Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I don't mind Caitriona so much, I like her with Duncan, would like to see more storylines about Sean and Ali annoys me aaaaargh.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭nellie07

I like her too, and I think she has that cheeky little dublin madam thing going on. I like her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

nellie07 wrote: »
    I like her too, and I think she has that cheeky little dublin madam thing going on. I like her.

I feel a bit sorry for the actress. She's obviously young, and it's a very emotional story. It's asking a lot of her to live up to people like Tracey and Niamh.

Duncan is turning into a great villain. "Have an abortion or I leave you" must be the most unsympathetic thing someone could say to a pregnant teenager. I can see Niamh stringing him up by his thumbs. Or worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Well what do ye reckon is Ali going to get it on with whatshisface Barry? Bet ya she does... another case of Barry falling for a student maybe?:confused:

jobucks wrote: »
    Well what do ye reckon is Ali going to get it on with whatshisface Barry? Bet ya she does... another case of Barry falling for a student maybe?:confused:

:eek: I never considered that... oh yuck. :eek:

• Advertisement

more chance of her getting with a woman that with barry come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 mainyday

gogglebok wrote: »
    I feel a bit sorry for the actress. She's obviously young, and it's a very emotional story. It's asking a lot of her to live up to people like Tracey and Niamh.

Duncan is turning into a great villain. "Have an abortion or I leave you" must be the most unsympathetic thing someone could say to a pregnant teenager. I can see Niamh stringing him up by his thumbs. Or worse.
    I don't agree, that's only making excuses for her. If you take a look at any of the English soaps like Corrie etc. They use young actors who can act. That Catriona one, is letting not only Fair City down, but Irish actors in general. Acting is something you either have a talent for or not, it's clear to me that she just doesn't have what it takes. I'm sure there has to be someone with talent out there who could make a better go of the role than she has. And I don't think it's down to personal likes or dislikes, for example some people don't like Allie, but like her or not, she's a good actor:) Do you agree?

Yeah Allie rocks

I don't think anyone would buy a storyline as far fetched as that, Barry is a bit long in the tooth for Ali. I could see Ali with someone nice like Dean, he's young and good looking, now that would be much more believable. Then Tracy would become really jealous of Ali. A nice piece of drama for us viewers or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

mainyday wrote: »
    I don't agree, that's only making excuses for her. If you take a look at any of the English soaps like Corrie etc. They use young actors who can act. That Catriona one, is letting not only Fair City down, but Irish actors in general. Acting is something you either have a talent for or not, it's clear to me that she just doesn't have what it takes. I'm sure there has to be someone with talent out there who could make a better go of the role than she has. And I don't think it's down to personal likes or dislikes, for example some people don't like Allie, but like her or not, she's a good actor:) Do you agree?

I think actors can only work with the script that they've been given - and to be honest the script / storyline has more holes in it than a sieve. For example Maureen renting out a room to a man and his son that she only knows a wet day and then telling him (more or less) he can "give out" to her son. Catriona hasn't got a good storyline now - another pregnancy for another young girl this "storyline" has been re-done over and over. I think it would have been much better if she'd have contracted an STD - that would have been much better. I don't like the Catriona, Duncan, Kylie or Ali characters - but I do feel they should have been given better storylines.

• Advertisement

I could be mistaken, but wasn't it Barry's teacher girlfriend who fell for a student? I don't ever remember Barry falling for a student??:confused:

deelite wrote: »
    I think actors can only work with the script that they've been given - and to be honest the script / storyline has more holes in it than a sieve. For example Maureen renting out a room to a man and his son that she only knows a wet day and then telling him (more or less) he can "give out" to her son. Catriona hasn't got a good storyline now - another pregnancy for another young girl this "storyline" has been re-done over and over. I think it would have been much better if she'd have contracted an STD - that would have been much better. I don't like the Catriona, Duncan, Kylie or Ali characters - but I do feel they should have been given better storylines.

I take your point, the writers do need a bit of a shake up, they need to come up with some more realistic storylines. But balance them out with some romance for us romantics.

I could be mistaken, but wasn't it Barry's teacher girlfriend who fell for a student? I don't ever remember Barry falling for a student??:confused:

Niamh - he fell for Niamh when she was a student.

nellie07 wrote: »
    Yeah Allie rocks

I think Allie is complete rubbish.

I take your point, the writers do need a bit of a shake up, they need to come up with some more realistic storylines. But balance them out with some romance for us romantics.

How about this then:

Jimmy comes back from Aussie (I don't think the actor is doing much at moment) and tells Robin he's made a mistake, just as Keith comes out of her bedroom.

Dolores and Malacy get married to bring up Lara's baby together.

Cleo and Dean get together and start a new "catering business".

Leo and Carol decide they really love each.

Enough romance for you yet!!!!!!

mother of God!

Barry fell for Niamh when he was her teacher in school, thats how they ended up together. You must be a young un:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tubbers

Barry fell for Niamh when he was her teacher in school, thats how they ended up together. You must be a young un:)

God that brings me back that storyline! Barry and Niamh, didn't Paul bring up that issue at christmas when he was having a go at Barry over something. I Love the young fellas, even if they don't say any thing of point as young fellas don't say anything but 'howrya, I'm going to me room'. 'Muppeh'.
    But yes, more realistic storylines with an edge, that's what made the domestic abuse one work well, because it connects and you don't need to stretch your imagination to believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ooh that kinda rings a bell. was her name sorcha? and was teh student ross?

but yeah, barry was with niamh when she was still a student, way back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

you gotta love keith "everytime i think of her i see giraffes"
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

• Advertisement

sam34 wrote: »
    you gotta love keith "everytime i think of her i see giraffes"
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

class line lol. or leo in the cab office to troy.."why didn't ya tell me" lol

Yeah, mainyday, there's something to what you say alright. There's plenty of young actors on Fair City who are top class at emotional stuff (Sean, Rachel) or just really funny (Doug cracks me up). The acting in general has really improved in the last couple of years. When you think of some of the people who used to be in it :eek:.

I guess some of the old style is still there, but it looks a lot more exposed now that the standard has risen so much.

Tubbers wrote: »
    But yes, more realistic storylines with an edge, that's what made the domestic abuse one work well, because it connects and you don't need to stretch your imagination to believe it.

I wish they would do more funny stories. They've really got the realistic ones right over the last while, from Paul's heart attack and the wedding down to Dominic and Tracey. But there's a bit of craic missing. There's plenty of comedy potential in Christy, Carol, Leo, Keith, Ray, and even Malachy. I just wish we saw more of it.

In fairness, Keith has got some great lines out of the Africa business. Giraffess, the plague, the orphans ("their parents won't like that").... There's a lot of good stuff, as long as he doesn't get all serious now.

Niamh - he fell for Niamh when she was a student.

Ah, there you go now, it was before I became a fan. Thanks for keeping me up to date.:)

I must have been tuned in somewhere else at the time. Mind you that's not unusual for me. I get bored easily. But for some reason I've got hooked up on Fair city recently. I watch it, then moan about it, maybe it's just what I need at the moment in my life. Maybe that's why most of us watch it. I do question sometimes if I might be losing my marbles. But, if I am that's ok. As I do love the drama and most of the characters, most of the time.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MaryCat!

I dont think "being young" is enough of an excuse for Catriona being as bad as she is. What is she anyway? 18 or 19? Rachel acts her off the screen whenever they have scenes. She just cant act! Plain and simple! Nothing wrong with the storylines either. Shes pregant and her boyfriend is being a pig about it!! Nothing far fetched or ridiculous about that. Im sure it happens 1000's of young girls everyday!! Imagine someone decent like Cleo with the same material?

See my romantic notions are working did you see Leo and Carol together at the pub quiz - watch this space (he'll forget that she tried to frame him for Billy's murder!!!!)

How about this then:

Jimmy comes back from Aussie (I don't think the actor is doing much at moment) and tells Robin he's made a mistake, just as Keith comes out of her bedroom.

Dolores and Malacy get married to bring up Lara's baby together.

Cleo and Dean get together and start a new "catering business".

Leo and Carol decide they really love each.

Enough romance for you yet!!!!!!

I like the idea of Dolores and Malachy, now that could work.:) And Cleo and Dean? Yeah I could see that. As for Jimmy? Well, he was a wimp, so anything that could annoy him would be good.:p You romantic thing you!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭JaneyP

Cleo and Dean?? YEEES!! great match!! Both cooks! Both quite fiery! Both good looking!

Carol and Leo?? Now that WOULD be a dream for me! That would be hilarious!

Tracey and Det. Deegan also. Ive always thought they would be great together!

Kylie and Duncan too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MS.MONEYPENNY

gogglebok wrote: »
    I wish they would do more funny stories. They've really got the realistic ones right over the last while, from Paul's heart attack and the wedding down to Dominic and Tracey. But there's a bit of craic missing. There's plenty of comedy potential in Christy, Carol, Leo, Keith, Ray, and even Malachy. I just wish we saw more of it.

In fairness, Keith has got some great lines out of the Africa business. Giraffess, the plague, the orphans ("their parents won't like that").... There's a lot of good stuff, as long as he doesn't get all serious now.
    I have to say it's Great to see Keith back with Ray giving us a laugh:D, really missed the comedy between the two of them. I loved the comedy between Christy, Carol and Malachy if they threw Leo into the mix it would be a howl:D:D I think Dean n Troy are good for a laugh too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement