Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭The Mary Clarke

max life wrote: »
    Sash is fast becoming one of my favourite characters. She is one fiesty chick!!!! :D

I can see this Barry/Denzo storyline dragging on and on. I hope its finished by the end of the summer. This is SoapLand.....secrets always come out in the end !;)
    Yeah I like Sash too....end of summer....yikes I was hoping that the Denzo/Barry thing would be done by the end of the week:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

angel01 wrote: »
    In fairness again, they can afford to run huge storylines

Except they don't!

Sorry. But what's a "huge storyline" as opposed to a Fair City storyline anyway?

Here a few months ago, we had people moaning about Fair City's "dragged out" domestic abuse storyline....even tho it only lasted about 2 months between the time of the first assault and the final resolution. A unique, different, original storyline that they hadn't done before.

Corrie on the other hand have had their 3rd or 4th resident serial killer of the last 10 years running around knocking people off for the guts of TWO YEARS that's only coming to a climax this week!!

The thing that strikes me about Corrie is the fact that you can go several weeks without seeing an episode, sit down and pick it up again straight away because the stories are STILL at the exact same point as they were the last feckin time you saw it. And it's easy to see why. If each episode has a running time of about 23 minutes, study the breakdown of how those 23 minutes are spent. The vast majority of the time, all bar 3 to 5 minutes of it, is killed away by time killer's involving charachters not involved in the current major storyline, sitting around in the pub talking absolute ****e! It's a bit different this week cos two long (VERY LONG) running stories are coming to a head. And then there's the other RIDICULOUS story of yer man Graham marrying a complete stranger to help her stay in the country - which if it happened in Fair City would be laughed off the stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

max life wrote: »
    I can see this Barry/Denzo storyline dragging on and on. I hope its finished by the end of the summer. This is SoapLand.....secrets always come out in the end !;)

End of Summer - I'm thinking it will be the big Xmas storyline - maybe just after Barry marries Vivienne everything will come out. Barry has a habit of killing people over Christmas doesn't he...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Sash can pull a pint for me anytime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

deelite wrote: »
    End of Summer - I'm thinking it will be the big Xmas storyline - maybe just after Barry marries Vivienne everything will come out. Barry has a habit of killing people over Christmas doesn't he...:D

That's what we tell children round my way. "If you don't behave at Christmas, Barry O'Hanlon will crash his sled into the roof and kill five."

• Advertisement

I agree with everything Laois_Man said about Corrie, and it made me think about how people watch soap. If you miss a couple of episodes, it's sometimes easier not to bother tuning in. Soap watching is a habit, but the habit breaks very easily. Then things move on, you don't care about the new people and you might never come back to regular viewing.

This is why I think the actors are so wrong to keep Fair City off the Player, and now Saorview. If you miss an episode of any other soap, you can catch up online. But every time you miss an episode of Fair City, it's like an invitation to stop watching altogether.

They are giving a real advantage to the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I agree with everything Laois_Man said about Corrie, and it made me think about how people watch soap. If you miss a couple of episodes, it's sometimes easier not to bother tuning in. Soap watching is a habit, but the habit breaks very easily. Then things move on, you don't care about the new people and you might never come back to regular viewing.

This is why I think the actors are so wrong to keep Fair City off the Player, and now Saorview. If you miss an episode of any other soap, you can catch up online. But every time you miss an episode of Fair City, it's like an invitation to stop watching altogether.

They are giving a real advantage to the competition.

I series link the show with UPC and I would be lost without the DVR but they at least need to get it on the player. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

If they're not going to put it on the Player and not going to allow it on RTE+1 then at the very least they could keep the repeat to a set time.
    I'm pretty sure they promised to do this at one point yet it's bouncing around the schedule now like a schizophrenic politician. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

have not read any spoilers or any piece in the papers, but is Ester's secret that she may have had a son in the past and he now wants to meet up with her. Maybe its she had him before she was married and put him up for adoption. And her holier than thou image of no sex before marriage etc will all come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Did they not already do that storyline with the old woman who lived with Dolores?

• Advertisement

xalot wrote: »
    Did they not already do that storyline with the old woman who lived with Dolores?

Malachy? :)

What will happen with Esther is a bit different to the Ursula story..:)

Must say I am loving Bob right now.. I think this Sarah story will run and run,
    especially with Barry & Vivienne getting closer and romantically linked

I think Sash will be good in McCoys, give it a bit of youth... wish they would have her interacting with Cass again, those two together are great to watch!

Jeepers, Dolores gets more attractive by the episode!! :p

Where have Wayne & Pete gone :(:(:(

I still laugh at the odd mention that Avi gets, have they all forgotten about poor Felix :D:D

xalot wrote: »

Yes, but Soap bosses have a habit of re-cycling story lines.

Is it me, or was the fuirst scene in part two filmed different to usual. Looked a little odd, out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Is it me, or was the fuirst scene in part two filmed different to usual. Looked a little odd, out of place.

A kind of "film effect"??

Shakyfan wrote: »
    A kind of "film effect"??

exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Alright folks, so the voting stages of the boards.ie soap awards 2011 have begun and over the next few days the nominations will be revealed and voting for each category will last 7 days.
    Best Soap ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056287226 ) and Best Actor ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056287295 ) are already up and more categories will be added gradually, so keep an eye out...
    Obviously Fair City, easily managed to get enough nominations to be a contender for Best Soap, but I have to say I was shocked at how many of the lads got nominated over and over for Best Actor...
    Bryan Murray, Maclean Burke, Victor Burke, Sam Peter Corry, Enda Oates, Eamon Morrissey and Alan O'Neill are all in the running, which really proves how strong a cast the soap has...

Please remember to vote in all the categories throughout the next few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

I just got an email from Sarah. Shes in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jenny30

exactly.
    There was definitely something different about it I liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Yeah it seemed to be filmed differently, but it seemed to be only one scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I noticed it too, it was as if FC went into movie mode.

Think recent scenes have really showed Eileen Colgan (Ester) up to be a bit limited as an actress!

Is the idea Barry has with Sarah such that when she is discovered missing, Bob will be prime suspect? If so, they'll have to do a lot to make the case against him a lot stronger (I hope he hasn't deleted that e-mail). Bob being seen having a row with Sarah just before She went into Barry's house TO MEET HER DEATH would have been clever. Either way, as I have said before, Barry's sudden change of personality into hard-crime mastermind is a bit hard to accept! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Think recent scenes have really showed Eileen Colgan (Ester) up to be a bit limited as an actress!

What you mean they changed her name from Mina :rolleyes:

Elmo wrote: »
    What you mean they changed her name from Mina :rolleyes:

I don't get it!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I don't get it!

She is playing the same role she played in Glenroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Alice1

Yesssss, Myna Timlin an' then she married the former Garda in Glenroe....Mick something

Alice1 wrote: »
    Yesssss, Myna Timlin an' then she married the former Garda in Glenroe....Mick something

Kiline

Can we keep the Glenroe talk seperate as this is a thread for Fair City.. (and I hated Glenroe :p)

I must say I love the change in Barry... there is no stopping him and when he gets involved with Vivienne, it will all make it all the more interesting :D

Here is the mysterious "David" :)

0004a3a2-545.jpg

Esther's secret man is revealed!

And, it's not who Charlie thinks it is.

Since Esther received a letter from the mysterious David Osbourne, she has not been herself. She has been alienating Charlie, hitting the pastries and generally been in a bit of a tizzy.

So who is David Osbourne, a long lost love? He is, of sorts; David is Esther's son whom she gave up for adoption fifty years ago. David was born a thalidomide baby, and initially Esther tried to keep him. But struggling on her own as a single mother, coupled with David's unusual condition and the demands it put on her, it almost broke her.

Fifty years on, David is a bright, confident and successful man, but he wants to know more about his biological mother. Will he find they have a lot in common? Does he have her 'curiosity'? And how will Esther cope with being the subject of gossip?

David is played by Mat Fraser.

You can hear his interview on Radio 1 here: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/alifelessordinary/

More information on him here:
    The English actor Mat Fraser, who appears from next week in Fair City on RTE 1 Television as David Osbourne, the son Esther gave up for adoption.

Mat has shortened arms - the effect of the drug Thalidomide which his mother was prescribed while she was pregnant with him. He was a drummer in various rock bands for 16 years, and since 1995 has been a professional actor. He also writes his own shows; his solo comedy show From Freak To Clique has toured extensively and was on in the Axis in Ballymun last year.

More information on Mat on http://www.matfraser.co.uk/

angel01 wrote: »
    Can we keep the Glenroe talk seperate as this is a thread for Fair City.. (and I hated Glenroe :p)

The irony of that statement. I was just pointing out that at times she plays a similar role in Fair City, however she isn't as much of a busy body. Her daughter was raped by Dick Moran's son, major storyline which saw the daughter go to Sargent Killen's daughter for advise, who at the time was having an on again off again affair with Dick Moran. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

Is it me or is FC quite boring at the moment? This Charlie/Esther storyline is just awful. We all know that they will get engaged and probably a quick wedding! Boring and predictable! If it weren't for the Barry/Denzo story it would be the worst ever episodes imo. I love all the Bishops. Alot of things really annoy me about FC, but a recent story in particular ie. the Tidy towns story, nothing happened other than afew pathetic looking hanging baskets and afew windows boxes. Now they have a "clean up Carraigstown" campaign and still nothing new happening, re. the street. Surely everyone knows that the tidy towns judges don't particularly want to see hanging baskets/window boxes, they want to see trees and shrubbery planted. Also houses and other buildings (even derilect ones) freshly painted. I would have thought this would have been an opportunity for the powers that be in FC to revamp the exterior set. It just looks so miserable, in particular the businesses side of the street.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement