Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I have to say it, Louis & Carol last night just brought out how bad an actor Louis is. Almost every sentence he spoke ended with an eyebrow raise, or his tone getting higher. It was obvious his lines were from a script - Carols were much more natural. And why would they get into that uncomfortable position in the bed when he brought the food in? Other than of course, to be closer to the camera. You would just have put that tray of food on your lap rather than lie on your stomach towards the end of the bed:rolleyes:

Although I think that Louis and Carol work together much better than Carol and Christie, his acting skills leave alot to be desired (Louis).

Still loving Bob and loved the way he called the Pig 'my restaurant' (with a french twang lol).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Eradicate

Fittle wrote: »
    I have to say it, Louis & Carol last night just brought out how bad an actor Louis is. Almost every sentence he spoke ended with an eyebrow raise, or his tone getting higher. It was obvious his lines were from a script - Carols were much more natural. And why would they get into that uncomfortable position in the bed when he brought the food in? Other than of course, to be closer to the camera. You would just have put that tray of food on your lap rather than lie on your stomach towards the end of the bed:rolleyes:

Although I think that Louis and Carol work together much better than Carol and Christie, his acting skills leave alot to be desired (Louis).

Still loving Bob and loved the way he called the Pig 'my restaurant' (with a french twang lol).

I agree 100 percent! He really is weak. I said this months ago when people were moaning about him not being given a story. He is not able for it. The crying scene the other night was so bad. I was cringing. An 8 year old in a school play could have been more convincing. He's like something out of a cheesy American daytime soap. Good looking but as wooden as a plank.

I dont understand why, fair city give the worst actors (apart from bob) all the storylines. The bishops, neasa, Louie, etc. While the likes of Ray and Pete are just filler. The writing in the show can be weak and lazy, but at least give it to good actors who can put some life in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I hate what they've done to Louie's character. Careless whisper?! sooo cheesy.

I way preferred when he was with yvonne, he had so much more edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

xalot wrote: »
    I hate what they've done to Louie's character. Careless whisper?! sooo cheesy.

I way preferred when he was with yvonne, he had so much more edge.
    He was so cut-throat when he first came into it. He is a totally different character now.

• Advertisement

I thought it was funny last night when Carol asked Louie if he would still love her IF she got fat??? She is not exactly skinny at the moment. I remember thinking a few weeks ago that i thought the actress was pregnant. However, when i seen her being interviewed on the Daily show it looked like she had lost about a stone. I am confused :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

max life wrote: »
    He was so cut-throat when he first came into it. He is a totally different character now.

A lot of characters change, he is still cut throat with other people like Bob for instance. Carol has mellowed him and he shows a different side to him with Carol. I am like that, in a work environment, people see one side of me and then with my OH and friends etc, I am something else.

I love Louie and will stand my ground for him anytime ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 86,203 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Taceom wrote: »
    He won it in a pool game against Dean. Leo had given Dean money/shares in the garage to use to set up his own business and Dean used it on the game of pool against Finn.

Finn had 25 grand to put against Dean's garage shares and Finn won the shares but where did Finn get his money from?

Does Esther actually live in Carrigstown? Everything happening there bothers her :rolleyes:

I am sick for Louie and Carol now tbh I think their chemistry and spark is gone

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Finn has 25 grand to put against Dean's garage shares and Finn won the shares but where did Finn get his money from?

Does Esther actually live in Carrigstown? Everything happening there bothers her :rolleyes:

I am sick for Louie and Carol now tbh I think their chemistry and spark is gone

It finishes soon...

Esther lives near there I reckon.. she has a business there so she has an "interest" in the community :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    A dedicated RTE Gold digital channel would be great for repeating archive programmes.

Wouldn't cost them much to set up and I'd say they'd get the viewers.

RTÉ were suggesting a new service on Saorview to be known as RTÉ Plus.

In its first Phase it would simiple be RTÉ 1 +1 and in its second phase RTÉ Plus with a schedule filled with archived programmes, Irish and Euro movies, some sporting events and some bought in programming.

However former Min Pat Carey and the BAI (Broadcasting Authority of Ireland) were worried that the proposed RTÉ Plus channel would be too much competition to TV3 and 3e so the Minister decided that only Phase one would take place. Hence in a few months time RTÉ 1 +1 will be available to viewers on Saorview (possibly UPC) for a total of 4 years.
    :mad:

Other channels expected to launch in the coming year RTÉ News Now (technically launched already), RTÉjr (for under 6s) and RTÉ 2 HD.

http://www.saorview.ie/channels.html

So now you will get to see Fair City 4 times a day.

• Advertisement

^Will any of them channels be showing re runs of old shows?

Reminder -- Last day for questions

00043de2-545.jpg

Meet the actors: Eamon Morrissey.

This month we will be interviewing Eamon Morrissey who plays Cass Cassidy.

Cass is an irrepressible old rogue with a severe case of itchy feet. Adept at avoiding regular work, he always has his eye open for an opportunity to make a quick buck. Cass' moral responsibility may have been called into question, but his affection for his grandchildren is without question. This eternal traveller is never short of a story, but can you believe anything he says?
    If you would like to ask Eamon anything please email your questions to faircity@rte.ie, with 'Eamon Morrissey Interview' in the subject line, or tweet your questions to http://twitter.com/RTEFairCity.
    We will select the best questions and put them to him.
    The deadline for questions is Wednesday 2nd of March.

STIG83 wrote: »
    ^Will any of them channels be showing re runs of old shows?

Had phase 2 of RTÉ Plus been allowed, but unfortunately no the 3 new channels RTÉ NEWS NOW, RTÉjr and RTÉ Plus (AKA RTÉ 1+1) are all up to date channels. There might be a possibility that RTÉ Two might show re-runs of old shows during the day when RTÉjr moves from that channel (However TRTÉ maybe extended on RTÉ Two). During the Summer TG4 repeat old Ros Na Run Episodes from the 1990s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sandwichboard

angel01 wrote: »
    Would love Fair City to explore the idea of having a long term character gay/lesbian (I know they did the Yvonne thing but that was half hearted) and I would love to see if one of the Bishops turned out to be gay.. I was thinking Zumo or Denzo first off..

How about Louie, Angel? ;) OK, I'm being deliberately provocative. Sorry!

angel01 wrote: »
    I know Zumo had the dallience with Lara but I think it would be a good storyline to have someone deemed so tough & hard and would love to see how that storyline could be handled...:)

Like my favourite of favourite characters from The Wire, Omar.

Hands up who wants to see Neasa work in LadyLand??? ( Max puts BOTH of his hands up ). :D

How about Louie, Angel? ;) OK, I'm being deliberately provocative. Sorry!

Like my favourite of favourite characters from The Wire, Omar.

:eek::eek: Louie... NEVER :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Elmo wrote: »
    Had phase 2 of RTÉ Plus been allowed, but unfortunately no the 3 new channels RTÉ NEWS NOW, RTÉjr and RTÉ Plus (AKA RTÉ 1+1) are all up to date channels. There might be a possibility that RTÉ Two might show re-runs of old shows during the day when RTÉjr moves from that channel (However TRTÉ maybe extended on RTÉ Two). During the Summer TG4 repeat old Ros Na Run Episodes from the 1990s.

Hmmm

RTE have to take responsibility as well. They have a consistent policy of ignoring their archive. Refusing to release old shows on DVD is part of the problem. They have cited "lack of demand" when questioned but small pressing runs - one thousand at a time - can be achieved.

Look at site like www.networkdvd.net and see what obscure gems they have released from the ITV archive. Some of their titles just sell in the hundreds but it doesn't stop them putting them out. I wonder if they'd make RTE an offer to purchase the DVD rights of Bracken and Glenroe?

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Hmmm

RTE have to take responsibility as well. They have a consistent policy of ignoring their archive. Refusing to release old shows on DVD is part of the problem. They have cited "lack of demand" when questioned but small pressing runs - one thousand at a time - can be achieved.

Look at site like www.networkdvd.net and see what obscure gems they have released from the ITV archive. Some of their titles just sell in the hundreds but it doesn't stop them putting them out. I wonder if they'd make RTE an offer to purchase the DVD rights of Bracken and Glenroe?

It seems to be quite expensive to provide DVD releases of any show, its bizzare how the rights and royalty media expect the same prices for smaller countries or at least exceptional high prices. You would think that the IFCO would forgo classifying TV from Ireland. All of which would help with the release of many shows and the promotion of programming. It took RTÉ nearly 30 years to release Strumpet City on DVD. Can we even get Family (RTÉ/BBC) on DVD?

But I don't see why RTÉ should take responsible for not being let provide an extra channel for archived shows? It was the Department under instructions from the BAI who in turn got instructions from the NNI (newspapers), TV3 and IBI (radio broadcasters) that decided against such a channel.

Elmo wrote: »
    It seems to be quite expensive to provide DVD releases of any show, its bizzare how the rights and royalty media expect the same prices for smaller countries or at least exceptional high prices. You would think that the IFCO would forgo classifying TV from Ireland. All of which would help with the release of many shows and the promotion of programming. It took RTÉ nearly 30 years to release Strumpet City on DVD. Can we even get Family (RTÉ/BBC) on DVD?

But I don't see why RTÉ should take responsible for not being let provide an extra channel for archived shows? It was the Department under instructions from the BAI who in turn got instructions from the NNI (newspapers), TV3 and IBI (radio broadcasters) that decided against such a channel.

No dont think you can but im sure you can get it another way, but ill get a slap on the wrist if i mention it here, its a programme i really want to see.
    It was only the last year or two that The Snapper finally became available on DVD, and another film i would to see on DVD is War Of The Buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

If anyones watching and online...what do ye make of Louis's 'decor' in hit house/apartment? It has that mad wallpaper...with a suite that doesn't match..and very old furniture. I would have thought he was much trendier than that.

AND Dean doesn't work in the hungry pig anymore - so he shouldn't have signed for those burgers - and Bob would know that. One phone call 'he doesn't work here anymore and shouldn't have signed for those burgers left outside my premises' and they'd have to take them back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dean is a sneaky, childish, smug pr1ck... Good idea from Tommy about the burger promotion all the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

I thought FC was brilliant tonight. Bob is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Fittle wrote: »
    AND Dean doesn't work in the hungry pig anymore - so he shouldn't have signed for those burgers - and Bob would know that. One phone call 'he doesn't work here anymore and shouldn't have signed for those burgers left outside my premises' and they'd have to take them back.

Ah but that's in the real world, in soapland someone can put a bid in for a restaurant on Thursday and move in lock, stock and barrel by Monday. No solicitors, no surveys and no phone calls to suppliers telling them to take stock back.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

Any chance RTE would start a rerun of Glenroe? Well Holy God!!
    Or better still make a brand new series. With more and more people sitting in at night, it could do well in the ratings again. I'm really surprised TV3 havn't attempted a soap/drama to rival Fair City. Probably only a matter of time, there is certainly imo a need for another irish soap.

I'm liking Bob v Dean.
    Why did Bob fire him? What did he do?

I really enjoyed FC tonight. Carole and Louie stole the show as usual. Well done to them. Delighted to see that Dean has abit of backbone. Someone mentioned in an earlier thread about a gay storyline, I suggest Zumo or Finn as they are both hard men and not your stereotype gay. I don't know why I keep on thinking this, but I would love to see Geraldine return. I always thought that she was brilliant.

rogercar wrote: »
    I really enjoyed FC tonight. Carole and Louie stole the show as usual. Well done to them.

Are you being sarcastic?? It's the cringiest thing about the show atm!!

Eradicate wrote: »
    Are you being sarcastic?? It's the cringiest thing about the show atm!!
    No I'm being serious. They are a loved up couple at the moment. They are just doing what most loved up couples do in that early period. It's the calm before the storm. Christy already knows about the affair and when the you know what hits the fan it will be a differant story with Carole and Louie imo. Yes they are all lovey dovey at the moment, but give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

First time to post on this thread in 3 months. Happy new year everyone. Did y'all have a nice Christmas? :D:D

Anyhow. I may not have been here but I'm still watching Fair City. Sometimes I'm not too sure why. I absolutely hate the Carol\Louis storyline. Not one bit believable and awfully acted - a terrible match. And yer one Neassa. Her acting is even worse and her character's totally over the top devestation over the death of someone she had met about 2 weeks earlier has been highly irritating. And Christy's pitifulness - I so want to kick him up the arse!

On the plus side, Bob is back _ even if his apparent feud with yer man Dean seems to have come out of nowhere. Or did I miss something somewhere?

Need to see a little more of Yvonne the man eater bitch. They're wasting her. Although I think there was a spark between her and Dean the other night. I'm expecting that to go somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I really want to see that programme was on in the 90s it was called Family, it was mentioned yesterday on The Daily Show cos Sean McGinley was on yesterday. And i dont think its on DVD

I'd love to see this too , I've looked for it loads of times without any luck and I dont its ever been repeated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement