Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I am not saying to get rid of them. Maybe just suggesting that the script writers given them different jobs.

I can't see Detective John Deegan as a florist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

John Deegan, Florist sounds like a good spin-off to me. Fired from the police force for refusing to take a bribe (from Bob, probably), John Deegan takes over his parents' florists shop in Clondalkin. But the crimes keep on happening. Armed only with cunning and secaturs, he strives to clean up the area in a series of thrilling 50-minute escapades.

What about it, RTE? Me and Epicurus could have the pilot script on your desk by Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am not saying to get rid of them. Maybe just suggesting that the script writers given them different jobs.

So what job would you have a detective doing? Working in a charity shop, or serving burgers in The Hungry Pig or even pull a few pints in McCoys?? :D:D

It is better to have a police presence in these soaps than none at all :)

John Deegan, Florist sounds like a good spin-off to me. Fired from the police force for refusing to take a bribe (from Bob, probably), John Deegan takes over his parents' florists shop in Clondalkin. But the crimes keep on happening. Armed only with cunning and secaturs, he strives to clean up the area in a series of thrilling 50-minute escapades.

What about it, RTE? Me and Epicurus could have the pilot script on your desk by Friday.

PMSL, I am laughing away here. :D:D:D

angel01 wrote: »
    PMSL, I am laughing away here. :D:D:D

If you think that's good, just watch this space. I'm in negotiations with Epicurus's agent for the film rights to Ray O'Connell, Northside Gigolo. We already have Meryl Streep on board, but Megan Fox is a bit touchy about the machine-oil sequence.

• Advertisement

I've enjoyed Fair City this year; but one aspect annoyed me.

The sex books scandal finished badly. All we saw was Keith and Ray dumpng them in some shopping trolley in the canal. Hardly the best message to be giving out to be environmentally friendly.

Meeja..my agent is tough. Megan Fox or its off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I would love to see Farrah (Christy and Renne's daughter) back in Carrigstown - she was a lovely character - she could hook up with Louie.

deelite wrote: »
    I would love to see Farrah (Christy and Renne's daughter) back in Carrigstown - she was a lovely character - she could hook up with Louie.

It would be good to have her back. I would like to see some of Bela's kids come back too.
    Epicurus wrote: »
    I've enjoyed Fair City this year; but one aspect annoyed me.

The sex books scandal finished badly. All we saw was Keith and Ray dumpng them in some shopping trolley in the canal. Hardly the best message to be giving out to be environmentally friendly.

Meeja..my agent is tough. Megan Fox or its off.

That was such a far fetched storyline, made me laugh though. I loved Jo's stance in all that storyline!

:D:D
    If you think that's good, just watch this space. I'm in negotiations with Epicurus's agent for the film rights to Ray O'Connell, Northside Gigolo. We already have Meryl Streep on board, but Megan Fox is a bit touchy about the machine-oil sequence.

haha :D

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'd actually love to see this come to pass. I could help with the script, once I've written my sitcom for Channel 4 (can't have too many script ideas in my head at once). Anyone up for seriously writing a pilot for this. I think it would be brilliant. Have RTÉ actually ever had a proper detective series. It could be the Irish version of Monk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

I love the show! :):)

• Advertisement

I'd actually love to see this come to pass. I could help with the script, once I've written my sitcom for Channel 4 (can't have too many script ideas in my head at once). Anyone up for seriously writing a pilot for this. I think it would be brilliant. Have RTÉ actually ever had a proper detective series. It could be the Irish version of Monk.

Maybe we should aim for a series of comedy spin-offs. Six or seven one-off shows, featuring Fair City characters in strange new settings. Who wouldn't watch Leo Dowling as a personal groomer for pets, trying to marry a rich poodle-owning widow? Or a prison sitcom with Bob and Zumo forced to share a cell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Alice1

Deegan as a florist? Where did that come from? You know, I worry about you lot at times ...

Leo as a pet groomer - now that is genius! I see Carol doing well as a dental hygienist "woulja open yer feckin' mouth, wouldja?" "How am I s'posed to clean yer molars if ya won't open yer mouth?"

Alice1 wrote: »
    Deegan as a florist? Where did that come from? You know, I worry about you lot at times ...

Ah but think of all the flowers he'll be able to give you Alice :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

So what job would you have a detective doing? Working in a charity shop, or serving burgers in The Hungry Pig or even pull a few pints in McCoys?? :D:D

It is better to have a police presence in these soaps than none at all :)

There is plenty of jobs characters could be doing rather than add to the amount of cops in the show or the resturaunt business as is happening lately.

There is plenty of jobs characters could be doing rather than add to the amount of cops in the show or the resturaunt business as is happening lately.

I think what probably happens is that the writers introduce a new character to back up the existing people, and they want to give them some connection. Usually it's family, but they can't have new relatives popping up all over the place. That would rule out love stories, for one thing (except for Heather). But it does mean you go through periods of having hordes of one profession, as you say.

I thought Garda Conway was brought in so that JD could fall in love with her, possibly in some kind of steamy triangle with Alice.

Not liking Carol's hair colour :eek:

Do tell me what they could be doing? enlighten me :D

We did have a former nun before and a former priest and then a parish priest, I don't see you complaining about that :D

I like Wayne :D Hope he sticks around! though he has ears like an elf :eek:

Carols reaction to Deans surprise at Traceys was brilliant. Laughing away here at it. Carol should set Tracey up with Stephen; they looked good together there behind the bar.

Solution to Waynes problem; bunk in with Malachy.

• Advertisement

Do tell me what they could be doing? enlighten me :D

We did have a former nun before and a former priest and then a parish priest, I don't see you complaining about that :D

Be an Ambulance driver, Work in the Fire Brigade, A nurse, A radio DJ/Presenter.

I like Wayne :D Hope he sticks around!

I think bringing Wayne back may be the best thing they've done all year. He's the original actor, which is great. He will really shake up things in the Dolores household. She is a good character, and so is Malachy, but I don't think they bring out the best in each other.

It's been a very good year all over, hasn't it? This time last year we were building up to Niamh and Gina's weddings. Since then we've had Annette and Bill, Cass, Robert, Yvonne and Connie, Bob and Turlough, Carol and Christy, and lots of other stuff that I'm forgetting. Next year is starting strong with Louie versus Paul and Niamh and Yvonne. (I think Connie will side with Louie, and maybe even end up with him and the baby, but that's another matter.) Damien's story could go anywhere, and there's obviously a lot more to come from Bob and Christy.

Captain Neg, I didn't answer your soap poll in the other thread, because I only have time to watch FC these days. But it's a good idea, so I'm stealing it for my review of the year.

Best Actor:

Bob, hands down. (Why does that make me think of Leo Dowling?) Honourable mention for Christy, who was funny for most of the year and really moving in the court scenes.

Best Actress:

Tracey. The character isn't coming well out of the current story, but the actress still brings complete believability to everything she does. Sometimes you can actually see what she's thinking.

Best Newcomer:

Robert. One of the most interesting characters in soap, and the actor has been great from the first moment. I particularly like the way he can go from a heavy scene to a funny one and do justice to both.

Biggest Loss:

Troy. He was sarky and fun, and I thought there was a lot more to be explored in his relationship with Leo.

Best Serious Stories:

The whole Louie/Paul/Niamh/baby/Connie mess clearly still has a long way to go. However, I'm going to go for Turlough and Bob as the story with everything. Religion, crime, money, family betrayal, adultery, a coma, a seance, and a terrific performance from another candidate for both best newcomer and biggest loss. Best of all, it seemed to wake the writers up to the genius of Bob. Twelve months ago he was just Mr Smarmy. Now he is a complex character, and they are getting great work out of a brilliant serious and comic actor.

Best Comic Stories:

Slim pickings here. The Madonna books, I guess, but as someone pointed out, it didn't really go anywhere. It should have reunited Ray and Keith as a comic twosome, but they blew it.

The WTF Award:

Keith Duffy. He's in for no reason, he's gone for no reason, and in between the two he had a girlfriend, a daughter, an ex-wife, a drum kit, and a weird urge to live in Africa. For no reason.

More of in 2010:

Comedy, PLEASE! Robert, Dermot and Jo, Cass, Keith and Ray, Doug, Carol and Christy, Duncan, Leo, Orla... There is plenty of potential here, but they need the stories. And I'm not the only ****er in Ireland who needs a laugh.

Less of in 2010:

It pains me to say it, because I think they are very talented actors. But I agree with most of the people here that we have seen an abundance of Paul and Niamh. When this baby story is over, they should fade gracefully into the background for a while.

Overall:

A great year. I'm glad it's winning the ratings war, and I'm delighted people are talking about it with more respect.

Longest Post:

This one. Apologies for that. I got my Christmas holidays today, and the review-of-the-year hormones just kicked in.

I think bringing Wayne back may be the best thing they've done all year. He's the original actor, which is great. He will really shake up things in the Dolores household. She is a good character, and so is Malachy, but I don't think they bring out the best in each other.

It's been a very good year all over, hasn't it? This time last year we were building up to Niamh and Gina's weddings. Since then we've had Annette and Bill, Cass, Robert, Yvonne and Connie, Bob and Turlough, Carol and Christy, and lots of other stuff that I'm forgetting. Next year is starting strong with Louie versus Paul and Niamh and Yvonne. (I think Connie will side with Louie, and maybe even end up with him and the baby, but that's another matter.) Damien's story could go anywhere, and there's obviously a lot more to come from Bob and Christy.

Captain Neg, I didn't answer your soap poll in the other thread, because I only have time to watch FC these days. But it's a good idea, so I'm stealing it for my review of the year.

Best Actor:

Bob, hands down. (Why does that make me think of Leo Dowling?) Honourable mention for Christy, who was funny for most of the year and really moving in the court scenes.

Best Actress:

Tracey. The character isn't coming well out of the current story, but the actress still brings complete believability to everything she does. Sometimes you can actually see what she's thinking.

Best Newcomer:

Robert. One of the most interesting characters in soap, and the actor has been great from the first moment. I particularly like the way he can go from a heavy scene to a funny one and do justice to both.

Biggest Loss:

Troy. He was sarky and fun, and I thought there was a lot more to be explored in his relationship with Leo.

Best Serious Stories:

The whole Louie/Paul/Niamh/baby/Connie mess clearly still has a long way to go. However, I'm going to go for Turlough and Bob as the story with everything. Religion, crime, money, family betrayal, adultery, a coma, a seance, and a terrific performance from another candidate for both best newcomer and biggest loss. Best of all, it seemed to wake the writers up to the genius of Bob. Twelve months ago he was just Mr Smarmy. Now he is a complex character, and they are getting great work out of a brilliant serious and comic actor.

Best Comic Stories:

Slim pickings here. The Madonna books, I guess, but as someone pointed out, it didn't really go anywhere. It should have reunited Ray and Keith as a comic twosome, but they blew it.

The WTF Award:

Keith Duffy. He's in for no reason, he's gone for no reason, and in between the two he had a girlfriend, a daughter, an ex-wife, a drum kit, and a weird urge to live in Africa. For no reason.

More of in 2010:

Comedy, PLEASE! Robert, Dermot and Jo, Cass, Keith and Ray, Doug, Carol and Christy, Duncan, Leo, Orla... There is plenty of potential here, but they need the stories. And I'm not the only ****er in Ireland who needs a laugh.

Less of in 2010:

It pains me to say it, because I think they are very talented actors. But I agree with most of the people here that we have seen an abundance of Paul and Niamh. When this baby story is over, they should fade gracefully into the background for a while.

Overall:

A great year. I'm glad it's winning the ratings war, and I'm delighted people are talking about it with more respect.

Longest Post:

This one. Apologies for that. I got my Christmas holidays today, and the review-of-the-year hormones just kicked in.

I doubt too many would argue in most of what you say. Would have had Carol as the best actress. Thought she was brilliant as the Mayor. Also very good with Christy.

I doubt too many would argue in most of what you say. Would have had Carol as the best actress. Thought she was brilliant as the Mayor. Also very good with Christy.

Disagreement is where the fun is. I do think Carol was great, actually, but I limited myself to one person per category.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Best Actor:

Bob

Best Actress:

Eileen Bishop

Best Newcomer:

Robert. Had the pleasure of meeting Sam Corry last year. The guys a legend.

Biggest Loss:

Mags. Honourable mention to Dominic.

Best Serious Stories:

The whole Annette/Bill/Seamus/Barry thing was excellent.
    Damian taking the debt collectors job.
    Also, must say that Brendan's trial was brilliant.

Best Comic Stories:

Duncan, Eileen, Cass and Bela trying to get Zumo to leave Charlie's house.
    The Toaster.

The WTF Award:

Dominic and his sandwich fetish.

More of in 2010:

Deaths/Big Exits. A Serial Killer in Carrigstown would spice things up nicely.

Less of in 2010:

Kylie. Woeful actress and annoys me to tears. Bet Domo faked his death so he wouldn't have to talk to her ever again.

Overall:

Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Carols reaction to Deans surprise at Traceys was brilliant.

Agreed. Looked so real. Fantastic acting.

The situation with Dean bursting in was bloody hilarious, I was laughing away :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 dopes

BEST ACTOR
    Christy

BEST ACTRESS
    Tracey - not liking her at the moment but she was great in the domestic abuse story

BEST NEWCOMER
    Robert

BIGGEST LOSS
    Heather

BEST SERIOUS STORY
    Dominic and Tracey abuse

BEST COMIC STORY
    Dean giving dating advice to Robert

WTF AWARD
    Bill and Annette story was ridiculous

MORE OF IN 2010
    Carol and Tracey scenes.

LESS OF IN 2010
    Jo, cant stand her. Hope we dont see Zumo and his Gran again, both drive me crazy.

dopes wrote: »
    BEST ACTOR
    Christy

BEST ACTRESS
    Tracey - not liking her at the moment but she was great in the domestic abuse story

BEST NEWCOMER
    Robert

BIGGEST LOSS
    Heather

BEST SERIOUS STORY
    Dominic and Tracey abuse

BEST COMIC STORY
    Dean giving dating advice to Robert

WTF AWARD
    Bill and Annette story was ridiculous

MORE OF IN 2010
    Carol and Tracey scenes.

LESS OF IN 2010
    Jo, cant stand her. Hope we dont see Zumo and his Gran again, both drive me crazy.

Omg I love Jo and I find her scenes with Dermot lovely, now that they are fostering, I imagine Jo will feature highly :D

I love Zumo & his gran as well, great characters. I enjoyed the Bill & Annette storyline.

• Advertisement

BEST ACTOR
    Bob

BEST ACTRESS
    Carol

BEST NEWCOMER
    Louie

BIGGEST LOSS
    Heather/Annette

BEST SERIOUS STORY
    Annettes alcoholism, The trial for floyd's death, Dominic abuse

BEST COMIC STORY
    Trying to evict Zumo from Charlies house

WTF AWARD
    hmm... I think those madonna books :D

MORE OF IN 2010
    Carol & Tracey, Cass & Eileen, Louie, Christy & Carol, and more Bob! I would also love more Leo!!

LESS OF IN 2010

Niamh & Paul but I guess that is asking too much!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement