Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

angel01 wrote: »
    Cannot agree with that. I felt Glenroe was very poor and quite laughable at times. Glad it was axed.

Can i take it that you are from a city or large town.

They're such different shows it's hard to compare them, but I think you have a point. Glenroe got worse and worse for so long that it's easy to forget how good it was at the start. There was realistic poverty in Miley and Dinny's circumstances, and a slow Pinteresque comedy to the scripts that Fair City has never matched.

On the other hand, that was twenty years ago. God knows how much my memory of it is the glossy hindsight version. I suppose all you can ask of a soap is whether it is improving or getting worse, and Fair City is definitely improving year on year.

(And I doubt the Fair City producers are going to be handing scripts back to the writers and saying, "This is great, Tim, but could you make the next draft a bit slower and more Pinteresque?")

After Wesley Burrows stopped writing Glenroe it began to die. He knew how country people lived and how to depict them. I feel that those that came after him were not from the country or were people that were a bit uppidy, and did not know how those in the country really lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Deise Tom wrote: »
    After Wesley Burrows stopped writing Glenroe it began to die. He knew how country people lived and how to depict them. I feel that those that came after him were not from the country or were people that were a bit uppidy, and did not know how those in the country really lived.

Burrowes was something special, alright. He is a giant of Irish culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Anyone seen the new FC DVD yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Can i take it that you are from a city or large town.

Yes I am from Dublin.

• Advertisement

Shakyfan wrote: »

No, I hope to get it for Christmas :)

Yes but have not looked at it yet

angel01 wrote: »
    Yes I am from Dublin.

Was thinking, I dont think people living in the cities or large towns never got to fully understand Glenroe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

CiaranK wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome!! I forgot about Hilda, She was really good when 'ominic Got Violent' Storyline.

FC gets slagged a lot for the acting, but they have some decent talent at the moment. Hilda Fay (Tracey) is top of the pile though. Her scene last night where she threw the €50 back in Dean's face was a case in point, fantastic actor.

RGDATA! wrote: »
    FC gets slagged a lot for the acting, but they have some decent talent at the moment. Hilda Fay (Tracey) is top of the pile though. Her scene last night where she threw the €50 back in Dean's face was a case in point, fantastic actor.

I agree. It was a hell of a moment - Dean slapping down a fifty-quid note to buy off his mistress, the former prostitute. The script and the direction undersold it a bit. It really should have been a huge emotional scene. But her reaction was great.

Damien was excellent again. I really like that debt collector story. Is it too contrived if he ends up havign to strong-arm Tracey for the gas bill? I presume Bord Gais don't use private debt collection agencies, but the stories fit together suspiciously well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Yes its ok its goes through FC from 1989 to 2009 and shows the big storylines of these years with some of the cast also talking

It was strange seeing Paul with "some" hair :D

Niamh looks better now than she did when she first started and the actress who plays Carol sounds so posh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Hoping to get it for xmas also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

0002ce6b-545.jpg

Tuesday December 8th

There's an unexpected visitor at Molloys. What will Dolores do?
    Tracey refuses Kylie's offer.
    Malachy gets a notion into his head and he won't let go of it.

0002ce71-545.jpg

Wednesday December 9th

Tracey is less than enthused by Kylie's birthday plans.
    Dolores threatens Lara with the law, if she won't leave her alone.
    Adam puts the pressure on Pete.

0002ce90-545.jpg

Thursday Decmeber 10th

Dean's plan backfires on him.
    Malachy has some words of warning for Lara. Will she pay attention to him?
    Charlie is unimpressed by Jo's manners.

0002ce74-545.jpg

Sunday December 13th

Kylie gets a shock, and Dean doesn't handle it well.
    Adam has to weigh up his options.
    Damien's hard work finally pays off.

Epicurus wrote: »
    0002ce6b-545.jpg

I know it adds to the realism and that but sometimes it can go overboard. For the 8th December, Dolores (What is she wearing) has a lot of Christmas cards.

I know it adds to the realism and that but sometimes it can go overboard. For the 8th December, Dolores (What is she wearing) has a lot of Christmas cards.

She also has a lot of bedrooms in the house, unless herself and malachy are sharing and we know nothing about it yet. Or does he share with Ursula or Chleo.

She also has a lot of bedrooms in the house, unless herself and malachy are sharing and we know nothing about it yet. Or does he share with Ursula or Chleo.

She has three bedrooms; Urusla is gone; Malachy is in her old room; they all have their own. Nothing weird about that. Who will have to leave when
    Wayne
    comes back. Malachy i'd presume

She has three bedrooms; Urusla is gone; Malachy is in her old room; they all have their own. Nothing weird about that. Who will have to leave when
    Wayne
    comes back. Malachy i'd presume

I cant see where you would get three rooms in a house like that up stairs, plus a bathroom. I assume they have one. Down stairs you have two small rooms rooms and you would expect up stairs to be roughly the same size.

I suppose you could argue away whats there and whats not there as its only make belief, but common sense should also pervail. It happens in all the soaps.

My Mum has about 40 cards so far :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

JP Liz wrote: »
    Yes its ok its goes through FC from 1989 to 2009 and shows the big storylines of these years with some of the cast also talking

It was strange seeing Paul with "some" hair :D

Niamh looks better now than she did when she first started and the actress who plays Carol sounds so posh

The only Fair City DVDs that should be released are season sets starting from 1989. But that will never happen cause RTE only pay lip service to their archive.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    The only Fair City DVDs that should be released are season sets starting from 1989. But that will never happen cause RTE only pay lip service to their archive.

All the soaps when they look back on past shows tend to do so for the last ten years. Most people would prefer to see the older eposides as we naturally tend to forget. I know I did not watch Fair City as much as i do now when it started and would like to see whatb happened when it started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I'm struggling believing that Tracey hasn't mentioned her "love life" to Carol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think all soaps should release dvd box sets starting from the very start of that show... Personally I'd love to see the early days of Bracken, Glenroe, Ros na Run, Fair City, Brookside, Home and Away and Neighbours... (the latter two of these have gone to sh*t in the last few years, but the early days were awesome)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I think all soaps should release dvd box sets starting from the very start of that show... Personally I'd love to see the early days of Bracken, Glenroe, Ros na Run, Fair City, Brookside, Home and Away and Neighbours... (the latter two of these have gone to sh*t in the last few years, but the early days were awesome)...

Bracken would be easy to do seeing as it's only 12 episodes.

If Glenroe was made by ITV it would probably be fully released by now. By Network. www.networkdvd.net

Coronation Street has three box sets - 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. 80 episodes per set - eight from each year.
    http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info.php?products_id=270
    http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info.php?products_id=96
    http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info.php?products_id=157

And Crossroads - new mega set out. Great soap.
    http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info.php?products_id=1011

deelite wrote: »
    I'm struggling believing that Tracey hasn't mentioned her "love life" to Carol.

I predict that with her money problems of late, it wont be long till she returns to old ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Carrie21

98333.jpg

Guys, I have only missed one episode, and it looks like Avi’s story is progressing. What did I miss???

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Keep it friendly, dopes.

Interesting quasi-spoiler on the Afternoon Show yesterday. They said that Dean will be prevented from breaking up with Kylie by
    a death in her family. They gave very strong hints that it is Dominic, saying that it was someone we had seen giving Tracey a hard time. I don't think that fits for anyone else.
    It's a pity about the character. He had a lot of good stories. I have mixed feelings about the actor. He did look genuinely scary, but he did an awful lot of huffing and eye-rolling too.

Carrie21 wrote: »
    98333.jpg
    Guys, I have only missed one episode, and it looks like Avi’s story is progressing. What did I miss???

You haven't missed anything, as far as I know. I don't think Avi has been in it for a while. I'm open to correction, but I think the last time we saw him was when he went into business with Cass doing small electrical repairs.

I'm sure he'll be back, given the splash they made about him on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Hi Guys! I missed a huge chunk of Fair City a while back, and when I was watching it the last night, Suzanne said something about a baby! Are her and Damien expecting a baby?

• Advertisement

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Hi Guys! I missed a huge chunk of Fair City a while back, and when I was watching it the last night, Suzanne said something about a baby! Are her and Damien expecting a baby?

No, Suzanne wants a baby and keeps bullying Damien to give her a child.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement