    cgarvey your local "policy", needs to be clarified
    Most pubs and even shops insist staff give out receipts as
    A. they're legally obliged too and
    msg11 wrote:
    Look, you can rant on at me all day long the simple fact is the bar/management/barman broke the law, by refusing to give out a receipt. When they HAVE to give you one.

And best of all
    msg11 wrote:
    I learnt this in my training for the company I work for that it is a legal requirement to provide the customer with a receipt.

I think someone needs to make an apology

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ouch, guess somebodu should have checked that legal requirment before telling people off etc

Ah, well, fairplay for posting the reply he got back, but!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Yep, looks like I am wrong this time. Even though I was trained, that this was the legal status.

I think this should really be made a law. ;)

So now its a case of why all the wasted paper. :eek:

Actually it makes sense now why supermarkets give them, out, there's pheking advertisements on the back of them ! :pac:

Namesco, giving out a receipt is a protocol to deal with this situation even if it is not a legal requirement, if he gave one out in the first place, the OP would have just been able to look at the receipt.

cgarvey your local "policy", needs to be clarified. It still has to be clarified, why he turns the printer off ? Is he allowed to turn it off ?

Namesco, it is easy to turn around and give out too me for giving out advise on what I though was the law, I can safely say you would not have posted the e-mail you got back, even if you knew 100% you were wrong.

And also, is there something wrong with my advise, it makes perfect logic and should be made law. As for the company training me on this, is that my fault the company told me that it was a legal requirement? Don't think so buddy. So try not too be as quick too turn around and slate people, cause they got there facts wrong.

It's another case of don't believe everything you hear on the internet. And it is totally at your desgression.

Now back to the original posters situation, it still dose'nt change the fact that there is something ropey going on !

• Advertisement

msg11 wrote: »
    Namesco, it is easy to turn around and give out too me for giving out advise on what I though was the law, I can safely say you would not have posted the e-mail you got back, even if you knew 100% you were wrong.

I wouldn’t have kept preaching from a height without knowing the facts! And then turn around blame my training and still base my argument about what I think should be law :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Namesco wrote: »
    I wouldn’t have kept preaching from a height without knowing the facts! And then turn around blame my training and still base my argument about what I think should be law :cool:

Well that's the argument I am going to go with as it is what I was told. And what I though, I would not have commented saying what I said if I did not think it was correct. Anyway I was wrong.

Would there be reason for it not been law? This would seem like a sensible law:eek:, considering everyone has to get receipt, so it cuts this crap out, and stops all these scams. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

msg11 wrote: »
    cgarvey your local "policy", needs to be clarified a little, the company allows switching off of your printer connected to the till? Why would you need to do this ?

To save paper/printing costs is the main reason why you'd want to. There are many retail environments where issuing a receipt, by default, for each transaction is complete overkill. Any PoS system I've seen can be configured to cater for this (always on, always on with override, always off with override, always off default on for certain departments, etc., etc.).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Our POS system has an option for forced receipts, no receipts, optional receipts, receipts above X euros, sequentially numbered receipts, duplicate receipts and green receipts (sent automatically via e-mail) in line with differing international laws and practices. The main reason for turning off receipt issuing is to delete the transaction and declare lower turnover to the tax authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The main reason for turning off receipt issuing is to delete the transaction and declare lower turnover to the tax authorities.

Just because a receipt isn't printed doesn't mean the transaction wouldn't be processed through the EPOS system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

I think that's enough off-topic rambling. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to hearing an update from the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

well I still havent heard anything from the Bar Manager surprise surprise, cant take 3 days to check cctv i woudlnt imagine, or even a call to see we are still looking into it would buy him more time but asas its not to be.

I think I have been more then fair and leniant.

Any suggestions for my next step?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Perhaps name and shame ?

can do, but dont want to cause hassel for boards.ie, libel and sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

il say it again ring the gardai, its theft

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

How can the truth be libel ? let them sue you ,they have to prove you are in the wrong and to do so they have to use the evidence they say they dont have! (not legal advice just seems a no brainer to me ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

dsane1 wrote: »
    How can the truth be libel ?

