Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Kazbah wrote: »
    Errrr Dean clearly has no real interest in Caoimhe, why is he trying to keep things going with her all of a sudden?

I don't know but I think that Caoimhe had a mental breakdown in Kilkenny I'm sure there was some mention of it a while back when she was unable to "help out" in the house and everything was being left to the younger sister. She has a very childlike behaviour in some of her scenes - not sure how old she's meant to be. (I'd say she'll probably make threats to Dean about ending her life if he leaves her).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

deelite wrote: »
    I don't know but I think that Caoimhe had a mental breakdown in Kilkenny I'm sure there was some mention of it a while back when she was unable to "help out" in the house and everything was being left to the younger sister. She has a very childlike behaviour in some of her scenes - not sure how old she's meant to be. (I'd say she'll probably make threats to Dean about ending her life if he leaves her).
    You could be right, it has not been properly explained why she dropped out of collage yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

padd b1975 wrote: »
    You could be right, it has not been properly explained why she dropped out of collage yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some history there. I think there's a lot to be discovered about the Dillons yet.

A few people have criticised the Station, and I have to say I agree. I like the fact that it serves micro-brew beers, and I like the idea of a place for the younger characters to go - but it's too bright and airy to be comfortable as a pub. It needs to be more cluttered or something. Maybe get in a pool table, given how Finn got the money to open up.

One more thing from the recent episodes. I think Damien has been very good, even with not much to do. I love actors who aren't just big-game players, but do good work even in small scenes. I'm thinking of his look when he spotted some tension between Dean and Yvonne, but there's lots of examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Good point re Caoimhe. She does not come across as bright enough to have gotten into med!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I wonder if today's announcement that RTE are to cut 70 jobs will effect Fair City?

Maybel Caoibhe will be one of them! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

ever notice how some people deny they watch fair city and say its rubbish etc. yet, at tea break the same people can name all the characters and be up to date with the latest story lines?? "it was on in the background while i was cleaning the kitchen/ having a few beers........". :D

seriously though, the station pub- theres only ever 5 people in it. that spiral staircase too.............imagine trying to manage that after a feed of beer! up or down!:D

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some history there. I think there's a lot to be discovered about the Dillons yet.

A few people have criticised the Station, and I have to say I agree. I like the fact that it serves micro-brew beers, and I like the idea of a place for the younger characters to go - but it's too bright and airy to be comfortable as a pub. It needs to be more cluttered or something. Maybe get in a pool table, given how Finn got the money to open up.

One more thing from the recent episodes. I think Damien has been very good, even with not much to do. I love actors who aren't just big-game players, but do good work even in small scenes. I'm thinking of his look when he spotted some tension between Dean and Yvonne, but there's lots of examples.
    Yeah spot on regarding Damien,one of the better "actors" Works well with Wayne in comedy story lines.

ever notice how some people deny they watch fair city and say its rubbish etc. yet, at tea break the same people can name all the characters and be up to date with the latest story lines?? "it was on in the background while i was cleaning the kitchen/ having a few beers........". :D

seriously though, the station pub- theres only ever 5 people in it. that spiral staircase too.............imagine trying to manage that after a feed of beer! up or down!:D
    RTE crew have to adjust the lighting somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Definitely this shows weakest point is how it just plucks relationships from thin air with absolutely no build up. I mean, Finn and Neasa?? Where on earth did that come from? No previous flirting or chat, just bang, straight into a relationship. Ditto Jo and Tommy, Suzanne and David, Yvonne and Dean, Fair City simply cannot build realistic relationships and then its even worse when it comes to conflict- not 4 weeks ago, in the space of one episode, Keith and Orla were on the brink on splitting up and now they are happy as Larry with a wedding on the way. Weak and very off-putting. Come on make the relationships more easy to swallow :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Definitely this shows weakest point is how it just plucks relationships from thin air with absolutely no build up. I mean, Finn and Neasa?? Where on earth did that come from? No previous flirting or chat, just bang, straight into a relationship. Ditto Jo and Tommy, Suzanne and David, Yvonne and Dean, Fair City simply cannot build realistic relationships and then its even worse when it comes to conflict- not 4 weeks ago, in the space of one episode, Keith and Orla were on the brink on splitting up and now they are happy as Larry with a wedding on the way. Weak and very off-putting. Come on make the relationships more easy to swallow :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have to say I agree with you 100% on this one..:)

• Advertisement

angel01 wrote: »
    I have to say I agree with you 100% on this one..:)

Have we just agreed on something? I think i just saw a pig fly! ;)

Fair City could be better if it just built up the relationships a bit so we as the audience arent knocked for six when someone like Finn and Nease suddenly get together or else Tommy and Jo having an affair out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

When Neasa was going out with Turlough neither of them could move an inch without Tommy breathing down their neck threatening Turlough with all sorts if he didn't treat her right.

However Dean can treat Caoimhe like something he scraped off his shoe (even if she does deserve it :pac:) and Tommy doesn't even seem to be aware that they're in a relationship. :confused:

Ok, granted he's a bit distracted with the Jo thing but there's no real consistency there.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    When Neasa was going out with Turlough neither of them could move an inch without Tommy breathing down their neck threatening Turlough with all sorts if he didn't treat her right.

However Dean can treat Caoimhe like something he scraped off his shoe (even if she does deserve it :pac:) and Tommy doesn't even seem to be aware that they're in a relationship. :confused:

Ok, granted he's a bit distracted with the Jo thing but there's no real consistency there.

I think Tommy doesnt step in with Caoimhe as he sees her as normal, being with someone her own age rather than the older Turlough whom he was suspicious of. But all a bit hypocritical when he is probabloy going to have an affair..

Have we just agreed on something? I think i just saw a pig fly! ;)

Fair City could be better if it just built up the relationships a bit so we as the audience arent knocked for six when someone like Finn and Nease suddenly get together or else Tommy and Jo having an affair out of the blue.

:D

I think there were glimpses of the possibility of the affair with Jo & Tommy for a few weeks, I remember them getting on well (around the window box time) but in the end, it was all too rushed and unrealistic.

Dean & Yvonne is just bizarre and the idea of Dean suddenly pulling all these women, doesn't wash with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i have missed fair city for 3 weeks as i was away. how did the barry story line get fizzled out?

i haven't got anything to record shows while away, so i only watched from thursday night on. i was like who is this guy hanging around suzanne? what happened to suzanne's face? i worked that out quite quickly... but still getting to grips with everything else. i guess alot changed in three weeks. all these love stories.
    that scene with jo & tommy was so cringeworthy.

agree about caoimhe .. jaysus she's fierce annoying!

where did esther's son come from!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sandwichboard

InisMor wrote: »
    Anybody else think that Tommy was especially unperturbed after the kiss - as though nothing had happened?

Very out of character for the honest to goodness family man.

I think he's been quite flirtatious from the beginning, so maybe he has form!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sandwichboard

I'm really sorry, Wanderer2010, but I cannot agree. All of those relationships have been building. How did you miss it?

Although, as for Keith & Orla, I don't know what to say...

i have missed fair city for 3 weeks as i was away. how did the barry story line get fizzled out?

i haven't got anything to record shows while away, so i only watched from thursday night on. i was like who is this guy hanging around suzanne? what happened to suzanne's face? i worked that out quite quickly... but still getting to grips with everything else. i guess alot changed in three weeks. all these love stories.
    that scene with jo & tommy was so cringeworthy.

agree about caoimhe .. jaysus she's fierce annoying!

where did esther's son come from!?

That is David, he sent Esther a letter and has been ringing her and they met up a few times, he helped save Suzanne when she was getting beaten up.

Welcome back :D

Spoilers!

Sunday
    A shy Jo meets Tommy in the street and tells him that their fling was just midsummer madness. Dean meets Neasa and suggests to her that Caoimhe is not to be trusted. But she walks around the corner and spots Finn and Caoimhe talking. Caoimhe sees Neasa and touches Finn's hand and arms in a flirtatious manner. But unknown to Neasa, Finn is begging Caoimhe to set things straight. Neasa spots Caoimhe and screams at her that she is a schemer. Suzanne calls to Vinos and asks Yvonne if she can have some time off as she and David are going away for a while.

Laura suggests a pulling contest to Wayne, and Dean and Leo get involved as well. Damien refuses to be part of it. They agree to meet up in the Station later on that evening. Jo and Dermot decide to take Ben on a family outing and Jo runs back to the house to get items for the picnic. She meets Tommy on the way and they have a quickie in her house. She agrees to an affair with him.

Esther returns home earlier than expected and she catches David and Suzanne getting frisky on her couch. While Suzanne frantically looks for her clothes Esther calls her a tramp. She then kicks Suzanne out. Disgusted David follows her. He catches up with Suzanne and tells her that they should still go on their trip and not to listen to Esther as she is 'an auld bat'. Finn tells Neasa that the only person running their relationship is her.

David goes back to Esther to collect his stuff. They argue and he leaves telling her that he might not come back. A devastated Esther realises that she has gone too far. Bob admits to Leo that he'll miss being in charge behind the bar and being back has done him the world of good. Caoimhe comes clean telling Neasa that she plotted the whole thing to make Finn look bad. They make up. A guilty Jo turns down Dermot's sexual advances. Meanwhile, in the Dillons' house, Tommy agrees to sex with Judith. The 'pulling' begins and everyone 'scores' apart from a shocked Wayne. He proclaims that it was a fix. Finn and Neasa finally get together, but when things get steamy she blows it by calling Finn by Turlough's name.

Tuesday
    Christy meets Mark, who is reacting angrily to a letter he has received in the post. Sean is delighted when Carol and Louie arrive back from their holiday but is disappointed when they don't acknowledge all the hard work he did. Decco fails to convince Eileen to forget about Gary Morgan's debt. She persuades Decco to have a word with him. Niamh questions Orla if she is really serious about getting married to Keith, but Orla calms Niamh down when she asks her to be bridesmaid.

Esther admits to Charlie that she said some terrible things to David before he left and she's worried he won't come back. Mark comes close to alienating Sean with his aggressive behavior. He apologises to Sean, explaining he got a letter from the dole saying that he can't get any money because he is at university and asks him to meet up later. Carol feels tired and weak but tries to hide it from Louie.

Orla meets Keith and chides him for not giving more consideration to their wedding. Ray then makes matters worse when he lets slip that it's Una's old engagement ring she is wearing. Vivienne points out to Christy that the shop has very little items that she wants, and that's why she shops at the supermarket. Zumo is impressed when Mark stand up to him and he sees potential in him. Orla storms into Keith's workplace and throws the engagement ring at him. She tells him he is a cheapskate and she feels like his second choice.

Mark approaches Zumo and asks for the phone which Zumo borrowed back. Decco tries to bully Mark but Mark intimidates him and Decco backs down. Sean asks Mark what was he playing at and Mark implies to Sean that he is a coward. Sean tells him to straighten himself out. Charlie advises Esther that she should apologise to Suzanne if she wants to patch things up with David. She learns from Cass that Suzanne is away and suspects that she has gone away with David.

Ray tries to apologise to Keith but he tells him he let him down and calls him Judas. Keith goes home and admits to Pete that he doesn't have the money to buy Orla a new ring. Mark calls to the Bishops' house to try and talk things through with Zumo but Decco warns him that he's a dead man walking. Mark replies that he will fight Decco any time anywhere

Wednesday
    Decco insists to Zumo that they need to sort out Mark. Carol admits to Louie that she is depressed because today is Lorcan's birthday. She tells him she doesn't want any fuss and she is going to keep herself busy. Niamh asks Keith if he was ever going to tell the truth about the engagement ring. Orla tells him that he will need to do something spectacular to change her mind. Charlie encourages Esther to look on the bright side of life and she tells him how appreciative she is to have him as her partner.

Carol calls Ali to cheer herself up but has a dizzy spell. She hangs up and lies on the ground. Vivienne finds her there and tells her to take deep breaths. Cass advises Keith to sell Una's ring and buy a new one. Keith wonders if it will raise enough money for what she wants. Vivienne brings Carol to the surgery. Carol describes her symptoms and she's surprised when Vivienne asks her to take a pregnancy test. She assures her that it's just for process of elimination. Mark watches as the Bishops stalk Halpin's house. He manages to avoid them but arms himself with Damien's hammer. Zumo thinks that they should get Gary Morgan to beat him up.

Carol is shocked to learn she is pregnant. She is terrified that she has done something wrong to the baby. She wonders how far gone she is and tells Vivienne that she'll need time to get her head around this. Vivienne does another test and announces that she is in her second trimester. She leaves the surgery and throws away her cigarettes. Denzo hatches a plan with Decco to get their revenge on Mark. They decide to send Mark to get the 80 euro from Gary Morgan and that Gary won't pay and he'll beat him up. A shocked Carol goes back to McCoys and fails to tell Louie that she is pregnant.

Zumo asks Mark to do the job telling him that he is off the hook if he does and a shaken Mark agrees. Orla encourages Keith to swap Una's ring for a knock off from the Bishops. He decides to go and get it to show Orla how good the fake one looked. A distraught Carol visits Lorcan's grave and talks to him about her worries regarding the pregnancy. Keith gets the knock off ring and gets down on one knee and proposes. Keith tells her that they will pretend to everyone that it's the real deal and a delighted Orla accepts. Mark is terrified when he meets the Morgans to get the money back from them. When they refuse he takes out a hammer and goes after the brothers.

Thursday
    Damien meets a battered and bruised Mark. He questions Mark about it and Mark lashes out at him. Carol overreacts when Louie questions why she has given up drink and cigarettes. Louie's kindness makes her feel guilty for not telling him. A delighted Orla shows off her ring to everyone in Vinos. But she confides in Niamh that they got it from the Bishops. Eileen arrives back to the Bishop house and thanks the boys for getting her money back. They are shocked and confused that Mark managed to get it. She told him that when he met Mark his face was beaten to a pulp.

Carol calls to Vivienne and admits that she can't tell Louie she is pregnant as he might blame her for her unhealthy lifestyle when she was pregnant. She tells her that she is thinking of having an abortion. Vivienne tells her she has nothing to be worried about. Niamh asks Louie if Carol is alright and makes Louie think she is ill. He becomes even more suspicious when Vivienne urges him to ask Carol about her health. Esther hears Cass talking to Suzanne on the phone and demands to speak to her. When Cass refuses to give over the phone Esther storms off.

Louie corners Carol and she admits to him that she is pregnant. He is overjoyed and allays all her fears about the baby. But she persuades him to keep it secret for a while. Mark tells the shocked Bishop boys that he fought the Morgans himself. Impressed by Mark's aggression Zumo insists that Mark should be part of the business. But Decco is not happy that Mark is getting all this praise and tries to get Denzo on side to beat up Mark.

Orla goes into Vinos and starts to brag about her ring again. A grumpy Esther then embarrasses her by telling everyone it is fake. Orla denies it and asks Keith to tell Esther how much he paid for it. He tries to back out of it and an utterly humiliated Orla slaps Keith on the face. Furious he follows her and demands to know why he made a fool out of him. They fight and she slaps him again on the face. Mark is buoyed when Zumo praises him for his fearless fight with the Morgans. Carol finally reveals to Louie her real worry about the baby. She tells him that she is five months gone and there is a possibility that it's Christy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

haha
    didn't we say that there would be a pregnancy christy/louie story line months ago? JAYSIS! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Does anyone else think its just set up for that young wan to keep leading Mark on, and then she ends up rejecting him and then he just beats the living sh*te out of her.

haha
    didn't we say that there would be a pregnancy christy/louie story line months ago? JAYSIS! :P

I am looking forward to this storyline..
    but surely if she is 5 months, she would be a bit bigger?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

aramush wrote: »
    Does anyone else think its just set up for that young wan to keep leading Mark on, and then she ends up rejecting him and then he just beats the living sh*te out of her.

Which Young wan,

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Which Young wan,

Dearbhla I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,171 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope
    Carol's baby is Christy's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Kazbah wrote: »
    Good point re Caoimhe. She does not come across as bright enough to have gotten into med!!

Ah now, I'd say it was a good memory that gor her into Med.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Ah now, I'd say it was a good memory that gor her into Med.

Ah I was sure she had an autoque :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek: Whos the fella with the short arms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Great to see Suzane's face has gone through a miracle healing process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

:eek: Whos the fella with the short arms?
    Esther's son.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement