Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Changed in a busy pub

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

brightkane wrote: »
    can do, but dont want to cause hassel for boards.ie, libel and sh1te

that won't happen but still i won't post the name until you get this sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

It was his slowness to give it to me that kind of sent an alarm ringing in my mind.

Well that's interesting. Have to say I'd take the opposite view. I got short changed from time to time and on occasions it can take a bit of time and some head sums to persuade them that an error had being made. I am inclined to think these are genuine mistakes. It they are rumbled then there nothing to be gained by dragging their heels in sorting it out.

Its when you call whoever serves you back and they seem to know exactly what's up before the even get to you that I get suspicious.

I like to think that they are all genuine mistakes but I can't help noticing that I absolutely never get too much change back by mistake ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

well OP,just as well you were in dublin that night...
    my brother and i went for pints about 3 weeks ago. he goes to the bar and orders the round (2 pints,2 shorts for the ladeez!) with his 20 yoyo note ready in his hand.bar lady disappears to get the round.
    some lawdeedaw barges in rudely, jumps queue and orders some big round off another barman ,leaves a 50 on the counter to turn round and talks to his buddies.
    meanwhile, the barlady returns with my brother's round. he coolly picks up the 50 on the bar, drops the round down to the table and goes back up to collect "his" change while snobbyarse is argueing with the other barman about the 50!!!
    how cool is that???
    my brother says he'd never have done it only for your man being so rude,and no, he doesn't do this kinda stuff ever; he just seized the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

staker wrote: »
    my brother and i went for pints about 3 weeks ago. he goes to the bar and orders the round (2 pints,2 shorts for the ladeez!) with his 20 yoyo note ready in his hand.bar lady disappears to get the round.
    some lawdeedaw barges in rudely, jumps queue and orders some big round off another barman ,leaves a 50 on the counter to turn round and talks to his buddies.
    meanwhile, the barlady returns with my brother's round. he coolly picks up the 50 on the bar, drops the round down to the table and goes back up to collect "his" change while snobbyarse is argueing with the other barman about the 50!!!
    how cool is that???
    my brother says he'd never have done it only for your man being so rude,and no, he doesn't do this kinda stuff ever; he just seized the moment!!

Your ip has been tracked and the internet police are on the way. Please stay in the house.

Your brother is a scumbag, no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

craichoe wrote: »
    Whenever i hand over a 50 i always accompany it with "There is fifty euro" stopped the attempted short changing in various places. Getting them to acknowledge its a denomination while their accepting it is a good deterent to stop pocketing the change.

Yeah I always do that with a 50 or I mark the note by bending one of the corners...

• Advertisement

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Your ip has been tracked and the internet police are on the way. Please stay in the house.

Your brother is a scumbag, no excuse.

woohoo, more money for the ransom!! KERCHIIIING:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Yeah I always do that with a 50 or I mark the note by bending one of the corners...

If you mark the note, surely it would only prove that at some point during the night you tendered that note, not necessarily that you tendered it in that transaction. It would certainly strengthen your argument but would not be definitive proof. I would expect that the CCTV evidence , providing the clock settings etc. were correct, would be definitive proof. Best to tell the person at the till what you're giving them, embarrassing maybe, but cheaper. I notice some cashiers have a policy of actually leaving the notes on top of the till drawer until the transaction is complete, no room for argument then. If you get no satisfaction from the pub, then definitely sound out the Gardai. Theft after all, is a criminal offence. Good luck OP.

Publicans have probably been doing this for years, then they had the cheek to complain about how the smoking ban will affect there profits!!

On another note, our local video rental shop tryed a scam by telling people that that they were late returning videos/ dvd's, most people just paid the fine until he was caught. He came into the local chipper (packed at the time) and everyone started singing: 'Im the SCAM man'!! He closed down about 2 weeks later

:rolleyes:

staker wrote: »
    how cool is that???

a snob and a knacker in the same bar, who would have taught

bmaxi wrote: »
    If you mark the note, surely it would only prove that at some point during the night you tendered that note, not necessarily that you tendered it in that transaction. It would certainly strengthen your argument but would not be definitive proof. <snip>

Well if you are at the bar and this happens, its going to be the note at the top of the 50's pile in the cash register...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

next time be smarter bring 100 euro in ten euro notes

a snob and a knacker in the same bar, who would have taught

A snob and a knacker in the same bar, who would have THOUGHT!!. Obviously nothing TAUGHT in your upbringing.....

Well if you are at the bar and this happens, its going to be the note at the top of the 50's pile in the cash register...

Too many variables for that to be conclusive, i.e number of staff using the till, frequency of tendering of €50 notes, it could be argued that the top note was there for 20 mins etc., some tills stack notes on their side and so on. I'm pretty sure that this type of thing works both ways and if you genuinely knew that you had tendered a €50 note and it turned out not to be the top one of the pile, would you be prepared to accept that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

ok..getting a receipt only shows you made a purchase. The person at the till can enter your purchase (say 3 pints *€5=€15). they then enter the amount you tendered for the transaction €20...receipt shows that you gave them €20 not the €50 you gave them!!

Also allowing them to check the till at the end of the night gives them a chance to take the extra from the till....or somebody to give too much change. Chances are that the till will balance. Letting them do this will only give the scammer a chance to "right" the till (and pocket the extra)...means you never get the money back. Dont let them do it. Force them to sort the problem there and then..or threaten to call the Gardai.

Also you are entitled to a copy any CCTV footage of yourself (for a reasonable fee). So you can request a copy of the footage of yourself giving over the money (if you are on camera) to prove your point

Personally I always bend the corner of a 50....making it very obvious. Then the first 50 in the till has that bend in it and they know that you gave them 50 when you say it to them.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Too many variables for that to be conclusive, i.e number of staff using the till, frequency of tendering of €50 notes, it could be argued that the top note was there for 20 mins etc., some tills stack notes on their side and so on. I'm pretty sure that this type of thing works both ways and if you genuinely knew that you had tendered a €50 note and it turned out not to be the top one of the pile, would you be prepared to accept that?

But then what are the chances of more than one 50 Euro note being folded at one of the corners? Odds are in my favour on that one..

But then what are the chances of more than one 50 Euro note being folded at one of the corners? Odds are in my favour on that one..

I agree, I said at the outset it would strengthen your argument. The fact remains that it didn't have to be in that transaction and it is not unknown for people to scam retailers in exactly that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 odonovanconor

i know this might be a crazy idea, slightly off the point, but what if ATM machines gave out lower demonination notes than 50's. Imagine if you asked the machine for 100 and it gave you 4 x 20's and 2 x10's. if you didn't give the barman a 50 then he couldn't rip off 30 from your change.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

A read of this might be of use: Tips for checking your change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

My family is involved in the pub trade, and you do get bar staff who have no problems in ripping of publicans or punters, If the pub is well run either by a hands on publican or a dedicated manager you should be looked after in a better manner than you have experienced. Any half decent manager should take these situtations seriously.

On the flip side, I have experienced chancers who said they handed in a 20 instead of a 10, 50 instead of a 20 etc, it's a pain in the arse, but each time I was 100% certain I got the coin counter out and did a "x" read of the till, and 9 times out of ten the till was only out the usual couple of euro. When they see you stopping every thing to check the till their attitude usually changes, except for the real c*unts who loudly accuse me of putting the "missing" change in my pocket :rolleyes:

On one occasion I had a little pr1ck who claimed he gave me a 50, when I told him that wasn't possible as it was just after opening time and 20's were the biggest notes in the till he lost the plot, throwing more shapes and abuse than dave mc savage, after 5 minutes one of his buddies came up to the bar to remind the little f%cker that he had bought a ticket from him with his 50 two minutes before he ordered and paid for his drinks. He was a big man while he was accusing me of robbing him, but he wasn't man enough to apologise when he realised he was wrong. Any way that table got ****e service while they were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Was in a bar on friday night with a mate of mine who was a bit worse for wear. He went and got us 2 pints which came to 9.40, he gave the barman 50.40 and the barman goes and gives him back 1euro. He was certain he gave a fifty, why else would he bother giving the 40cent. Aside from that he only had 2 fifty euro notes on him.

He flagged it with the barman straight away and he was really defensive, just as this was happening a girl behind the bar shoots over and starts defending the barman. I reckon they were both at it and seen my drunken mate as an easy target. No satisfaction from the manager as of yet.

The bar is in drumcondra across from the skylon hotel.
    I have been drinking there years without any bother, all of a sudden there are some new barstaff hired and a problem arises.
    Very Frustrating!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement