Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new WebComic, all comments welcome

Options
  • 26-07-2008 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi

started this Webcomic a few months ago. I update it every Friday morning, so you get a new double page spread every week. would appreciate any feedback on it, both on the comic and the display format.

many thanks

Maeve

www.flatmatesthecomic.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I actually really like this! Just read all the comics to date. Nice style, love that two of your main characters are dogs :p

Nothing to add really, looks great to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Yea these are really good you really have your style down i love the use of color and line in the background it looks really well done !
    edit

I was just looking at your website there and watched those animations the boy with the ever open jaw that was class :op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Maeve C

thanks, it's good to get a bit of feedback. I've been working on the style since the beginning(if you look at weeks 1 or 2 you can see how much it has changed) and part of publishing weekly was to force me to work on it on a regular basis. Thus developing both characters and style. Glad that you both like it and many thanks on the boy with the ever open jaw comments. Have my next short nearly finished, so hope to post that online in the next 2 months.

thanks again

maeve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 eoghand

Just read them and really enjoyed them, keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

Yeah, just managed to read all of them myself now. I really like them, the style is great and theres some very funny moments in there. Keep up the good work!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Hi Maeve

I really like your work, well done!

I think it would look better in a custom designed website, rather than a blog though... Just a thought!

What do you use to draw your comics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Maeve C

Hey Aaagh

I agree, I'm planning to rejig the design. At the moment, it's easy to use the format of Wordpress as it archives the comics for me automatically. But the design is not ideal and I'd prefer a double page spread. Just have to spend a few days on it some time soon, but thanks for the advice, I think it's spot on.

I draw the comic by hand and then put it into Photoshop and draw with a few different sizes of brushes at 30 and 60% opacity, so I have a soft line underneath the hard one. The blue is a layer on top of the line drawing set to 'Multiply' and then I rub out the bits I don't want. It's a bit like traditional print making techniques transferred to Photoshop.

Takes ages! But very rewarding.

maeve

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Patrick Brown

Blogs are actually the easiest way of doing webcomics. They have rss feeds, so if you find a comic you like, you can subscribe using Google Reader, Bloglines or something similar, set that as your homepage and never miss an update. You don't even have to remember what day each particular comic updates and look it up - it's there waiting for you. No idea how I survived without Google Reader, really. And Wordpress, which Maeve us using, is pretty versatitle and customisable - have a look at my site to see what can be done with a blog.

Anyway, Maeve, you're doing grand there so ye are. I've added you to my Google Reader subscriptions, and to the Irish Comics Wiki, where we're now up to 84 titles, including 31 webcomics, and 119 creators.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Very surprised, thought I was going to see some random crap - but that's actually quite funny, and very well presented :pac:

Advertisement