Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 mainyday

SOUTH PAW wrote: »
    Tanx mainyday! I knew there was something else I didn't like, but I couldn't remember....and that's it! her inability to do a believable Dublin accent. I mean if herself, Una and Turlough had discussed being brought up apart it would be believable but they have talked about their life growing up together......
    I don't think she comes from D4(cud be wrong) but she's in that stupid lotto add where their all running round dressed like stars n she's the one at the end that say's "I've won ???euro"(dunno how much) but it sounds like a country accent to me:confused:

Yeah, you could be right, it may be a country accent. But she does speak well. Una on the other hand??? Maybe Turlough could give her some elocuotion lessons or somthin??? Her accent is a bit rough. Ya know wori mean lioke.:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I think that catriona one is very good. Have brother around her age and his female mates seem very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tubbers

mainyday wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree, I sometimes feel really embarrassed:o when the crap actore come on and then I've to explain to them that there really are some good actors in the show. Maybe I'm being too harsh on Una's sister, she probably is an ok actor, it's her character who's boring. So why not just pack her off to Africa with her dodo boyfriend what's hs name? He can't act for nuts.:p:p:p

Or at least give her a storyline so that the character could be introduced properly, everyone else get s a big story so then you feel like you know them if the go in and order a coffee so its not boring but if you've never been introduced to a character with a strong point then you don't want to put up with them ordering a cuppa. She and dean should hook up, make a nice little pair, just nice to look at, I think you can only judge when they've been given some sort of proper story to tackle rather than just bits to pipe in with. Turlough was from the country, she seems to be from a nice part of the northside and then una is a right jackeen. Though then she is a hairdresser and Cliona works in a big office or something, see we don't even know what she works as, they should give her an intro and she does seem to be a bit cracked which is funny.

I think that catriona one is very good. Have brother around her age and his female mates seem very similar.

And she is only a young wan, clearly what the show needs is a director who will go into the actors and say when they are being a bit crap or over acting and help them out. You can't judge people who have been estalished and in it for 10 years against youngsters who have been in it ten minutes, who the hell is directing, they are he ones tha should be dragged up on it and create a standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Heather hasn't been in it for a week or so but the next time she's on - watch out for her "trademark" look - I'll try and describe it. She raises her neck slightly, and appears to inhale through her nose and her eyes close up - my daughter does a great impression of her!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SOUTH PAW

You HAVE to be having a laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: if not....is that u Caitriona?:rolleyes:

As for blaming the directors, give me a break:confused: these people are employed as (trained)actors to do a job....The directors can only do so much, if you can't act u can't act. She must be in the show at least a year now and has shown zero improvement...... infact I think she's getting worse. She totally spoiled the hole Gina story for me and I really felt sorry for Niamh who had to act with her and basically carry the whole story single handed with a little help from her brother. I'm not buying into the age or experience thing either i.e. Rachel, Charlie's Grandson..... And if that was so what's Maureen's excuse?.........I rest my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SaintHubbins

I think the story line of Malachy taking poppers and fisting Charlie was too much to be honest. I stopped watching it then. Did the wedding of Snaffles, Paddy's dog, to Mags go ahead without a hitch? How are Jimmy's bumgrapes these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

I think the worst thing about the acting in Fair City is that the brilliant actors (Hilda Fay, Aisling O'Neill etc) make the bad actors (i.e. Leo, Maureen, any of the actors under 21 bar the young wan who plays Rachel) look worse. And I think that is why more attention gets drawn to how bad they are.

I think Sean is pretty good. His scenes when Gina died were really moving. What do you think?

Doug is hilarious. I don't know if he's good or not, but he cracks me up whenever he's on. "You'll never beat the Oirish!"

SOUTH PAW wrote: »
    You HAVE to be having a laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: if not....is that u Caitriona?:rolleyes:

As for blaming the directors, give me a break:confused: these people are employed as (trained)actors to do a job....The directors can only do so much, if you can't act u can't act. She must be in the show at least a year now and has shown zero improvement...... infact I think she's getting worse. She totally spoiled the hole Gina story for me and I really felt sorry for Niamh who had to act with her and basically carry the whole story single handed with a little help from her brother. I'm not buying into the age or experience thing either i.e. Rachel, Charlie's Grandson..... And if that was so what's Maureen's excuse?.........I rest my case.

:)I agree. Look at the little lad, son of the former Politician, can't think of his name? Is it Dermot? He's married to the miss Piggy lookalike? Can't think of her name either. but the little chap is a good actor.:) Yer wan Catriona really takes the biscuit though.:eek::eek::eek: I've seen no improvement in her acting at all. I cringe every time I see her on screen.:eek: Dunc could even grow on me I'm sure, he's better than her at any rate.:P With Dunc, I think his character is meant to be a pain in the bt.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

MaryCat! wrote: »
    I enjoyed the whole "Out to Africa" storyline. Especially Keith's line, "Symptoms include bleeding from the eyes...........BLEEDIN' FROM THE EYES!!!"

Me too. It's interesting that Una came in as a kind of skanger, and now she has a conscience. I think Keith is right as well - would she be going to Africa if Ringo wasn't there?

But mainly I think they're getting her out of the way because the actress is pregnant, and they can't find a handbag big enough to stick in front of her BullyBelly (c) JP Liz, 2009.

• Advertisement

deelite wrote: »
    Heather hasn't been in it for a week or so but the next time she's on - watch out for her "trademark" look - I'll try and describe it. She raises her neck slightly, and appears to inhale through her nose and her eyes close up - my daughter does a great impression of her!!

I've noticed that look, she squints her eyes as well.:) :)

deelite wrote: »

YOUTUBE!

gogglebok wrote: »
    I think Sean is pretty good. His scenes when Gina died were really moving. What do you think?

Doug is hilarious. I don't know if he's good or not, but he cracks me up whenever he's on. "You'll never beat the Oirish!"

I think Sean is a good actor too. Is he any relation to Tracy? I think he looks a lot like her, maybe he's her nephew?:)

Have to agree with both mainyday n gogglebok about the lads Sean n Doug's acting skills.......This strengthens my case about Catriona's terrible acting:p
    gogglebok with another great Keithism:D "BLEEDIN EYES!"

:)I agree. Look at the little lad, son of the former Politician, can't think of his name? Is it Dermot? He's married to the miss Piggy lookalike? Can't think of her name either. but the little chap is a good actor.:) Yer wan Catriona really takes the biscuit though.:eek::eek::eek: I've seen no improvement in her acting at all. I cringe every time I see her on screen.:eek: Dunc could even grow on me I'm sure, he's better than her at any rate.:P With Dunc, I think his character is meant to be a pain in the bt.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

No, you've a fair point, it is their job, some of the kids are great, those three teenage lads are great craic, I was merely defendin yer wan Cliona as I thought you were too harsh on her, I like her,I think she's funny and is good actually, I really liked the initial moving in with Keith Duffy bit, and a bit of attractiveness is what the show needs,bit more her,dean and troy please, but she hasn't had an interesting storyline of her own yet and you notice her more not doing stuff,and like heather too,still hate africa storyline,with ringo,with una, with benjy from the riordans, story is bad, but some of the kids could put the others to shame.

Tubbers wrote: »
    No, you've a fair point, it is their job, some of the kids are great, those three teenage lads are great craic, I was merely defendin yer wan Cliona as I thought you were too harsh on her, I like her,I think she's funny and is good actually, I really liked the initial moving in with Keith Duffy bit, and a bit of attractiveness is what the show needs,bit more her,dean and troy please, but she hasn't had an interesting storyline of her own yet and you notice her more not doing stuff
    Have to agree wit ya Tubbers, she hasn't had a decent story to get her teeth into since Ringo when on tour... I mean Africa:rolleyes: Hopefully they'll give her something soon seems such a shame to waste such a pretty girl:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 dopes

Have to say I completely disagree with you on the Clionda thing, yeah she's good looking but a soap should have real looking people, portraying real senarios and well, (ok FC doesn't always succeed on that front...Africia????) I would certainly prefer watching someone like hilda fay playing a real character incredibly than some pretty young thing ham it up.....
    mind you Dean does succeed in both areaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Indian Princess

I really have to agree with the posters about Catriona, Cliona and Maureen, very, very hard to watch such bad acting. In relation to Cliona I really don't think "looks" is a good enough reason to keep bad actors in the show, and must be really hard on the people that can act. We need real people (not models) that can act, like Tracy, Carol, Una, Niamh etc...and sometimes we're lucky enough to get actors that have both like Keith, Dean, Troy, Robin and Cleo.:)

I just found this online, looking for info in the Tracey storyline:

Spoiler

The Herald gave it a great review too. It's Pat Stacey, who usually gives a good slagging. He says he doesn't normally like soaps, but Fair City is changing his mind. He says the Africa story is a clever contrast to the Tracey one, which is an inteeresting take.

No spoilers.

:)The little lad I think is a great actor, is actually Geraldine's son, not Dermot@Joe's as I thought originaly. Which brings to mind Yvonne, now she can act. We all love to hate her. She is also a good looking lady, which just goes to show that you do need more than good looks to be a success in a show like Fair City.;) To be fair to Cliona, I agree with the post that said she just needs a good storyline, maybe then she can show her true talent.:D Maybe I was being too hard on her.:o
    I also agree with the post that said that the three youths are a bit of a laugh. They play their roles well, with Sean being the sensible one.:)

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what happened to the pregnant homeless girl? Remember, she used to live with Dolorous? I thought she was a cracking actor, played the role really well.:confused: I kinda miss Dolorous @ co. I know the elderly lady died recently in real life, which is sad. Just can't think of her name?:confused:
    I found Ray hard to watch following the accident, it was all about him. He used to be a bit of a laugh. I loved it when he was training the lad's for soccer. Was it Carrick United? I much prefare him in that light hearted role.:) Bring back the old Ray;) And of course not forgetting my Turlough (sigh sigh sigh):D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MaryCat!

Does anyone know what happened to the pregnant homeless girl? Remember, she used to live with Dolorous? I thought she was a cracking actor, played the role really well.:confused: I kinda miss Dolorous @ co. I know the elderly lady died recently in real life, which is sad. Just can't think of her name?:confused:
    I found Ray hard to watch following the accident, it was all about him. He used to be a bit of a laugh. I loved it when he was training the lad's for soccer. Was it Carrick United? I much prefare him in that light hearted role.:) Bring back the old Ray;) And of course not forgetting my Turlough (sigh sigh sigh):D:D:D

I think her name was Lara! I have to disagree, I thought she was a terrible actress! She had the same face for every emotion!:D

I agree! Bring back the old Ray!!

I really have to agree with the posters about Catriona, Cliona and Maureen, very, very hard to watch such bad acting. In relation to Cliona I really don't think "looks" is a good enough reason to keep bad actors in the show, and must be really hard on the people that can act. We need real people (not models) that can act, like Tracy, Carol, Una, Niamh etc...and sometimes we're lucky enough to get actors that have both like Keith, Dean, Troy, Robin and Cleo.:)

I'm not saying it's just about looks. I mean she's not a model, the country is full of bleach blondes like her, so she is like most real girls about town and I really do think she's a good actress but the character has no point, she's someones sister and someones girlfriend with no role of her own. I really don't think she's a bad actress, it surprises me that someone would go that far, sure she's only doing a few bits and pieces here, unlike Kylie. Whereas,I agree about Yvonne, you love to hate her and she's good looking but again she has a strong character so she gets away with hammin it up a bit. There's fun to be had with her character.
    Leo seems to be like marmite with everyone, I love him! I think he's hilarious, a national treasure in an ironic sorta way!

completely disagree with you on that one. I dont think there has been a single weak link in the tracey, dominic, carol , kylie, Troy and Dean storyline. Do you know yer one playing cliona or something, you're fairly sticking up for her?!

dopes wrote: »
    completely disagree with you on that one. I dont think there has been a single weak link in the tracey, dominic, carol , kylie, Troy and Dean storyline. Do you know yer one playing cliona or something, you're fairly sticking up for her?!

No you're right, now I'm being too harsh on her, they have played a blinder with that storyline, maybe before she was just a bit moany, I didn't like the fighting over yer man bit with Ali. I dunno what it was about yer wan playing Cliona that I feel like defendin her so much! Maybe secretly I'm her new fanclub like the Turlough following, I should get support Unas sister tee shirts, though that would be a bit random, her and Troy and Leo fanclub. I just thought that the criticism was a bit harsh as I like her and I just really enjoy that family Keith, Una and Cliona and really hate the africa storyline, I think it's really patronising, a bit like Madonna picking and choosing babies in Malawi and it's just put a right bee in my bonnet. Maybe I should stop going on about it now though dopes, good call! Leave it to rest and move onto the damning of the hungry pig in general, it hurts me eyes!

no thats ok....if you want to rant this is the place for it! I think there are going to be a couple of fan clubs set up at this rate!

Tago Mago wrote: »

Woah, what a shower, the poor actor and he is really good, sandwiches or no sandwiches. God love him, he has a family to think about, don't seem like a happy workplace there that would treat him like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭JaneyP

Tubbers wrote: »
    Woah, what a shower, the poor actor and he is really good, sandwiches or no sandwiches. God love him, he has a family to think about, don't seem like a happy workplace there that would treat him like that!

He is an actor for god's sake!! Thats his job!! There are 1000's of actors would love an opportunity to be where he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fourfiveone

How come no-one's telling Una that Africa's not the best place to go when you're heavily pregnant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement