Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea what the problem is?

Options
  • 26-07-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I bought a few parts from HWV a couple weeks ago and just can't seem to get them going and I'd appreciate any advice.

I'm fairly sure the problem is either the motherboard or the graphics card but I'm 100% sure which.

Here's the setup
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    • 4096MB DDR2 Corsair Twin2X CL 5, PC6400/800
    • ASRock 4Core1600Twins-P35
    • Corsair VX550W
    • Sapphire HD4870 512M GDDR5 PCI-E

When I power it up I can't get any video output, the graphics card fan stays on full and error leds light up on it. I did a search and found a forum where someone else had the same problem with the same card:
    some guy wrote:
    3 leds turn red, but i have no monitor signal.

my specs:
    Intel E8200
    Asus P5Q Pro
    Sapphire ATI 4870
    2GB Corsair 800MHz CL4
    Corsair VX550W
    Samsung 320GB 16MB
    Samsung 226BW

and the reply he was given was
    That's because your card is dead

That's fair enough I thought, but I couldn't try any other cards in it because all my other cards are AGP and this board doesn't have an AGP slot, and none of my other boards have PCI-E x16 slots.

So today I finally got my hands on an ancient PCI graphics card, slotted it in and nothing, the same problem, the card heats up but there's still no output. But I've just tried it in an older motherboard and it does work, so now my problem has gone from being the graphics card to possibly being the motherboard. Is it possible that this old PCI card won't work in a new board but will work in one that's 3 years old? Or could it be something completely different?

This is really pissing me off at this stage...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Take out one of the ram sticks, just leave in one stick and boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

By the way, does anybody have experience returning items to HWV? They're taking their sweet time replying to my email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm going through a RMA with them at the moment, takes a day or 2 for them to reply to your emails, but they'll tell you to cover shipping initially and they'll refund you. This is the email i got
    Dear Sir or Madam,

if the item is broken you have to return it. Please send it to the following addess:

Just in Time Logistics GmbH
    i.A. hardwareversand.de GmbH
    Daimlerweg 2
    D-59519 Möhnesee
    Germany

At first you have to pay for the shipping. But if you send us the invoice of the shipping costs by email or by post, we will refund the amount. Please enclose a copy of the invoice of the returned items and a filled return voucher that can be found on our webshop.

Yours sincerely

hardwareversand.de
    Service Center

Download the return voucher here, .pdf

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Take out one of the ram sticks, just leave in one stick and boot.

Tried it with both sticks, one stick, and no sticks, and different sockets too, still nothing.

Tried it with both sticks, one stick, and no sticks, and different sockets too, still nothing.

Thats usually the main problem with no signal.

Have you tried on board video?

• Advertisement

Thats usually the main problem with no signal.

Have you tried on board video?

Right ok, I didn't know that, but I don't think that's the problem here, and there's no on board video either :(

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm going through a RMA with them at the moment, takes a day or 2 for them to reply to your emails, but they'll tell you to cover shipping initially and they'll refund you. This is the email i got

Download the return voucher here, .pdf

Excellent, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Did you connect up the two 6pin power leads to the gfx card?

Do you have another monitor to test with?

Are the pci express cables connected into the graphics card properly and check if you have all the power connectors connected to the mobo.

Sometimes changing and changing the ram and resetting the cmos several times does the trick.Did you reset the cmos after each time you changed the ram?

Thanks for the replies guys
    Tails142 wrote: »
    Did you connect up the two 6pin power leads to the gfx card?

Yes, I tried both the six pin cables that come directly from the PSU and the power adapters that came with the card, like I said the card is fully powered up, the fan blasts 100% and the LEDs light up.
    Sometimes changing and changing the ram and resetting the cmos several times does the trick.Did you reset the cmos after each time you changed the ram?

I have reset the cmos a number of times but not directly after changing the ram, I'll give it a go and see what happens.

And I've only been using the one monitor, I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference

• Advertisement

And I've only been using the one monitor, I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference

Its shouldnt but, Viewsonic monitors and a few others are having problems with these cards through dvi connection, vga seems to work with them...

Do you have vga adapter?

Its shouldnt but, Viewsonic monitors and a few others are having problems with these cards through dvi connection, vga seems to work with them...

Do you have vga adapter?

I do, I'll give it a go but I won't hold my breath because I've been using two different cards (One vga, one dvi) and the error lights on the 4870 will be there regardless of the monitor

Advertisement