Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jaysus,
    Yer all writing in a thread about a work of fiction/drama. It's gotten awful serious in here in the past few pages. Way too serious.
    Each and every soap will have it's good points and bad points and this includes writing style, storylines and acting. There comes times when all three can be criticised in a soap, that doesnt make the soap rubbish. I honestly don't know of any one consistently good quality soap, they all have their bad points and from time to time the storylines get lazy, and the acting gets kook.
    I dont think this thread was ever designed to be a Fair City Superthread - check out the first post - but that is what it has turned into - and as such discussion of all things FS can take place. I dont know why people tend to constantly jump to its defence at times and I dont know why people constantly only see the negatives with it. Either way - its still a soap. No need to get to the level of personal insults and snide remarks - from either faction.
    Thats my two cents..............

And as for the current BoH murder storyline, I am loving it - dont really care how "realistic" it is, it is not a documentary and if you were to break down how ANY soap is realistic you'd realise you are overthinking it.
    Would love to see Rob get "involved" with the blonde - more Rob required.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

As if Christy wouldn't have tried to get even with Louie by now instead of going to McCoys for a pint. It's a tad unrealistic.
    Don't get me started on Dekko/Barry. Is there going to be another death there I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Kazbah wrote: »
    As if Christy wouldn't have tried to get even with Louie by now instead of going to McCoys for a pint. It's a tad unrealistic.
    Don't get me started on Dekko/Barry. Is there going to be another death there I wonder?

Its Denzo actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

My bad..... still ridiculous though! :p
    I like Sean and Finn at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

I really hope Sash and Robert become a couple. Talk about chalk and cheese......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Eradicate

Anyone know whats up with the fair city website today. No updated previews for this week up yet. Usually done on the monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

I'm not enjoying posting on this thread recently because of the comments being made about Angel01. I've been doing my best not to comment but I think it's very unfair that she has been singled out and her motives being constantly questioned. She defends FC and just expresses her views when somebody else posts something negative about FC. What's so wrong with that? This is a discussion board after all. There are plenty of posters that constantly knock FC but their motives are never brought into question. We all have the right to express our views, whether positive or negative. I'm not accusing anybody of bullying but I just feel Angel01 is being treated unfairly just because she defends a soap that she obviously really enjoys.

P.S. I don't know Angel01.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Taking a quick look at the Emmerdale thread I don't see as much negitive post other than, Actor A and B are really bad, followed with an agreement or perhaps someone else disagreeing. However Neg posting on Fair City tends to be much more hard line which eventual leads to huge numbers of Anti/Pro Fair City posts, which tend to get heated.

I think Barry is doing an okay job, but the initial scenes he was out of his depth and I do think the writers seem to give him horrible storylines, He's in that soap since the beginning, and it began with his wife having post natital depression, followed by the loss of their only child, follow by their divorce, few years later he's having an affair with one of his students (Niamh), then he has a nervous breakdown (which he won an award for), he took time out to be in Batman Begin :D, and now he's accused of being a peado and then kills one of his friends. (Oh and not to forget the sage with the alcoholic solicitor and her psycho mentor!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Fittle wrote: »
    The problem with this particular thread, as I see it, is the name.

This is the Fair City Thread.

This is not the I love Fair City Thread. Nor is it the I think everyone in Fair City deserves an Oscar Thread. Nor is it the Fair City is the most wonderful Soap Opera on TV Thread.

On other Soap Opera Threads, posters are allowed and entitled to post comments, positive and negative about the soap.

But on this thread, one poster consistently attacks (sometimes, in a very 'positive' way) anyone who DARES to comment negatively about an actor, a scene, a storyline etc, which leads alot of other posters to believe that this poster is indeed, employed by said Soap.

Anyway, I don't care enough to make any further comment, but I wanted to make the above comment because a huge proportion of the 12,000 posts around here have come from this poster, and it becomes pointless to comment, when one person monopolises a thread.

100% agree with you here. Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion but an opinion is based on the perspective of the poster- I, for example, watch FC as a comedy because i find the acting and the ludicrous situations they find themselves in so unrealistic and badly acted to be laughable. Im entitled to do this and share my observations without being shot down as "negative", "pessimistic" etc, just because my opinion is different to the majority view here (one in particular who is defo an insider in the show, nobody could have screenshots and entire plot details of FC weeks in advance without being in with the show somehow) and the mods have the cheek to call this bullying, who knows maybe they want to keep the FC thread all sunshine and balloons as the good publicity means more traffic more advertising etc etc.

In any event, remember the name of the thread "Fair City", not "Never criticise Fair City". To be fair, no matter how big a fan you are, you would want to be completely deluded not to see the glaringly obvious flaws in this soap (Barry throwing a dead body in his car in the middle of the street, a Tapas bar which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner for all ages and tastes, a small Dublin town with gangsters mixing with the respectable bsuinessmen-this would just NOT happen, cheap sets, sound issues, booms visible etc

It takes all sorts of opinions to make a thread, dont strangle it with a peppy FC agenda :rolleyes:

max life wrote: »
    I really hope Sash and Robert become a couple. Talk about chalk and cheese......

Stranger things have happened in FC.

• Advertisement

100% agree with you here. Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion but an opinion is based on the perspective of the poster- I, for example, watch FC as a comedy because i find the acting and the ludicrous situations they find themselves in so unrealistic and badly acted to be laughable. Im entitled to do this and share my observations without being shot down as "negative", "pessimistic" etc, just because my opinion is different to the majority view here (one in particular who is defo an insider in the show, nobody could have screenshots and entire plot details of FC weeks in advance without being in with the show somehow) and the mods have the cheek to call this bullying, who knows maybe they want to keep the FC thread all sunshine and balloons as the good publicity means more traffic more advertising etc etc.

In any event, remember the name of the thread "Fair City", not "Never criticise Fair City". To be fair, no matter how big a fan you are, you would want to be completely deluded not to see the glaringly obvious flaws in this soap (Barry throwing a dead body in his car in the middle of the street, a Tapas bar which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner for all ages and tastes, a small Dublin town with gangsters mixing with the respectable bsuinessmen-this would just NOT happen, cheap sets, sound issues, booms visible etc

It takes all sorts of opinions to make a thread, dont strangle it with a peppy FC agenda :rolleyes:

You hit the 13,000 post

STIG83 wrote: »
    You hit the 13,000 post

Thank you so wheres my prize :D

After reading the past few pages its now as obvious as the nose on your head that Angel01 is an insider/promoter/publicist for the show, how the hell would you know when actors are having web chats or else have weeks of spoilers and screenshots in advance, i mean come on mods-explain that? Instead of attacking people for questioning FC, why not allow a mixed set of feedback here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

(one in particular who is defo an insider in the show, nobody could have screenshots and entire plot details of FC weeks in advance without being in with the show somehow) and the mods have the cheek to call this bullying, who knows maybe they want to keep the FC thread all sunshine and balloons as the good publicity means more traffic more advertising etc etc.

There's so many things wrong with this post, its laughable...
    Would you care to back any of those statements up with proof? Of course, there is no proof, because none of it is true...
    Anyway, as Bernard Black would say "Whores will have their trinkets"*

*The quote is completely out of context and makes no sense, but f**k it, I'm entitled to post random nonsense too...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Next person to bring up this "insider crap" gets a holiday from the forum.

I'm sick of reading about it.. feel free to start a thread in the 'Conspiracy Theories' forum about it (actually, I should not I'm kidding there.. DON'T!)

But I get the impression the majority of people here don't give a "monkey's".

Let this be the end of it!

There's so many things wrong with this post, its laughable...
    Would you care to back any of those statements up with proof? Of course, there is no proof, because none of it is true...
    Anyway, as Bernard Black would say "Whores will have their trinkets"*

*The quote is completely out of context and makes no sense, but f**k it, I'm entitled to post random nonsense too...

Lovely- insults. All i wanted was an answer to the question:

How is it that one particular person has access to days and weeks worth of storylines along with screenshots? If you cant answer without trying to insult me dont answer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

Basq wrote: »
    Next person to bring up this "insider crap" gets a holiday from the forum.

I'm sick of reading about it.. feel free to start a thread in the 'Conspiracy Theories' forum about it (actually, I should not I'm kidding there.. DON'T!)

But I get the impression the majority of people here don't give a "monkey's".

Let this be the end of it!

Amen to that!!

Back to the show. Thought the location where they shot the grave stuff was excellent, suitably eerie!! Barry did a admirable job with what was a very clunky script! He is getting let down badly by denzo in this story. The boy cannot act. All he did last night was rub his face to show us he was agitated. Hopefully barry kills him!

I still am looking for those booms (though I only pop in and out of FC), Most soaps have cheap sets TBH, again this is an issue across all soaps regardless.

Again all soaps have "gangsters" mixing with "respectable" business men.

You would rarely get such a post about whats complete wrong with Emmerdale on the Emmerdale Thread even though one of the biggest glaring problems with that soap is that it is a Rural Soap based in Ultra Urban England at times.

How is it that one particular person has access to days and weeks worth of storylines along with screenshots? If you cant answer without trying to insult me dont answer at all.

She takes it from the FC website

http://www.rte.ie/tv/faircity/episodes.html

Elmo wrote: »
    She takes it from the FC website

http://www.rte.ie/tv/faircity/episodes.html

Fair enough, thanks for answering my question.

On another note, is there any way at all to see a missed episode of FC? Is there an omnibus or is it the case where if you miss it you dont get another chance, i understand they dont show it on Player?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,176 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Carol and Louie have lost their spark now and have become very boring imo

• Advertisement

On another note, is there any way at all to see a missed episode of FC? Is there an omnibus or is it the case where if you miss it you dont get another chance, i understand they dont show it on Player?

RTÉ One in the Afternoon the following day.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Carol and Louie have lost their spark now and have become very boring imo

Yes. It was really a disastrous storyline. I used to like both characters. But Louie got shown up for being desperately wooden and a charisma vacuum. Carol is just unlikeable for what she did to christy.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,176 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone know when Tracey is back? Come on Angel :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Lovely- insults. All i wanted was an answer to the question:

digitalspy.co.uk (i think thats the url) has stuff too.
    if you really dig through google you can find out some good FC related stuff. i've even come across hilarious old clips on youtube!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anyone know when Tracey is back? Come on Angel :p

yea i wanna know this too!!!!! i miss tracey!
    i miss carol & tracey being partners in crime!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

pavcro10 wrote: »
    Amen to that!!

Back to the show. Thought the location where they shot the grave stuff was excellent, suitably eerie!! Barry did a admirable job with what was a very clunky script! He is getting let down badly by denzo in this story. The boy cannot act. All he did last night was rub his face to show us he was agitated. Hopefully barry kills him!

Anybody else notice the NCT had expired on Barrys car?
    I've too much time on my hands :P

hiscan wrote: »

LOL!!! Post of the year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Speak Now

hiscan wrote: »

I could forgive everything else he's done but this is a step to far :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭lorsric

Am liking the Dean, Caoimhe and Dillon family storyline. Dean is such a charmer, but also can be a cad, which is great.
    Want to see Neasa and Wayne on screen together more, they have a good chemistry, and create a sense of humour together.

Barry is progressing well, his backstory is so well established, would be great to have McAlleer return, just to shake things up some more. Good dynamic between these two characters.

Also, want to see Paul's son return, create some havoc ;-)

Think the younger cast members are fantastic, and are capable of carrying storylines, so want to see some more of that.

As for Dolores and Pete, seems a bit cold, add some more romance and need some more Avi too, could see him with Neasa or perhaps Sasha, and a hurt Robert/or make Robert realise he likes Sasha.

• Advertisement

Seriously, what's the story with the website? It's Tuesday and it still hasn't been updated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement