Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sally Gap 1st time - advice please

Options
  • 26-07-2008 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

Hi, would loved to have headed out on today spin, but family and beach won over.

I am aiming to head over the Sally Gap for 1st time tomorrow. Have never been that high on a bike previously. As a novice, what is the best approach.
    I know the road up to Enniskerry and Roundwood quite well (in a car). However, I cycle out to Blessington via Naas a reasonable amount of times.

For first time attempt, what are the "easiest" routes for me. thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There are four ways up. The easiest side is probably from Laragh, from the south. It's one long drag really. From the west, you can go via Kilbride, off the Blessington Road. Its fine for most of the way, but does get quite steep right at the end. The northern side, from Glencree has one tough section for about a kilometre or two as you skirt round the lake, but the rest of it is a cakewalk. Coming from the east is very straightforward, but you have to go over the side of Djouce first and that's a stiff enough climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

ROK_ON- I'd be happy to head out with you. I'm absolutely fecked from today so would be taking it very easy, I'd stick with you on the ascent and give you encouragement :D. We generally head out via Eniskerry and Glencree via the Wicklow 200 route. I think this probably is the easiest way up- it's possible to do a more direct route up Stocking Lane but I think this involves more climbing (you have to go up to 500m and then back down to 360m or so before the final ascent.) For the return, you have the option of heading towards Blessington and the N81 which is pretty much steady downhill all the way back to Dublin.

Where are you starting from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

blorg wrote: »
    ROK_ON- I'd be happy to head out with you. I'm absolutely fecked from today so would be taking it very easy, I'd stick with you on the ascent and give you encouragement :D. We generally head out via Eniskerry and Glencree via the Wicklow 200 route. I think this probably is the easiest way up- it's possible to do a more direct route up Stocking Lane but I think this involves more climbing (you have to go up to 500m and then back down to 360m or so before the final ascent.) For the return, you have the option of heading towards Blessington and the N81 which is pretty much steady downhill all the way back to Dublin.

Where are you starting from?

Thats very nice of you. From what you two guys have said, the Enniskerry/Glenkerry route seems like a good first attempt.
    I am aiming to start from Phoenix Pk at 8 if possible. If too early, no worries. I have to be back by early afternoon, so necessity for an early start. I would like to finish downhill via Blessington, then on to Naas.

Do you think you could aim to pick me up in Ranelagh around 9am? Would that be too late for you? Just had a plot on Google Maps and it's 77km from my place back to the Park- this would see you back to the Park at 14:00 assuming an average of 15km/h (and I'd say you will do it faster.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Do you think you could aim to pick me up in Ranelagh around 9am? Would that be too late for you? Just had a plot on Google Maps and it's 77km from my place back to the Park- this would see you back to the Park at 14:00 assuming an average of 15km/h (and I'd say you will do it faster.)

Cool. Where in Ranelagh?

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    Cool. Where in Ranelagh?
    Top secret. Sending you a PM.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ummm, can you PM this super secret location as well. Might join you for a bit if I'm up early enough in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

I'd be into a cycling rendez vous in the morning too. Where is the meeting point ?
    Do I need to learn a secret hand shake?

Church on Sandford Road, 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Church on Sandford Road, 9am.

see you there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement