Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Cork City vs St.Pat's

• 26-07-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Wonder why I create this thread?

Well tommorow(Sunday) Setanta are showing this match at 6.30

I personally actually can't wait. I think its going to be an amazing match.

I'm interested to see what Mr.Mooney looks like on the box.

Predictions?

I'm going to say 1-1, or Cork to beat Pat's and put Bohs in the driving seat.

I heard Jason Gavin was going to be playing...is this true? Massive asset for Pat's if true. I thought he was joining at the end of the season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Careful, you are not allowed create a thread for a domestic league. It upsets the barstooling Irish footballing public on boards.

Should be a good game, and i reckon that City will shade it 2-1. Quigley being suspended is a major plus for City. There are fears over the fitness of Dan Murray, Denis Behan and Dave Mooney though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Id settle for a draw, dont mind as long as Pats dont win, a few red cards would be good too - dont want injuries as I want both teams to have to play more games in Europe. Still love the 6 30 Sunday kick off times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Will Dudfield play? Cork are very short on players I think, right?

Dudfield has not signed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

gimmick wrote: »
    Dudfield has not signed yet.
    Should be a cracker. I'd have Cork to win. What are the bookies saying?
    Like Bohsman I'll be happy with a Cork win or a draw.

• Advertisement

Surely a City win is poor for Bohs? That would mean that the 2 horse race becomes three?

Pat's are closer to us. Cork win and we maintain our margin. We'll let you two fight it out for second. :P
    Saw Fahy at Dalymount last night. Must be worried...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Cork to win 4-1. Mooney hat trick.

Can see a real hammering for Pats tomorrow.:D

Cork win gives us a chance to go 8 points clear, if Pats and Cork stay in Europe it gives us a real chance to turn it into a one horse race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hopefully I ain't in work so I get to catch the 1st half, but I'll be defo missing the 2nd half as I'm off to see the new Batman movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Getting the butterflys now.

Plan is to out to Cross at 3. Watch the hurling in perfect time for the build up for Pats game.

Pats are missing Quigley removes a lot of their threat. If Fahy influence is reduced then the game is there for City to win.

Prediction 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2370255.smil

That's the game between them earlier in the season and I have to say it was one of the best adverts for the league(that I've seen anyway), if todays game lives up to that we're in for a treat .

They're both teams who go out and play good football, and I reckon today's game will be pretty decent at the very least .

There have actually been some great games on TV this season, Derry-Cork, Bohs-Pats - the Fahey wondergoal and Drogs Bohs all great matches aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

havent looked forward to a city match this much in ages.

everything about the game says draw to me, but i'm, hoping a bit of mooney magic will give us the win.

should be a good crowd there tonight too, decent weather (a 99 on the way to the cross, happy days), and hopefully a good game of football on top of it all.

moons first goalscorer 11/2 with paddy powers, anytime goalscorer is 2/1, good value imo

starting now, if you ''love football' so much then tune in....its on cable so no exuses lads.

Meh, Pat's hitting it long, and while Cork have played some ok stuff nothing has come of it.

Mooney is nowhere really.

Edit: Great play by City, Gamble going close.

Finishes 0-0.

Not much goal mouth activity until the last few minutes.

Fahy was decent when he actually got into the game, and if he had got on the ball more he would have done some damage.

Setanta gave Gamble MOM, I don't know about that, but he was neat and tidy in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Good game overall? Completely missed it, only in the door from work.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Pats came for a 0-0 and got it.

City missed John O'Flynn's pace and movement up front. Controlled the match for large periods. Then when we needed to freshen it up we either didn't make the substitution or didn't have the quality on the bench.

Still there were a few moments where a better pass or touch or pass would have broken the deadlock.

Great comeback by the hurlers against Clare, pity the soccer boys couldn't match them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Setanta gave Gamble MOM, I don't know about that, but he was neat and tidy in the middle.

Pat Sullivan was Beamish's MOTM, which I would agree with, he played really well tonight!
    Pats came for a 0-0 and got it.

City missed John O'Flynn's pace and movement up front. Controlled the match for large periods. Then when we needed to freshen it up we either didn't make the substitution or didn't have the quality on the bench.

Definitely missing Flynny. He took part in the pre match warm-ups and light training yesterday. Hopefully he will be back soon.

On the bench tonight were O' Connor, Lordan, McNulty, Ryan and Mulcahy....not the most impressive bench. I think it's the third game in a row where no subs were made. I'm disappointed that Billy Woods is not a choice for the bench, only playing with reserves and in the MSC. :(

• Advertisement

I thought Gamble had a poor game. Healy was MOTM by a mile for me. Though Dempsey was bloody good as well.

SPA were a disgrace tonight, didn't even try win that. That being said, City created very very little by way of chances, and I had the awful feeling SPA would get a goal on the counter.

Big trouble before the game also. A VERY undesirable few Dubs were there (note i did not say SPA fans). Kids basically. 5 arrests, and at least 3 knives found on them. That kind of sh*t no one wants.

