Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    that female barrister defending Brendan is a bad actress. Smug and overbearing.

the solicitor seems to have lost his voice.

Heather is hot.

I think her hairstyle is awful, makes her look a bit chubby :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Christy's testimony gave me goosebumps tonight... great acting there...

He was terrific, wasn't he?

A big story like this really reveals who is good and who isn't up to it. Bob nd Christy are the stand-outs so far. Carol is doing a nice job in a supporting role.

On the other side, Renee is unwatchable, and Heather is just a collection of mannerisms. Sarah is the opposite of Carol. Despite having only a tiny supporting role, she is turning in a performance so bad I have to watch it through my fingers. Why does she put on that childish voice all the time? It's infuriating.

I can't make up my mind about Brendan. He is also annoying to watch, but maybe he should be. As a character, he is petulant and self-righteous, and you'd have to say the actor is doing a good job in getting those things across. Sometimes wanting to smack someone is a pretty good review.

He was terrific, wasn't he?

A big story like this really reveals who is good and who isn't up to it. Bob nd Christy are the stand-outs so far. Carol is doing a nice job in a supporting role.

On the other side, Renee is unwatchable, and Heather is just a collection of mannerisms. Sarah is the opposite of Carol. Despite having only a tiny supporting role, she is turning in a performance so bad I have to watch it through my fingers. Why does she put on that childish voice all the time? It's infuriating.

I can't make up my mind about Brendan. He is also annoying to watch, but maybe he should be. As a character, he is petulant and self-righteous, and you'd have to say the actor is doing a good job in getting those things across. Sometimes wanting to smack someone is a pretty good review.

Brendan is the same in every scene, he raises his voice, starts an argument, creates a tantrum and leaves the room. Repeat that x100000000000 it is boring to watch.

Sarah is so annoying, it is unreal. Give me Barry any day, she comes across so childish and immature.

Christy made me really emotional and listening to him, he conveyed what it was really like to watch someone die in front of your eyes and what it was like to lose a son. Really sad to watch.

Bob was also brilliant but then again, he always is and Carol had a great input last night. Still missing Louie though and bring back Jo & Dermot :(

angel01 wrote: »
    Bob was also brilliant but then again, he always is and Carol had a great input last night. Still missing Louie though and bring back Jo & Dermot :(

Yes, I've been missing Dermot too. He was particularly good the last time he was in. Does he never get more than two weeks at a time? I would also like to see a bit more action in the triangle of Yvonne, Paul and Louie.

Does anyone else think it has too many characters? We're always complaining about people disappearing for long periods. Maybe if they had fewer people on the list, they wouldn't have to rotate them quite so much.

Yes, I've been missing Dermot too. He was particularly good the last time he was in. Does he never get more than two weeks at a time? I would also like to see a bit more action in the triangle of Yvonne, Paul and Louie.

Does anyone else think it has too many characters? We're always complaining about people disappearing for long periods. Maybe if they had fewer people on the list, they wouldn't have to rotate them quite so much.

It can depend really, I watch Neighbours and I am sick of seeing the same people as they have a small cast. Most soaps suffer the same fate as Fair City. In Eastenders for instance, Bianca, Zainab, Whitney haven't featured so much lately. In a soap, you usually get a major big story and they run with it. Louie, Connie, Yvonne, Bela, Suzanne have all featured for quite a long time and they probably could do with the break. Its the nature of a soap, you can't be guaranteed to feature all the time. People would get bored of you. [though this somehow does not appear to affect the gruesome twosome (paul & niamh) aargh]

Also on Eastenders, they now have a rule of how many characters can have a speaking part per episode, I never want Fair City to get that bad :( I also presume as the FC actors/actresses do not earn as much as their UK counterparts, they will also have other projects e.g. theatre work for instance to balance with.

• Advertisement

It can depend really, I watch Neighbours and I am sick of seeing the same people as they have a small cast. Most soaps suffer the same fate as Fair City. In Eastenders for instance, Bianca, Zainab, Whitney haven't featured so much lately. In a soap, you usually get a major big story and they run with it. Louie, Connie, Yvonne, Bela, Suzanne have all featured for quite a long time and they probably could do with the break. Its the nature of a soap, you can't be guaranteed to feature all the time. People would get bored of you.

Fair points. I would still like to see a few more people leave, however. And not just the bad actors. It makes for exciting stories when proper characters get the boot.

I know you liked Annette, but the story she had this year was her best ever, and that's really only possible if people leave. The crash, the affair with Seamus, the trip to rehab, and the surprise new husband - that was all building up to her death. I think when they decide to kill someone they throw everything at them, and give them a good solid three months of drama.

That's assuming they can act, of course. Some people should just quietly move to London and never come back.

Fair points. I would still like to see a few more people leave, however. And not just the bad actors. It makes for exciting stories when proper characters get the boot.

I know you liked Annette, but the story she had this year was her best ever, and that's really only possible if people leave. The crash, the affair with Seamus, the trip to rehab, and the surprise new husband - that was all building up to her death. I think when they decide to kill someone they throw everything at them, and give them a good solid three months of drama.

That's assuming they can act, of course. Some people should just quietly move to London and never come back.

I know but I still miss Annette :( I can't bring myself to delete her last episode from the UPC DVR :(:( I know she had an amazing year of drama but I wish she was still here. I wanted her to get back with Seamus.

To be honest, there isn't many if any I would actually like to see go.. ok at a push let me see... Sarah, Robert, Kylie erm.....:o That's it. I don't want to see anyone go.. I know.. I would be useless as the producer of the show. I wouldn't axe many people, the cast would all love me and Louie would never be wearing any shirts, seeing as he did so well previously ;):D

Out of interest, who are the ones you would like to see go?

Out of interest, who are the ones you would like to see go?

Let's just drive a flaming petrol tanker into McCoys and see who survives.... No, seriously, I think the cast is generally very good. There are a few characters who just don't seem to have much to do.

You mentioned two of them: Kylie and Sarah. Others, for me, would include the following.

Seamus: a decent actor, but he's not going to have much point now that Annette is gone. He only became interesting when he first started going out with her. They could bring back Angela, but I can't see the point of that. She's not particularly interesting either.

Barry: Similar situation. They did their best to make him all exciting and dynamic with the journalism angle, but I don't buy it. He's still painfully earnest and a bit drippy.

In fact, they should just close down the newspaper. Local papers are going out of business all over the world. Let Sarah emigrate, and take Duncan and Barry with her.

I could also do without Connie, Cleo, Dolores, Malachy, Keith, Charlie, Renee, Heather, Doug's da, and probably a few more. Some of them have been great in the past, but they all fail the preview test for me. If I see their picture in the weekly preview, am I excited about what's coming up?

Let's just drive a flaming petrol tanker into McCoys and see who survives.... No, seriously, I think the cast is generally very good. There are a few characters who just don't seem to have much to do.

You mentioned two of them: Kylie and Sarah. Others, for me, would include the following.

Seamus: a decent actor, but he's not going to have much point now that Annette is gone. He only became interesting when he first started going out with her. They could bring back Angela, but I can't see the point of that. She's not particularly interesting either.

Barry: Similar situation. They did their best to make him all exciting and dynamic with the journalism angle, but I don't buy it. He's still painfully earnest and a bit drippy.

In fact, they should just close down the newspaper. Local papers are going out of business all over the world. Let Sarah emigrate, and take Duncan and Barry with her.

I could also do without Connie, Cleo, Dolores, Malachy, Keith, Charlie, Renee, Heather, Doug's da, and probably a few more. Some of them have been great in the past, but they all fail the preview test for me. If I see their picture in the weekly preview, am I excited about what's coming up?

Sorry is there anyone in the cast you actually like :eek:

I love Seamus and Barry, there is so much they can do with both of them. They have a lot of stories they could develop there, they could also now have a decent friendship and bond from what happened to Annette.

I like Connie, Cleo, Dolores, Malachy, Keith, Charlie, Renee, not so much Heather, Doug and his da.. honestly, I don't know why you watch because you seem to hate 3/4 off the cast.

Sarah & Orla will leave for a few months next year anyway, Heather will probably go as she looks pregnant to me.

Most of those characters you mention are integral to Fair City. Charlie has been in it near to the start and he brings back memories of how it used to be with paddy etc..

Oh yes close the paper, we may as well close the Northside & Southside people in reality then... :eek: I love all those characters you basically mentioned and if that happened, we would have killed Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Seeing as we're on the topic of characters we like and don't like at the moment, here's my two cents:

Characters that have stood out and I've really liked recently:

Christy
    Bob
    Deegan
    Carol
    Ray
    Orla
    Cass
    Keith
    Eileen
    Seamus
    Bela
    Dermot
    Paul
    Niamh

Characters I really don't like at all:
    Sarah
    Heather
    Sean
    Rachel
    Tracey

Characters I'm not mad about, but would be grand if they didn't feature heavily in the show:
    Charlie
    Malachy
    Ian
    Brendan
    Dolores

Characters I'd like to see more of:
    Cleo
    Robert
    Ali
    Leo
    Duncan
    Damien

• Advertisement

I like Connie, Cleo, Dolores, Malachy, Keith, Charlie, Renee, not so much Heather, Doug and his da.. honestly, I don't know why you watch because you seem to hate 3/4 off the cast.

I don't hate them, but there's a bunch of characters who just don't interest me very much. There's also plenty I'd like to see more of.

Bob, Zumo and Zumo's granny had the beginnings of a great story a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully that will be picked up after the trial. Bob working in the pub also brings him into contact with Christy and Carol and Tracy (hmm, Bob and Tracy....) These are all good actors, with a bit of range, and characters with a lot of possibilities.

Paul, Niamh, Yvonne and Louie are all good actors, and that baby story will get better and better. That also affects Bela, who is great, and Suzanne and Damien, who are quality actors but seriously underused. (Probably because she left to have a baby, in fairness.) Cass and Rachel and Sean and Ray are all in that area too.

Robert is a great character. If Cleo finds a third facial expression to add to the two in her repertoire, that could be a classic long-term romance. Robert's friendship with Dean is the funniest thing in the programme, and obviously Leo and Troy are also brilliant.

Add John, Ian, the female Garda, Dermot, Jo, Orla and and few others and there are more than enough people to keep a soap going.

Anyone have any idea as to how many characters are currently still in the show?
    Maybe we should make a big list of characters that haven't been written out of the show yet.

Anyone have any idea as to how many characters are currently still in the show?
    Maybe we should make a big list of characters that haven't been written out of the show yet.

Good idea. There's 61 on the website, but I'm sure that's not complete. Also some of them are dead or emigrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

lol, what's the story with the solicitor's voice? Is he a mate of Bill's or something??? :D

Good idea. There's 61 on the website, but I'm sure that's not complete. Also some of them are dead or emigrated.

I'd say the website is well off... I'll see what I can come up with, but I'm sure I'll end up leaving loads of people out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

I can only come up with 52

I don't hate them, but there's a bunch of characters who just don't interest me very much. There's also plenty I'd like to see more of.

Bob, Zumo and Zumo's granny had the beginnings of a great story a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully that will be picked up after the trial. Bob working in the pub also brings him into contact with Christy and Carol and Tracy (hmm, Bob and Tracy....) These are all good actors, with a bit of range, and characters with a lot of possibilities.

Paul, Niamh, Yvonne and Louie are all good actors, and that baby story will get better and better. That also affects Bela, who is great, and Suzanne and Damien, who are quality actors but seriously underused. (Probably because she left to have a baby, in fairness.) Cass and Rachel and Sean and Ray are all in that area too.

Robert is a great character. If Cleo finds a third facial expression to add to the two in her repertoire, that could be a classic long-term romance. Robert's friendship with Dean is the funniest thing in the programme, and obviously Leo and Troy are also brilliant.

Add John, Ian, the female Garda, Dermot, Jo, Orla and and few others and there are more than enough people to keep a soap going.

I don't like Robert, I don't find him funny either. I like Cleo when she is with Dolores. I enjoy watching Malachy, he can be quite funny with Christy, Carol, Dolores and of course Eileen. Troy left? so I doubt he will be back.

I love most if not all (bar one or two) in fair city and there is noone that I want to see killed off, after all what happened to Annette, nearly finished me off :(:(

Dolores will be used more when her son comes back and Lara may even come back and that would make things interesting with baby Jane. I adore Zumo and Eileen and I will not have a word said against them..

Good job you said you liked Louie, otherwise.. I won't say what I would do :D:D

Anyway why do we have to go around axing people, can we not just enjoy the bloody soap without wanting to get rid of characters. I like Fair City, just the way it is. It shows community life, fun, arguments, trials, upset, good times, bad times and it is enjoyable to watch.. Sorry if that isn't agreeable to most people :)

Current Characters (LET ME KNOW IF I LEAVE ANYONE OUT)

Adam
    Ali
    Angela
    Anthony
    Art
    Barry
    Bela
    Benjamin
    Bob
    Brendan
    Carol
    Cass
    Charlie
    Christy
    Cleo
    Connie
    Damien
    Dean
    Dermot
    Deegan
    Dolores
    Doug
    Duncan
    Eileen
    Eleanor
    Farrell
    Felix
    Heather
    Ian
    Jane
    Jennifer
    Jo
    Keith
    Kylie
    Leo
    Lorcan Jr.
    Louie
    Malachy
    Mark
    Niamh
    Oisin
    Orla
    Paul
    Pete
    Rachel
    Ray
    Renee
    Rita
    Robert
    Sarah
    Seamus
    Sean
    Suzanne
    TJ
    Tracey
    Una
    Yvonne
    Zumo

Total Current Characters: 58

out of the below list, oisin (appears on holidays time) TJ may appear more often now Charlie is back, Una is coming back, you may count Farrell (part time appearances) and Anthony, Mark is in it from time to time.. Pete & Adam haven't featured for a while but still are in it I think.

Angela might be around as well sometimes. Maureen is gone.

• Advertisement

you forgot ANGELA!!! Kylie is still in it too, she is back next week, with tracey

Turlough, Maureen, Troy are all gone, I really would discount the kids, jane, benjamin, eleanor etc they don't really do much

People I can't remember or amn't sure whether they're still in it or not:

The ones from that list who are definitely still in it are Dean, Kylie, Mark, and Oisin. Well, I'm guessing a bit with the last three, but I presume they would have to mention if they were gone, rather than suddenly have them disappear. Dominic is supposed to come back at some stage, and I think I read an interview with Una saying she would be back after the baby, but who knows.

The actress who plays Robin definitely left, to be a writer, so you can knock her off the list unless they cast someone new. I think you can also add Father Art and maybe the other priest whose name I don't know.

you forgot ANGELA!!! Kylie is still in it too, she is back next week, with tracey

Turlough, Maureen, Troy are all gone, I really would discount the kids, jane, benjamin, eleanor etc they don't really do much

Discount Eleanor :eek: no way! She stole the show the other night.

Epicurus wrote: »
    Discount Eleanor :eek: no way! She stole the show the other night.

She did a good performance but from what I read
    they all leave when brendan does a runner

Ok, I updated the list with what you guys said... keeping the kids in though Angel - I think they count...
    Still need confirmation on Cliodhna and Gloria (I have no idea who they are).
    I put Rita in for the main cast even though I know she's not actually appearing in it... but the character is still there...
    And I put Una in even though she isn't back yet.
    Anyone know the name of the "other priest" that Meeja mentioned?
    Also, should we add Stephen to the list?

She did a good performance but from what I read
    they all leave when brendan does a runner

Thats a shame; Susie Power (Eleanor) is one of their future stars with star quality http://www.rte.ie/tv/faircity/2009/0706/wcopa2009.html

Ok, I updated the list with what you guys said... keeping the kids in though Angel - I think they count...
    Still need confirmation on Cliodhna and Gloria (I have no idea who they are).
    I put Rita in for the main cast even though I know she's not actually appearing in it... but the character is still there...
    And I put Una in even though she isn't back yet.
    Anyone know the name of the "other priest" that Meeja mentioned?
    Also, should we add Stephen to the list?

Gloria is Keiths and Ringos daughter. She wont be back. Stephen...you're putting in every bit of an extra then, like whats the name of the one working in Vinos. Since Ringo isnt coming back, i doubt Cliodhna will be back either.

Epicurus wrote: »
    Gloria is Keiths and Ringos daughter. She wont be back. Stephen...you're putting in every bit of an extra then, like whats the name of the one working in Vinos. Since Ringo isnt coming back, i doubt Cliodhna will be back either.

Was only joking about Stephen.
    Keith and Ringo's daughter? That makes no sense.
    Ok with that so the total I got was 58... I actually don't know soe of those characters, but you guys told me they should be added, so I'm assuming it's right. We should keep updating that list as people leave and arrive and whatnot.

Keith and Ringo's daughter? That makes no sense.

Meant Keith or Ringos daughter. We never found out who the father was. I cant remember who the mother was.

• Advertisement

Current Characters:

Adam
    Ali
    Angela
    Anthony
    Art
    Barry
    Bela
    Benjamin
    Bob