Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Age Dole Question

• 26-07-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

I've always wondered.

If the Dole was substantially higher than your current wage, would you quit your job and go on it? I am not saying that if you have a bad wage, I mean if the Dole was actually good money.

Would you go on the Dole, or would you keep working?

I think I would stay in my job, if it was reasonably enjoyable (i.e. not horrific) because I have no idea how I would spend my days, from my experience of Summer Holidays. I am not even in full time employment so I suppose I'm not really in a position to answer, but I've wondered what people would decide.

Comments

Don't you have to be sacked to qualify for the dole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Ok then, let's add that into this already theoretical situation.

If the law ALLOWED you to quit and go on the dole..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

of course.

Anyone says otherwise is a liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

No, you can quit your job but might miss a few weeks payment from the dole office bcause of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I'd say I'd go look for a higher paid job. Bob's your uncle.

• Advertisement

jimbo78 wrote: »
    I'd say I'd go look for a higher paid job. Bob's your uncle.
    Why though?

Just because you don't want to have a lower wage than the Dole is offering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I tend to enjoy my job so I don't think I'd quit and go on the scratch, and besides I'd go stir crazy without having the routine of a job to go to every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Timans wrote: »
    Why though?

Just because you don't want to have a lower wage than the Dole is offering?

Yep. Solve's your connundrum dosen't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

If it were legal then why not?

I'd probably flee the country though as the economy would collapse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Friend of mine is on the Social and gets 270 a week.Yeah not great money but he works three nights a week as a doorman and that bags him 400 euro more.Not a bad income for 18 hours a week all said.Know a lot of people who dont get that for a 9-5 Mon-Fri job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Friend of mine is on the Social and gets 270 a week.Yeah not great money but he works three nights a week as a doorman and that bags him 400 euro more.Not a bad income for 18 hours a week all said.Know a lot of people who dont get that for a 9-5 Mon-Fri job

Cash in hand no doubt :rolleyes: It's fcukers like your friend who should be tied up and given a few quick shots of a hurley.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

While the prospect of staying home and working on those books I've always had my mind on is tempting... I'd say no, I would do my job because somebody has to do it, otherwise chaos would engulf the country! :) You'll find that many people don't do their jobs solely for the money, and they are the ones that would continue to work. Unfortunately, that's a low percentage of people who others would sponge off. Therein lies the flaw of communism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

stepbar wrote: »
    Cash in hand no doubt :rolleyes: It's fcukers like your friend who should be tied up and given a few quick shots of a hurley.....

How so? Because he's doing what he can to provide for his family best he can.Should he go sell drugs instead....mind you he's a dodgy looking fella and works on a nightclub door so he prob already is :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Never been on the dole, either working or in school at one stage or another :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

If all my mates and my mrs were doing it, so would I. Otherwise I don't know... I'd probably still do it in my current job, but if it was something I genuinely enjoyed, I'd work away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I dunno, the thing about the dole is the money is crap ... but the hours suit me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Not working is extremely boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

No, working gives purpose to the day. Not working for a long period would kill me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'd definitely take the dole if I got more money.
    Money > Job satisfaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

If it was higher than my wages then yes i would give up work, go away a lot and spend all my other time helping out old people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

gixerfixer wrote: »
    How so? Because he's doing what he can to provide for his family best he can.Should he go sell drugs instead....mind you he's a dodgy looking fella and works on a nightclub door so he prob already is :pac:

Eh how about coming off the dole and paying a bit of tax? Hmmm?

I'd definitely take the dole if I got more money.
    Money > Job satisfaction.
    Celtic Tiger Ireland personified in a mere few sentances.

I am shocked that nobody applauded my witty topic title. I worked very hard on that.

Celtic Tiger Ireland personified in a mere few sentances.
    Ah now. Money buys happiness, we all know that! ;)
    I could do volunteer work, would that be better?
    Timans wrote:
    I am shocked that nobody applauded my witty topic title. I worked very hard on that.

HURRAH! :pac:

Ah now. Money buys happiness, we all know that! ;)
    I could do volunteer work, would that be better?

Yes, but only if you donate the difference between your theoretical wage and the dole payout.

HURRAH! :pac:

Wahey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well I was gonna do it but i couldnt spell applauded so I put in clap into google.. and now i'm gonna have to go and see a doctor about the itch i've had...:(

Yes, but only if you donate the difference between your theoretical wage and the dole payout.

Very well I'll donate it......to my Swiss bank account!

(oops, I said the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet:eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

A better question to pose would be this;

You are offered €1,000,000 at age 20 to never work again by the government. As you get closer to 80 it drops, so at 21, you'd get 59/60ths of 1 million, age 30 you would get 50/60ths etc.

Once you take this money you can never benefit from any kind of income bar standard rate of savings account interest 3-5%. You cant benefit from rent, stock dividends anything like that, just standard interest.

Now 1 million isnt a whole lot of money, you could buy your house and live a fairly reasonable life style for the rest of your days.

But you wouldnt be living the jet set lifestyle, as if you blow through your money renting top class apartments and jetting around the world well you'll be living in the park sleeping on a bench after not too long.

So, what do you do? Keep working and have a slightly harder but ultimately more rewarding lifestyle.

or

Take the government payment and then devote your life to education and self development/expansion?

Tails142 wrote: »
    A better question to pose would be this;

You are offered €1,000,000 at age 20 to never work again by the government. As you get closer to 80 it drops, so at 21, you'd get 59/60ths of 1 million, age 30 you would get 50/60ths etc.

Once you take this money you can never benefit from any kind of income bar standard rate of savings account interest 3-5%. You cant benefit from rent, stock dividends anything like that, just standard interest.

Now 1 million isnt a whole lot of money, you could buy your house and live a fairly reasonable life style for the rest of your days.

But you wouldnt be living the jet set lifestyle, as if you blow through your money renting top class apartments and jetting around the world well you'll be living in the park sleeping on a bench after not too long.

So, what do you do? Keep working and have a slightly harder but ultimately more rewarding lifestyle.

or

Take the government payment and then devote your life to education and self development/expansion?
    Could you live on 1 million euro?

That's an interesting question though. I would definitely NOT take it, I wouldn't like being controlled like that, to just NOT be allowed to do something.

Again though, I wonder could someone live on 1 million euro only, it wouldn't be much of an existence even if it a lot of money because you would have to CONSTANTLY budget as you have no means of future income. I don't think it would be worth it to be honest.

Tails142 wrote: »
    or

or b) coupled with tax evasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Could be made redundant either, or injured.

Advertisement