Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Karen23 wrote: »
    I'd love to see this too , I've looked for it loads of times without any luck and I dont its ever been repeated

Sean McGinely is supposed to be brillant playing the drunk violent husband.

rogercar wrote: »
    Or better still make a brand new series. With more and more people sitting in at night, it could do well in the ratings again. I'm really surprised TV3 havn't attempted a soap/drama to rival Fair City. Probably only a matter of time, there is certainly imo a need for another irish soap.

Is there any point making a new series of Glenroe without Miley Byrne? he made the show, had some great lines in it

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

ANY ONE INTERESTED IN STARTING A PETITION TO GET RTE REPEAT THE WEEKS PROGRAMMES ON A SUNDAY LIKE THEY USED TO DO OR PUT IT BACK ON RTE PLAYER, SURELY IF THERE WAS A BIT OF PUBLIC FEEDBACK, OUTCRY AND PRESSURE PUT ON THEY MAY RETHINK !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

cordub wrote: »
    ANY ONE INTERESTED IN STARTING A PETITION TO GET RTE REPEAT THE WEEKS PROGRAMMES ON A SUNDAY LIKE THEY USED TO DO OR PUT IT BACK ON RTE PLAYER, SURELY IF THERE WAS A BIT OF PUBLIC FEEDBACK, OUTCRY AND PRESSURE PUT ON THEY MAY RETHINK !!!

It may be coming back to the RTE player soon, its not a simple issue as just putting it back on the player, they had to come to a deal with the actors union :)

Welcome back Laois_Man and I agree with a quite a bit of your views.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

I'm enjoying the show at the moment! No bishops is always a help! Louie and Carol is really bad and needs to end soon. But apart from that, the show is good. Anyone know why Bob fired Dean? Or why they hate each other all of a sudden? I missed 2 eps last week so maybe it was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

STIG83 wrote: »
    Is there any point making a new series of Glenroe without Miley Byrne? he made the show, had some great lines in it
    Of course there is. No actor should be the "star" of the show. Uk soaps are revamped all the time, with main characters being written out/killed off and those shows are thriving. Bring back Glenroe with some of the original cast returning and lots of new faces. In the US they have rebooted Hawaii-five-o, which is a huge ratings winner. Also Dallas is on it's way back. I expect it too will be massive when it returns in the autumn.

pavcro10 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the show at the moment! No bishops is always a help! Louie and Carol is really bad and needs to end soon. But apart from that, the show is good. Anyone know why Bob fired Dean? Or why they hate each other all of a sudden? I missed 2 eps last week so maybe it was there.

I didn't know why he fired him, I thought it was a little random to be honest. I love the Bishops so not enough of them.. The Dillons put me off, they caught the Niamh & Paul virus and are never off the flipping screen.. :(

Carol & Louie end next week but I have a feeling that it will all be revealed around Carol's wedding... I want Carol & Louie together...

Of course there is. No actor should be the "star" of the show. Uk soaps are revamped all the time, with main characters being written out/killed off and those shows are thriving. Bring back Glenroe with some of the original cast returning and lots of new faces. In the US they have rebooted Hawaii-five-o, which is a huge ratings winner. Also Dallas is on it's way back. I expect it too will be massive when it returns in the autumn.

I think Glenroe had its time, It would be too dated these days.. apart from that, RTE wouldn't have the budget to bring the show back, sure they killed off the clinic and that was a ratings hit... anyway, lets focus on Fair City :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Evennia

Feeling sorry for Neasa since Turlough died..hope she finds someone nice..maybe that auctioneer guy..pretty hot...I'd reserve myself for him any day! :p

Evennia wrote: »
    Feeling sorry for Neasa since Turlough died..hope she finds someone nice..maybe that auctioneer guy..pretty hot...I'd reserve myself for him any day! :p

Welcome to the thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Or better still make a brand new series. With more and more people sitting in at night, it could do well in the ratings again. I'm really surprised TV3 havn't attempted a soap/drama to rival Fair City. Probably only a matter of time, there is certainly imo a need for another irish soap.

Far too many soaps TBH. TV3 pretended to be interested in The Clinic, but they would need to spend money something TV3 don't particularly like doing. Take a look at Ros Na Run possible one of the better soaps IMO.

STG there is a thread with details on how to get Family. ;)
    angel01 wrote: »
    I think Glenroe had its time, It would be too dated these days.. apart from that, RTE wouldn't have the budget to bring the show back, sure they killed off the clinic and that was a ratings hit... anyway, lets focus on Fair City :)

Soaps are generally of their time hence they become quite dated quite quickly, Glenroe would be very different today. The Clinic was replaced by RAW and Single Handed. TV dramas end and others takeover, it is better than having a continuous series IMO.

For those interested in the character of Ingrid and whether she will come back to Fair City:

TOP beauty Vivienne Connolly is still in the dark as to whether her sexy character will be reprised on Fair City.

The model-turned-actress made a big splash among fans of the soap after adding some sizzle to the programme by playing the part of Louie Gleeson's estranged wife Ingrid. Viewers saw her last month dropping a major bombshell by strutting into McCoy's bar to ask for a divorce.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/i-dont-know-if-i-will-be-invited-back-to-fair-city-says-vivienne-2561992.html

Elmo wrote: »
    STG there is a thread with details on how to get Family. ;).

Any chance of posting the link to this please?

For those interested in the character of Ingrid and whether she will come back to Fair City:

TOP beauty Vivienne Connolly is still in the dark as to whether her sexy character will be reprised on Fair City.

The model-turned-actress made a big splash among fans of the soap after adding some sizzle to the programme by playing the part of Louie Gleeson's estranged wife Ingrid. Viewers saw her last month dropping a major bombshell by strutting into McCoy's bar to ask for a divorce.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/i-dont-know-if-i-will-be-invited-back-to-fair-city-says-vivienne-2561992.html

Hope she comes back, she is some eye candy!! :)

Evennia wrote: »

Who???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Any chance of posting the link to this please?

Please

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055930606

The problem with glenroe was towards the end it was still very much about Miley, Dinny, Mary, Tessy, Dick and Biddy. When the killed off Biddy it did start to take on other characters such as the Doctor(Mario Rosenstock) and the Vet and other farms. Remember Emmerdale is still running years after the end of The Rioridans of which it is based on and from which Gelroe comes from.

Hope she comes back, she is some eye candy!! :)

I thought her character was intriguing as well, hope her and the kids come back. I thought she was quite impressive in the acting stakes also..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Sean McGinely is supposed to be brillant playing the drunk violent husband.

I think The Family was based on Roddy Doyle's 'The woman who walked into doors'. From what I remember Ger Ryan (Charlie's daughter in FC) played the battered wife. Great drama

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

jos28 wrote: »
    I think The Family was based on Roddy Doyle's 'The woman who walked into doors'. From what I remember Ger Ryan (Charlie's daughter in FC) played the battered wife. Great drama

Yes it was.

And Tracy (FC - Hilda Fay) played a one 'man' show a few years back in The Woman who walked into doors. Have to say, it was fab.

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »

Thats right, really hope i get my hands on a copy of this.

Fittle wrote: »
    Yes it was.

And Tracy (FC - Hilda Fay) played a one 'man' show a few years back in The Woman who walked into doors. Have to say, it was fab.

No "The Woman Who Walked into Doors" was a spin off from "Family" and based on Roddy Doyle's novel of the same name (which was a spin off of the TV series).

Seem to be quite blunt recently on boards for some reason sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

Far too many soaps TBH. TV3 pretended to be interested in The Clinic, but they would need to spend money something TV3 don't particularly like doing. Take a look at Ros Na Run possible one of the better soaps IMO.

Soaps are generally of their time hence they become quite dated quite quickly, Glenroe would be very different today. The Clinic was replaced by RAW and Single Handed. TV dramas end and others takeover, it is better than having a continuous series IMO.
    I dont agree. The Uk soaps are on for years eg Coronation St. 50 years, Emmerdale nearly 40 years and Eastenders 26 years. Why are those soaps on air for so long? Because they are revamped regularly with fresh new characters coming all the time, whilst still keeping alot of the old regulars for continuity. Of course RTE should have another soap eg. an english version of Ros Na Run or something similar. As for Single Handed, that is mainly funded by ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I clicked on the link but the original link seems to have been removed

I dont agree. The Uk soaps are on for years eg Coronation St. 50 years, Emmerdale nearly 40 years and Eastenders 26 years. Why are those soaps on air for so long? Because they are revamped regularly with fresh new characters coming all the time, whilst still keeping alot of the old regulars for continuity. Of course RTE should have another soap eg. an english version of Ros Na Run or something similar. As for Single Handed, that is mainly funded by ITV.

UK soap are on for far too long they need to have their hours reduced for a few years. As I said I amn't a huge fan of soap. You may watch from 5:30 to 9pm :( RTÉ's 3 argisoaps lasted nearly 30 years, The Riordan's, Breaken and Gelroe. Fair City is now in its 21st year with Ros Na Run predating TnaG (That is more than 15years).

Single Handed's first 3 series were funded entirely by RTÉ, ITV stepped in after they were successfully shown on ITV1. I am not sure how much funding either RTÉ or ITV provide to the show, it maybe equal amounts.

For RTÉ to fund an extra soap would be to decide to do away with other drama serials such as their co-productions and other serials that they produce each year. I look forward to new drama from RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

No "The Woman Who Walked into Doors" was a spin off from "Family" and based on Roddy Doyle's novel of the same name (which was a spin off of the TV series).

Seem to be quite blunt recently on boards for some reason sorry.

Is that not what was said:confused::confused:

Can we stay on topic?? I don't give two hoots about glenroe and "the family"

Fittle wrote: »
    Is that not what was said:confused::confused:

No you said the Family was a Spin off from The Woman Who Walk into Doors. Jos28 said it you agreed. You're both wrong :D
    Can we stay on topic?? I don't give two hoots about glenroe and "the family"

Yep sorry. Fair City is going through a bad phase at the moment :( I missed turlock's death. They really need to make things happen for Bob, his storyline seems slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I know her. In person. My claim to fame! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement