Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wanted - Rover 216 Engine

Options
  • 26-07-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Looking for a rover 216 engine (i beleive there is a honda engine which does the job), reconditioned or otherwise, can anyone point me in the right direction for somone who might stock these, any ideas of cost; engine on its own, engine plus installation?

Alternatively the one I have has stopped working, think the oil is mixing with the water as the dipstick is milky. Any idea of cost to repair if even possible?

Based in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Xon wrote: »
    Looking for a rover 216 engine (i beleive there is a honda engine which does the job), reconditioned or otherwise, can anyone point me in the right direction for somone who might stock these, any ideas of cost; engine on its own, engine plus installation?

Alternatively the one I have has stopped working, think the oil is mixing with the water as the dipstick is milky. Any idea of cost to repair if even possible?

Based in Dublin.

Try www.traynors.co.uk up north, they are a large car breakers, they will deliver to the Republic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

What year? I believe if it had a Honda engine to begin with only a Honda engine can go back in there, and ditto for the Rover engines. Sounds tho like you've a Rover engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Head gasket is gone, its a common problem on Rover K-Series and should not need an engine replacement - first time at least. The's an MG Rover "dealers" in Blanchardstown Village (not sure what he 'deals' anymore as MGR are gone) who'd be able to do the job but most independents shouldn't have a problem doing it either.

See if you can get the gasket replaced with a Land Rover spec gasket, they're far stronger than the Rover ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

MYOB wrote: »
    The's an MG Rover "dealers" in Blanchardstown Village (not sure what he 'deals' anymore as MGR are gone) who'd be able to do the job but most independents shouldn't have a problem doing it either.

They deal in Seat/daihatsu now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

HungryJoey wrote: »
    They deal in Seat/daihatsu now.

Yet they still use the MG/Rover logo when they sponsor footbal games (Were a match sponsor for, um, something recently...) - suspect thats where the owners loyalties would lie; theres also still a massive MG/R stansion outside the garage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Ryan's garage in Blanch are still good for parts. Don't have any experience of their service side though.

OP really needs to specify the year. HG isn't that uncommon on the D16A6 either, which he would likely have if it was a Honda engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

Ryans parts and service are a decent bunch. Christy in parts is spot on and knows his stuff.

A few names of places dropped in this thread on www.mg-rover.org

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=136529

Hopefully some use to you!

Col.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Xon

djeclips wrote: »
    Ryans parts and service are a decent bunch. Christy in parts is spot on and knows his stuff.

A few names of places dropped in this thread on www.mg-rover.org

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=136529

Hopefully some use to you!

Col.

Thanks for this, I will do a bit of ringing around and see what I can get it done for, the diparity in cost seems to be huge depending on where you get it done by the looks of that thread.

Its a 1997.

Its a shame cause the car is next to worthless without it done but it still looks great, use to go great, and I would be well pi$$ed if I had to get rid of it for a song.

Any way of telling wether I only need a new head gasket or whether the engine needs to be replaced so I don't get shafted?

Advertisement