On an unrelated note, I met the elusive, and at this stage erstwhile, Kdjac in the Horseshoe before the game.
    On the bench tonight were O' Connor, Lordan, McNulty, Ryan and Mulcahy....not the most impressive bench. I think it's the third game in a row where no subs were made. I'm disappointed that Billy Woods is not a choice for the bench, only playing with reserves and in the MSC. :(

5th people were saying after. Its a poor bench no doubt, but O Connor shuld have been given a run upfront. His pace would have frightened the SPA defence. With regard to Billy Woods, he is out in the cold for missing a reserves game a few weeks ago. Mathews should bury that grudge as he would defo be a good addition to the side, but then, if some rumours are to be belived, Mathews is somewhat afraid of Billys influence and does not want him doing what he did to Dolan a few years ago.

Was wondering why kdjac hadnt been on to post a picture of the bus they put in front of the goal... wasnt a great game but happy with the result.

And to put another slant on the Bohs Riga result, Elfsborg who destroyed Hibs only managed to beat Riga 1-0 over 2 legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

gimmick wrote: »
    5th people were saying after. Its a poor bench no doubt, but O Connor shuld have been given a run upfront. His pace would have frightened the SPA defence. With regard to Billy Woods, he is out in the cold for missing a reserves game a few weeks ago. Mathews should bury that grudge as he would defo be a good addition to the side, but then, if some rumours are to be belived, Mathews is somewhat afraid of Billys influence and does not want him doing what he did to Dolan a few years ago.

I agree that O' Connor should be given a chance or maybe even Tierney (who actually played center mid in college but up front for the reserves afaik) or Timmy Kiely (played on the right wing for the reserves although he prefers to play up front) could be given a chance, they both have played well for the reserves, but whether that can break into the first team is another thing.

Tbh, the sooner O' Flynn is back the better, he and Mooney have a better partnership than Mooney and Behan.

I just presumed Billy wasn't getting a chance because he didn't train with the squad on a regular basis because of having a full time job. If Mathews is keeping him out of the squad for what you mentioned above, it is a bit petty, and I hope it gets sorted as Billy played really well for City the last two seasons and can make an impact. I heard he was given the option to go on loan at Cobh but turned it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

bohsman wrote: »
    And to put another slant on the Bohs Riga result, Elfsborg who destroyed Hibs only managed to beat Riga 1-0 over 2 legs.

Jesus proves yous fcuked rightly up against them so:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

As a pats fan i agree Cork had most of the ball but apart from the chances in the last few minutes not much was created. Fats had our only real chance wehn he went thru on his own and dragged it wide.

We had a centre-half and a winger (Ryan Guy) playing upfront for us so im not suprised we didnt create a lot. I defy any team in this league to create many chances without Quigley,O'Neill and Kirby.

Its the one area of our team we lack real cover

hoppo254 wrote: »
    I defy any team in this league to create many chances without Quigley,O'Neill and Kirby.
    We're doing ok without them. :p

Very disappointing game, I thought, apart of course from the result.
    I suppose the penny had to drop with Pats about playing pretty but pointless patterns in front of other teams, but that was the ugliest football I've seen all season.
    BTW, how Denis Behan stayed on for that blatant and assault on Dessie Byrne I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

We really have no plan b other than passing to feet , we dont have the strike force to hit balls long or whip in high crosses (Jamie Harris doesnt count , he is a centre half)

Hopefully this will change by the end of the transfer window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

Poor. Not for the first time this season we were well on top but couldn't get the 3 points. Pats were poor, played for a draw and therefore they made sure a poor enough game ensued.
    Should of gone to Thurles for the hurling:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i enjoyed the game, we played some nice football, and Healy was immense. He's playing through an injury too.

That being said, we lacked a cutting edge up front, dave mooney was dropping too deep for the ball, denis behan looked completely disinterested up front. and we had frig all on the bench. as soon as flynny comes back the better.

except for a ten minute spell in the second half, spa looked completely disinterested, came down for a draw and thats what they got, so fair play to them.

not the worst result in the world, but then again i dont think we deserved to win. too many stray passes and poor first touches. and we badly, badly need a right winger. darren murphy isnt cutting it there, he's a fine player, but is completely lost. he needs to play through the middle, but when you've got gamble and healy in there it's always going to be hard to break in.

also, anyone actually see joe gamble take a shot that almost went on target? one for the scrap book that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pat's really need to buy a striker before the window shuts as competition for Quigley and O'Neil. Fitzpatrick just isn't good enough, as proven when as a striker, he starts on the bench while we have a centre back and a winger up front. Quigley and O'Neil are good strikers individually, but they don't always convince as a partnership. We need someone just to shake things up and get us the goals that won't have us hanging onto one nil leads in games where the opposition should be well beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

Roar wrote: »
    i enjoyed the game, we played some nice football, and Healy was immense. He's playing through an injury too.

That being said, we lacked a cutting edge up front, dave mooney was dropping too deep for the ball, denis behan looked completely disinterested up front. and we had frig all on the bench. as soon as flynny comes back the better.

except for a ten minute spell in the second half, spa looked completely disinterested, came down for a draw and thats what they got, so fair play to them.

not the worst result in the world, but then again i dont think we deserved to win. too many stray passes and poor first touches. and we badly, badly need a right winger. darren murphy isnt cutting it there, he's a fine player, but is completely lost. he needs to play through the middle, but when you've got gamble and healy in there it's always going to be hard to break in.

also, anyone actually see joe gamble take a shot that almost went on target? one for the scrap book that!

A shambles. at one stage in the first half Gamble started shouting '****ing run dennis'. He is the laziest player I have seen on that pitch in years

Advertisement