I anal, but I believe you can be liable for libel (ha) if you can't prove your version of the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

don't see why you can't name the pub. you are just giving your experience of being in the pub so not libel

Cheers Roundtower, well the pub that I had this experience in was McGowans in Phibsboro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Ring or go into the pub again, they prob get the shortchange story alot and only follow up the people who get back to them.
    this would weed out those who made a mistake themselves and the chancers.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update on this, I havent heard anything back, but work have booked there for drinks and finger food this week where we will all be suited and booted so i am going to ask for the manager then when I am there in person.

On a side note I was in Dandelion at the weekend. Waiting to order and the lady beside me got short changed 30 quid, same deal, gave back change of 20 instead of 50, she said it to him right away, he went to the till and took it out no questions asked and wouldnt look her in the eye as he went onto serve me, i asked for a receit right away so he understood He'd been copped.

Next round exact same thing, different barman to a bloke beside me, a complete carbon copy of what happened the time before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

brightkane wrote: »
    well I still havent heard anything from the Bar Manager surprise surprise, cant take 3 days to check cctv i woudlnt imagine, or even a call to see we are still looking into it would buy him more time but asas its not to be.

I think I have been more then fair and leniant.

Any suggestions for my next step?

It takes 2 minutes to check CCTV, not 3 days!
    Had a similar experience before in a pub in Swords - bought and paid for 2 pints, wasn't shortchanged, but turned away to talk to someone and when I turned back to get the pints they were gone. Pointed it out to the barman and he accused me of lying and taking the pints then looking for more free ones. Asked for the manager and she took less than 2 minutes to check the CCTV. Turned out another barman had picked them up to give to another customer.
    Just shows when they want to check it they can do it in no time at all. You have been well fobbed off here OP...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I am finding shops are trying this on a lot at the moment, even managers :eek:. The corner shop near work I handed across a €20, he gave me change of €10. I pointed it out to him, and he was extremely slow in giving me the other €10, and joked saying he was half asleep and not yet with it this morning. It was his slowness to give it to me that kind of sent an alarm ringing in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Publicans have probably been doing this for years, then they had the cheek to complain about how the smoking ban will affect there profits!!

On another note, our local video rental shop tryed a scam by telling people that that they were late returning videos/ dvd's, most people just paid the fine until he was caught. He came into the local chipper (packed at the time) and everyone started singing: 'Im the SCAM man'!! He closed down about 2 weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

Had an experience on the same note a couple of years ago, was in a well known Pub on Blackhorse avenue near the park, anyhow i ordered a round off a bar-girl, i handed her €50 and after a brief moment and checked my change, i realised she short changed me by €30, by this time she had made her way down to the other end of the busy bar.
    When i caught up with her and tapped her on the shoulder, she looked at me and took the €30 out of her shirt pocket and handed it straight back to me, no questions asked.
    I didn't make an issue with management, but did give out to her.

PS. she doesn't work there anymore, may be grown out of bar girl work, but it reminds people to watch their change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

My Mother was recently shortchanged in Tesco in Tallaght. She gave a fifty (just been to the atm, all she had with her) and gave her back changed from twenty. She said it to the girl who called the manager and told her that they would have to check the till at the end of the night and they'd call the next day. No call the next day so my Mother rang them and they said the till had balanced exactly, wasn't a cent out. Tills hardly ever balance exactly, and my Mother asked them to check the cctv footage. The manager said the cctv doesn't show footage of each till just entry and exit. Anyhow she never got her money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Whenever i hand over a 50 i always accompany it with "There is fifty euro" stopped the attempted short changing in various places. Getting them to acknowledge its a denomination while their accepting it is a good deterent to stop pocketing the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

tills in tesco and other large supermarkets show the till(from the top to show money going in and out) and also have a record of what is showing on the register to go with the video! the manager knows that admitting this and finding the theft will only bring bad publicity on tesco's but dont be surprised if that shop assistant no longer works there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

craichoe wrote: »
    Whenever i hand over a 50 i always accompany it with "There is fifty euro" stopped the attempted short changing in various places. Getting them to acknowledge its a denomination while their accepting it is a good deterent to stop pocketing the change.

that is the cure my friends !

Advertisement